PDA

View Full Version : Streaking Removal (Pict attached)

spierce2112
06-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Hi,

There is vertical streaking on a few panels of my truck which I believe are from the sprinklers at my work judging by the locations. I tried the Meguiars Clay detailing kit in the pictured area and it did nothing to remove them. I would like to try distilled vinegar but read mixed reviews about its clear coat safety. My truck is new and I want to remove this with something clear coat safe.

50/50 distilled vinegar/water OK?

Or can someone please recommend a product to remove these streaks?

Also, once removed, I have a bottle of Colonite #845. Will this protect my paint from this issue happening again? If not, what are some recommendations?

Thank You!
Shawn

Dan K
06-12-2017, 05:31 PM
CarPro Spotless water spot remover.

Mike Phillips
06-13-2017, 10:47 AM
Hi,

There is vertical streaking on a few panels of my truck which I believe are from the sprinklers at my work judging by the locations.

I tried the Meguiars Clay detailing kit in the pictured area and it did nothing to remove them. I would like to try distilled vinegar but read mixed reviews about its clear coat safety. My truck is new and I want to remove this with something clear coat safe.

50/50 distilled vinegar/water OK?

Or can someone please recommend a product to remove these streaks?

Also, once removed, I have a bottle of Collinite #845. Will this protect my paint from this issue happening again? If not, what are some recommendations?

Thank You!

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Here's your picture,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/57921d1497297158-streaking-removal-pict-attached-truck-finishresizejpg

When I see this type of thing I just have to wonder....

What's in the water?

Here's what you don't want to do...

Waste time with vinegar or clay. Neither of these are going to fix the problem.

Here's what you want to do, you need to lightly polish the paint and this will remove the staining that has happened to the paint itself. These streaks are no longer something ON the paint but they have penetrated into and stained the paint and the more time that goes by the worse/deeper the staining will take place. These are kind of like imprint rings only not caused by water drops but by water running down the side of your truck. My guess is the horizontal panels are somehow affected too.

Collinite #845 is a finishing wax. Another term would be show car wax. This is to say there is NO cleaning or abrading ability with this product and that's okay but it also means it's ONLY for paint in perfect condition.

To remove the streaks you can do one of two things.

1: use a one-step cleaner/wax as the cleaners and abrasive will remove the streaks.

2: Use a dedicated polish as the abrasives in the polish will remove the streaks and then follow this with the Collinite #845

You can do this by hand but it's REALLY HARD and TIME CONSUMING.

If you want to keep the paint up on our truck you really need to do one of two things,

1: Start a relationship with a pro detailer to detail your truck and remove the streaks and to also maintain it into the future for you.

2: Learn how to do it yourself.

I already wrote about how to go about doing it yourself once today in this thread, so please click over and read what I wrote. I also touched on the topic of working by hand.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/110754-how-remove-swirls-hand.html)

In the above thread I also show the best entry level polisher to purchase and it is completely safe, no burns or swirls and easy to use and more than enough to manage your truck and any other car you own.

:)

Mike Phillips
06-13-2017, 10:52 AM
As for a cleaner/wax check this out....

Making money doing production detailing by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/pictures-comments-competition-ready-3-day-detailing-classes-mike-phillips/110604-making-money-doing-production-detailing-mike-phillips.html)

And you could apply the Collinite over this step.

spierce2112
06-14-2017, 02:10 PM
Hi Mike,

First I want to say thank you for the very informative video & response.

You asked, "What's in the water". Now that I think about it, various pipes to the sprinkler system at work were severely damaged under ground a few months ago. God only knows what circulated through the system and for how long. Not to mention I'm down here in sunny SFLA which baked it all in.

The damage only appears to be on my driver & passenger side front wheel panels, lower bumper skirt and only on the driver side back wheel panel. May sound like a lot but it's a crew cab F-150 so I estimate it's damaged about 1/3 of the truck. I was wondering if I can only apply the cleaner wax/polisher to those areas? If so, I would wash, clay (before) and apply Collinite after cleaner wax/polish to the entire truck. Or, do you recommend doing the entire truck with the cleaner wax/polisher?

You recommended 3D HD Speed for cleaner wax route which sounds good. If I choose the dedicated polish route, what would you suggest?

Thanks again!

Shawn

Mike Phillips
07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Hi Shawn,

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you... I have a lot going on all the time and it's hard to keep up.

I was wondering if I can only apply the cleaner wax/polisher to those areas? If so, I would wash, clay (before) and apply Collinite after cleaner wax/polish to the entire truck. Or, do you recommend doing the entire truck with the cleaner wax/polisher?

Yes, definitely use the cleaner/wax over the entire truck.

Won't hurt anything and it will make the paint look great and leave it protected.

If I choose the dedicated polish route, what would you suggest?

Thanks again!

Shawn

You know, any high quality medium cut polish should do the trick. The thing is you won't know until you try.

If you want to test, then get some SONAX EX 04-06

SONAX EX 04-06 1000 ml. (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-ex-04-06.html)

IF you want to make sure, this is a very safe compound.

SONAX CutMax Cutting Compound (http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-cut-max-cutting-compound.html)

That's in the SONAX brand.

If you have a brand your loyal to, let me know and I'll post a part number.

Rsurfer
07-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Mike, is there a good answer to the op's question?
"Also, once removed, I have a bottle of Colonite #845. Will this protect my paint from this issue happening again? If not, what are some recommendations?"