PDA

View Full Version : Can I use McKees paint coating on glass?

Pages : [1] 2

Knxwledge
06-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Can I use mckees 37 paint coating on glass, Including windshield?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-14-2017, 09:47 PM
It's a *paint* coating. Sure, you can use it on glass. You may or may not get desirable results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calendyr
06-15-2017, 04:52 AM
I would not use it on the windshield. It's not designed for that and you don't want to have visibility issues if it fails during a rain storm. For windshield, stick with coatings designed to it or use Aquapel twice a year. Also if you don't want to be bothered, use Rain-X windshield washer fluid. It costs about a dollar or two more than standard windshield washer but you always have hydrophobic effect on the windshield without the need to re-apply a coating every time the wipers destroy the one in place.

As for the rest of the glass. I have only used McKee's paint coating once. It's very hard to get it to finish perfectly clear on glass. If I were you I would give it a try and if you don't like it just polish it off. Otherwise, paint sealant is durable on glass, so that is always a good option. I usually use either Meg's D156 x-press quick wax or CarPro Reload on glass and have been really happy with both.

idriveblackcars
06-15-2017, 05:01 AM
I also just use a paint sealant on glass. And use a spray wax when it gets dirty. I also use ONR in my windshield tank when I need a good spray while driving. Windows are always clean, clear and smooth.

TTQ B4U
06-15-2017, 06:28 AM
Not sure it would adhere and work as you desire. That said, I've used their glass coating and it's just meh IMO. The best product I've used for super smooth wiper action and plenty of hydrophobic properties is optimum opti-seal.

Eldorado2k
06-15-2017, 06:41 AM
I've used it on my windshield twice with proper prep and didn't notice a difference, even laying down 2 coats... Same thing when I tried it on wheels.

Knxwledge
06-15-2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys. I asked because I just applied McKees paint coating to the whole car and wanted to see if it will work. But after doing that, just not a fan of the process in a way. Should've just stuck to my WGDGPS.

Do I have to polish out the whole car again to get rid of the Paint Coating? Or can I apply WGDGPS on top of it?

Knxwledge
06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
I've used it on my windshield twice with proper prep and didn't notice a difference, even laying down 2 coats... Same thing when I tried it on wheels.

I used it on my wheels but like you said, I didn't notice that much difference after.

What are you using for your wheels now?

The Guz
06-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Thanks guys. I asked because I just applied McKees paint coating to the whole car and wanted to see if it will work. But after doing that, just not a fan of the process in a way. Should've just stuck to my WGDGPS.

Do I have to polish out the whole car again to get rid of the Paint Coating? Or can I apply WGDGPS on top of it?

Needs to be polished to remove the coating in order to get back to bare paint.

Eldorado2k
06-15-2017, 11:45 AM
I used it on my wheels but like you said, I didn't notice that much difference after.

What are you using for your wheels now?

Nothing as far as protection... I just spray/rinse off Megs D143 Non Acid Wheel Cleaner once a week and they come perfectly clean.

FUNX650
06-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Can I use mckees 37
paint coating on glass

IMO (strictly from a technical perspective):
McKee's 37 Paint Coating should also
be compatible with auto-glass.

1.) Silica (silicon dioxide) is used
to make (among other things):
-ceramics;
-glass.

2.) McKee's 37 Paint Coating is described
as being a nano-glass ceramic coating.
(Check out McKee's 37 Glass Coating
product description)

Including windshield?
I don't do Windshield Coatings...
regardless the brand.

Before you would try any Coatings
on windshields...let me suggest to
always apply them passenger side
first ("The Test Spot").

Bob

PaulMys
06-15-2017, 06:27 PM
I also just use a paint sealant on glass. And use a spray wax when it gets dirty. I also use ONR in my windshield tank when I need a good spray while driving. Windows are always clean, clear and smooth.

Wow. Great idea.

Funny you should say that. I just did my entire truck (paint, glass, trim, tires, interior) last weekend, and today I went out to get the layer of pollen off of it as it lives outside.

Made up a QD from ONR, and it cleaned the wind shield better than almost any glass cleaner I've ever tried. And not one damn streak!

Headed out to put some ONR in the washer reservoir.............:xyxthumbs:

Rsurfer
06-15-2017, 06:47 PM

What did you not like about the coating. Did you polish before applying the coating? Coatings are not a magic bullet, prep is 80-90% of the end results

VeloNYC
06-15-2017, 06:55 PM
IMO (strictly from a technical perspective):

I don't do Windshield Coatings...
regardless the brand.

Bob

Is there a solid reason for this? I find it is extremely inconvenient to have a bare windshield when it snowing or raining.

FUNX650
06-15-2017, 07:51 PM
https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3016.JPG

You go first...

Is there a solid reason for your
carving up the text of my original
posting, (seen directly below), in
the particular manner that you did?

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_3015.JPG

:)

Bob