PDA

View Full Version : Embedded brake dust or something else??

vancity
06-13-2017, 11:13 PM
Hey guys,

I am desperately trying to clean my rims. I've tried several rim cleaners from the typical stores (Canadian Tire, etc), none of which made even the slightest difference. I also recently purchased Sonax online and tried several applications today. It made a bit of a difference on the lightest coated areas, but nothing much on the worst areas.

I also noticed that there is a somewhat spiderweb pattern within the dust and am wondering if this is normal or if this is some sort of coating that may have been applied.

I've attached some photos for you... Yep, it's bad...

Any recommendations? Is this just brake dust?

Thank you!
~Natalie :)

GSKR
06-14-2017, 06:14 AM
They look cooked by acidic products.

TTQ B4U
06-14-2017, 06:44 AM
I agree with GSKR. Looks like at some point they have either been cleaned with the wrong product or an attempt to re-clear them went wrong. Hard to say without seeing in person. Good news is a nice powder coat job for all four wont' be more than a few hundred bucks. Anthracite color is pretty hot looking IMO.

Mantilgh
06-14-2017, 09:25 AM
I don't know if I've ever seen that happen to a finish on a factory wheel.

It looks more like a cheap clear coat was sprayed on to up them and everything has embedded in it.

vancity
06-14-2017, 11:29 AM
I had a feeling that it might not just be as easy as brake dust. Is this something that can be repaired? I would love it if my rims could finally look nice again!

~Natalie :)

Belair
06-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah I think powder coating might be the least expensive way to go if you can find someone who knows what they're doing. The guys at Canadian Tire might give you a good referral unless they just try to push you into buying new wheels, which is unnecessary. If you can find some detailers they may also know someone good.