PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA Closing

Racin10s
12-08-2007, 09:51 AM
End of the line for CompUSA / 103 stores to be sold or closed after holiday sales (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/08/BU3ETQI3S.DTL)

Looks like they will be having closing sales at most of the stores that are left...

Reddwarf
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I heard about this on NPR this morning. They said competition on computers from the big box retailers like Best Buy did them in.

supercharged
12-08-2007, 10:52 AM
End of the line for CompUSA / 103 stores to be sold or closed after holiday sales (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/08/BU3ETQI3S.DTL)

Looks like they will be having closing sales at most of the stores that are left...
I see...they are not closing all of them, are they?
Well, the way I look at it is the idea of "I wanna make more money by raising the prices" isn't gonna work anymore. Comsumers want better quality, and cheaper prices...

Pauly6401
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah, they closed a lot down earlier this year, which it mentions in the article.

Seriously though, I never thought they had fantastic deals and I have always been skeptical about the computers they sell in places like Besty Buy and Circuit City anyways, so basing your whole business around that when you can get stuff mail-ordered to your door from Dell or Alienware is a little risky in today's world. Usually for cheaper than you would pay in store, too.

Fly bye
12-08-2007, 12:05 PM
I see...they are not closing all of them, are they?
Just the ones that don't sell

http://www.sfgate.com/templates/brands/chronicle/images/chronicle_logo.gif

Privately held CompUSA, controlled by Mexican financier Carlos Slim Helu's Grupo Carso SA, said discussions were under way to sell certain stores in key markets. Stores that can't be sold will be closed.

ScottB
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
no offense but Best Buy is becoming the Walmart on Electronic and Computer Chains. I hear they are adding DELL as we speak too.

Z06-Goose
12-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I bought my Gateway PC from them. I didn't think their prices were too bad, as I remember shopping around for the best deal two years ago :)

Stittville Ed
12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
no offense but Best Buy is becoming the Walmart on Electronic and Computer Chains.

I think you hit the nail on the hear.

Did some work for them so I got to spend a few days at a store and see how the inside of the store works :-)))

tripperfx3
12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
I worked at Best Buy and like you said they are becoming the Wal-Mart of electronics. They are starting to use alot of the same business practices as Wal-Mart by buying in bulk and selling on volume.

The thing with CompUSA does suck though. After i worked at Best Buy i worked for Media Play for years. I loved working there as i was able to connect with the customers better and actually had customers that would bring me food and stuff and that never happened at Best Buy. I was with Media Play while they were going through their closings and it was really tough on all the employees.

killrflake
12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
It's become almost impossible to get real one on one service any more, the
smaller stores just can't servive. Best Buy is the big guy on the block right now untill they force the lesser chains out of business and they start edging their prices up, and then maybe a new monster may raise it's head with even lower prices and so on and so on. I heard a rumor that Dell bought Alienware, anybody confirm that for me?

BigFloppy
12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
IF anyone wants to buy a brandname line Lenovo (IBM) they have both refurbs AND brand new

Here's this is where to go...

IBM Contractor Purchase Program (http://www.ibm.com/shop/us/cpp)
(login using 906030 as the access code number)

julian
12-11-2007, 02:46 AM
less competition= higher prices and less customer service..:(

Racin10s
12-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Just heard that the one near me is going to close and they are liquidating their inventory starting tomorrow.