PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about HD Speed

tampatopless
06-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Will be using it on a 2014 Torch Red mustang. Swirls are kinda bad but not horrible. Probably got most out with Megs Compound on Orange pad week or so ago.

My question is how to use the product. The videos and instructions are pretty clear - do 3 to 5 passes on a small section until it begins to dry and then wipe off.

However, a couple of detailers on how suggested letting Speed set up for 30 minutes or so.

What do you guys think?

Plus, I only have 5 pads - two orange and three white. Was gonna use the two orange on the hood and the rear (where swirls seem to be the worst) and then use a white each on the two sides. Good game plan?

TMQ
06-14-2017, 03:11 PM
When using an AIO in general, use a polishing pad. The AIO should be applied "heavy."

You should generally use about 6 - 7 pads for either compounding, polishing or an AIO.
Only need one pad to apply wax or LSP.

As for your pads---I'm not familiar with what you have. I'm sure others will jump in.

Tom

custmsprty
06-14-2017, 03:15 PM
I have been using LC or B & S flat orange pads exclusively when using HD Speed with excellent correction and finishing results. I found through testing that this combination worked best for me.

As for letting Speed haze and dry, my resoning behind that is it has Poxy in it and this lets the Poxy dry prior to removal, which is super easy with Speed.

Salmonbum
06-14-2017, 04:01 PM
I just did a deep blue 2015 Audi with HD speed. Looked like it was washed with an SOS pad its entire life. Cost was a factor so owner just wanted AIO. I started on decklid with LC orange pad and did 2 slow passes and it took out 90% of the swirls. I used this on most of the car, but front fenders and hood were so bad I used a B&S MF cutting pad and did a wonderful job. Looked better than the orange pad. I used 4 pads, but cleaned them with air after every pass. Started with 4 pea size drops, then only 2 drops thereafter. I did same as others and let set for 20 min or so before wipe.

Paul A.
06-14-2017, 04:13 PM
I also use it like custmsprty...flat orange pads and let it sit for a while before wiping off. If you only have those 5 pads it's not a bad idea to use your orange pads for hood, roof and trunk and whites for the sides.

adamgayton81
06-14-2017, 04:32 PM
I use the Uro Fiber pads...after test spot I do the entire vehicle and then begin to wipe off, that way it has sat a while.

Initially I put 4 pea size drops on the pad and 2-3 thereafter. It should do about a 4-6 sq. Ft section at a time. I use speed setting 3-4 on a Rupes 21.

Here's two vehicles I've done using this method.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/e14e7c6166e48291a9a6a8e5f61af748.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/f5ce641ff0427f892916d20feb900525.jpg

Before:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/929485be7eca0c3d3a89aaa339b4f724.jpg
After:https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/c18105819f80c53b8ef3af67391b4e76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
06-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Listen to the guys on here (Like custmprty & Paul A) above. Always take the word of the guys that have used it in the field over a Youtube vid.

Also, I agree 100% with both of them. I work in the direct sun most of the time w/ Speed, and wiping/removing it is still easy as hell after 20-30 minutes.

That's one of my biggest things with products. If it is a pain to remove, it gets given away or tossed.

HD Speed is a breeze to work with.

mwoywod
06-14-2017, 07:43 PM
Will be using it on a 2014 Torch Red mustang. Swirls are kinda bad but not horrible. Probably got most out with Megs Compound on Orange pad week or so ago.

My question is how to use the product. The videos and instructions are pretty clear - do 3 to 5 passes on a small section until it begins to dry and then wipe off.

However, a couple of detailers on how suggested letting Speed set up for 30 minutes or so.

What do you guys think?

Plus, I only have 5 pads - two orange and three white. Was gonna use the two orange on the hood and the rear (where swirls seem to be the worst) and then use a white each on the two sides. Good game plan?

I think that is a really good plan. I've found that especially with speed it's best to do 3 passes with medium pressure and 1 final pass with light pressure. Speed is great because you can use a little bit of pressure and slow arm speed and use it as a finishing polish. Or, if you care more about using is as a cleaner wax/glaze, you can apply it quick with very light pressure. I'm not sure if it's impressive filling capability comes from the montan wax or what, but it really is an amazing product. I prefer using speed with a standard 8mm DA and a white buff and shine heavy polishing pad and lighter pressure. There are very few paints that this combo doesn't work well on

PaulMys
06-14-2017, 08:06 PM
I think that is a really good plan. I've found that especially with speed it's best to do 3 passes with medium pressure and 1 final pass with light pressure. Speed is great because you can use a little bit of pressure and slow arm speed and use it as a finishing polish. Or, if you care more about using is as a cleaner wax/glaze, you can apply it quick with very light pressure. I'm not sure if it's impressive filling capability comes from the montan wax or what, but it really is an amazing product. I prefer using speed with a standard 8mm DA and a white buff and shine heavy polishing pad and lighter pressure. There are very few paints that this combo doesn't work well on

You are right. I have learned to do 3 "pressure passes" and then 3 "skim passes" using lighter & lighter pressure each time.

Each paint is different, but this is what I've found has worked best for me.

2wookies
06-14-2017, 08:08 PM
I started with HD and a green heavy polish pad on one car then just for fun through on a flat LC MF pad, HOLY CRAP! I fully expected some residual haze from using a MF cut pad, NOPE! Perfect finish.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline