PDA

View Full Version : Did Reload just screw up my coating??

Pages : [1] 2

2wookies
06-12-2017, 11:43 AM
So did my first wash post coating, man that water just flew off the paint!
https://youtu.be/1YYaJ0-gdXw

After wash applied Reload, the directions are vague on the bottle, so I took the same approach as I did with CQuartz UK a little goes a long way. Sprayed direct to clean cool paint in the garage and buffed off. Now it rained today and the water was just kind of sitting on the paint, had some time on lunch so went down the highway to see if the 70mph sprint would maybe push the water off....NOPE!!!
Its hard to see but there's water droplets everywhere on the entire surface of the car
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/kaw_bucket_2007/08B9CFCA-3E21-4DB0-87B3-B7FD216C8FD7_zps20wock7v.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/kaw_bucket_2007/media/08B9CFCA-3E21-4DB0-87B3-B7FD216C8FD7_zps20wock7v.jpg.html)

And willsports had this comment on my show and shine thread. Was he right? Have I screwed up the coating? I feel he's onto something as its obvious before I applied Reload the coating was shedding water like crazy and now it's sitting. I'm not gonna lie, pretty upset right now especially since I spent 3 days getting my paint ready for the coating only to be horribly let down after applying the company recommended after wash product.

I would suggest against Reload. It doesn't protect your car as well, the water beading looks good but won't give you the same effect of the water beads sliding off your car at 30 mph and when you use it once, you basically have to keep using it because I find it ruins the beading of the actual coating and replaces it with something that looks good but doesn't work as well since Reload doesn't really shed off your Cquartz coating properly. It's great on its own but not on top of a coating. I would suggest to just leave it be, use ECH20 if you really want to give it a good shine for a maintenance wash or a detail spray to give it a nice shine but after all that work on your car, the last thing you'd wanna do is to ruin it with something like Reload.

I put Reload last year on my cquartz uk coated car, on everywhere but the roof. I was so disappointed in what happened that I polished off my hood and re-coated it. So now my roof and my hood are great, while my doors are just ok at best, since I found that one application of Reload ruined my cars water shedding behaviour.

TTQ B4U
06-12-2017, 11:54 AM
I've not had that same experience. I use a combo ECH20 and Reload as my detail spray and clean water will still sheet off pretty well. If it rains however or if you're driving in rain and road grime from your drive is on the car, I don't think you're going to see the same sheeting action as you would if the car was clean and you're hitting it with bunch of clean water.

2wookies
06-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Well I literally just took it to a car wash and hit it with the clean water pressure washer and again same results.

WillSports3
06-12-2017, 12:00 PM
I find after reload, the water shedding behavior is so so compared to the actual coating. In my case it's cquartz. The water behavior even while dirty is fantastic. After reload, I couldn't get it back. So now I use reload on rims or cars that I don't even clay and polish. Just wash and reload.

2wookies
06-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Better picture
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q277/kaw_bucket_2007/CF9B281E-B43C-41FA-B3CF-62A2292FA1D6_zpsu3z8ruei.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/kaw_bucket_2007/media/CF9B281E-B43C-41FA-B3CF-62A2292FA1D6_zpsu3z8ruei.jpg.html)

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

WillSports3
06-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Ya reload is not something I ever plan on buying again after my current stuff is done.

2wookies
06-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I'm so mad right now! Do I have any options other than reapplying the coating?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Bruno Soares
06-12-2017, 12:23 PM
Reload should wear off in a few weeks so I would not bother trying to make it go away now, just use the car and wash it weekly or so and it will be back to the state you liked soon.

Salmonbum
06-12-2017, 12:33 PM
I just did the CQ Classic on all no Xpel areas of my M2. I left the CQ as a stand alone, but put Reload on the Xpel. I drove the car last Wed for the day and parked it. It was by no means dirty, just road stuff and brake dust. Yesterday I wanted to see if my plan worked.... coat the car and when I do go on a nice day drive the coating should only need a quick spritz of DI water thru my power washer and I will never touch the paint. It did just what I thought. All I did was spray the car down and any little dirt or grime just fell right off. The hood is full Xpel with Reload and the water just rolled right off. The Rims had CQ and reload and the brake dust just blew off with little effort. After the DI rinse I blew car off and it looked amazing. 5 minutes and good as new. It seems Reload on xpel acted the same as Cquartz by itself.

The Guz
06-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Is it possible that too much product was used and it was not buffed off completely?

When in doubt check out the car pro site for application directions.

Directions:

Apply in good ambient lighting
Shake well
Spray 2 sprays directly onto a microfiber towel or the paint and spread out left and right and then up and down over a 30" Sq. area
Work it into the paint evenly until almost flashed away
Switch to a fresh Crazy Pile towel and buff the area until no residue remains

Tips:

Paint should be completely clean and free of oil, solvents, or wax before applying Reload
Do not apply in direct sun
In case of uneven areas do to improper application or applying too thick, wipe off Reload with Eraser or IPA immediately and re-apply.

Reload should wear off in a few weeks so I would not bother trying to make it go away now, just use the car and wash it weekly or so and it will be back to the state you liked soon.

I agree. I would let it fade away and continue washing with reset or something similar.

Rsurfer
06-12-2017, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=The Guz;1500398]Is it possible that too much product was used and it was not buffed off completely?

I agree, being white its easy to over apply. I always apply Reload to a mf applicator rather than directly to the paint.

If the non beading bothers you, you can lightly polish with Essence Plus and it will not remove the base coating.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Re-wash and see what happens. If the water behaves the same, just let it wear off. Then, use something like N914 as a drying aid after washing. It should not alter the water behavior.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-12-2017, 01:52 PM
I texted Corey of CarPro USA a picture of your post. He texted me back....

"Weird! No clue... certainly wouldn't remove or damage the coating. Only thing I can think is there's something else going on there. A variable unaccounted for. Next time he washes i would use RESET and all should we well again"

When you wash, use a PURE shampoo(no glossing agents, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wookies
06-12-2017, 02:05 PM
I texted Corey of CarPro USA a picture of your post. He texted me back....

"Weird! No clue... certainly wouldn't remove or damage the coating. Only thing I can think is there's something else going on there. A variable unaccounted for. Next time he washes i would use RESET and all should we well again"

When you wash, use a PURE shampoo(no glossing agents, etc.

Will definitley be using reset this week, I used meg's gold class wash as the only other soap was CG Mr Pink and I thought I'd read that gold class doesn't have any glossing agents. But I swear that's the only variable I can think of.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Will definitley be using reset this week, I used meg's gold class wash as the only other soap was CG Mr Pink and I thought I'd read that gold class doesn't have any glossing agents. But I swear that's the only variable I can think of.
Definitely could be. Keep us posted.