PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding Opti Coat

Pages : [1] 2 3

E93to
06-11-2017, 09:38 PM
I am planning to have my 2011 E93 professionally detailed for the first time. The detailer said he uses Opti Coat only, and he hasn't waxed a car in the last 5 years. Apparently it will wear off in 2 years (I am aware there are different versions)... Here are some questions I have for those who have applied Opti Coat:

1. How is the shine? From what I know, the shine is not as deep as wax or sealant. And also the shine from Opti Coat gives the feeling that the car has been covered with transparent film instead of enhancing the paint color's original gloss (wet look vs "wrapped" look). Is this correct?

2. After Opti Coat has been applied, no further detailing is necessary for the next 2 years...? Just regular washing is needed.?

3. Can I still clay, Iron X and wax the car twice a year? Will that wear off Opti Coat faster?

4. And from my understanding, wax will not bond to Opti Coat surface... Is this true? If so, how long will wax last on Opti Coat?

5. How about applying glaze on the Opti Coat every once in awhile? Will that enhance the "deep and glossy" shine?

6. How do I apply glaze..? Are claying, Iron X, etc (decontamination) necessary prior to applying glaze?

7. Is it true that Opti Coat is more effective on new cars with fresh paint?

8. My car is driven less than 3000 km per year. Will this extend Opti Coat's life?

9. The detailer also said he will apply Opti Coat on rims. Will this repel brake dust? Or should I apply Armor All Rim Protectant after each wash as I normally do?

* further information: my car is solid white. I live in Toronto, but I try my best not to drive in snow or during winter season. My car hasn't seen snow or salt slush past 2 years.

Thanks in advance

WillSports3
06-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Hey man I'm from Toronto as well, nice to see another Torontonian on here.

1. The shine is great. It won't the same wet look as wax, it'll give it a high reflective glassy look.

2. Recommended maintenance foe opticoat is ONR to wash. As with all coatings, once a year chemical decontamination is useful. Iron x or ferrex. Ask your detailer about maintenance after. Nothing is ever maintenance free.

3. Don't clay unless you need to with opticoat. Only brake fast will be embedded on because of how much might be generated by your car. Iron x is fine. No point in waxing.

4. Wax will not bond fully with opticoat. Basically if it's supposed to last a month, you'll get about a week out of it. Again, no need to. If you have to, I suggest ordering pbl synergy. With proper prep of the coating, synergy will bond a bit longer.

5. A glaze will do nothing to a coating. It might even harm it depending on what kind of glaze.

6. You don't glaze opticoat.

7. Opticoat prep involves a polishing step, then a polish with primer that'll remover small defects and prep the surface for coating. It makes no difference if the person does the job properly. New car is just easier for the detailer since Noone at the dealership will have gotten their grubby nubs on your paint and messed it up for you.

8. If your car is a weekend baby and garaged AND maintained properly, yes it will extend the life.

9. If you're going to spend around 1200 dollars CAD on am opticoat job, do yourself a favour and throw out any amourall anything you have. With opticoated rims, maintenance is still required. You still have to wash it and what not, use iron x if needed.

Hope that answers your questions. Seriously get rid of your canadian tire crap. Not trying to be offensive but canadian tire doesn't sell anything you want to use on your car except the decent mf towels and some of the mothers/meguiars stuff. Go to eshine, or autoobsessed. Canadian online retailers of autogeek products and the stuff you should invest some money into if you want the 1200 you're going to be spending to be worth it. Since you're in tdot I can pm you my cell number if you have any questions in the future. With a white car, you'll be very happy with opticoat. It'll make your car look crystal like.

E93to
06-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Hey man I'm from Toronto as well, nice to see another Torontonian on here.

1. The shine is great. It won't the same wet look as wax, it'll give it a high reflective glassy look.

2. Recommended maintenance foe opticoat is ONR to wash. As with all coatings, once a year chemical decontamination is useful. Iron x or ferrex. Ask your detailer about maintenance after. Nothing is ever maintenance free.

3. Don't clay unless you need to with opticoat. Only brake fast will be embedded on because of how much might be generated by your car. Iron x is fine. No point in waxing.

4. Wax will not bond fully with opticoat. Basically if it's supposed to last a month, you'll get about a week out of it. Again, no need to. If you have to, I suggest ordering pbl synergy. With proper prep of the coating, synergy will bond a bit longer.

5. A glaze will do nothing to a coating. It might even harm it depending on what kind of glaze.

6. You don't glaze opticoat.

7. Opticoat prep involves a polishing step, then a polish with primer that'll remover small defects and prep the surface for coating. It makes no difference if the person does the job properly. New car is just easier for the detailer since Noone at the dealership will have gotten their grubby nubs on your paint and messed it up for you.

8. If your car is a weekend baby and garaged AND maintained properly, yes it will extend the life.

9. If you're going to spend around 1200 dollars CAD on am opticoat job, do yourself a favour and throw out any amourall anything you have. With opticoated rims, maintenance is still required. You still have to wash it and what not, use iron x if needed.

Hope that answers your questions. Seriously get rid of your canadian tire crap. Not trying to be offensive but canadian tire doesn't sell anything you want to use on your car except the decent mf towels and some of the mothers/meguiars stuff. Go to eshine, or autoobsessed. Canadian online retailers of autogeek products and the stuff you should invest some money into if you want the 1200 you're going to be spending to be worth it. Since you're in tdot I can pm you my cell number if you have any questions in the future. With a white car, you'll be very happy with opticoat. It'll make your car look crystal like.

Thank you so much for detailed reply. It's really helpful. I really appreciate that you took some time to write all that to educate me :)

I normally use Klasse Sealant and Collinite 845 for my detailing routine. Was thinking of using Ammo products this year, but decided to have my car professionally detailed instead.

I was worried Opti Coat would make the white paint look "flat"... It is very hard to achieve shine on white cars...

I've found Armor All Rim Protectant to work pretty well. It really does repel brake dust, and it's cheap! It seems to last a week of heavy city driving (40 km per day). I was wondering whether Opti Coat would provide similar, or even better, effect.

Again, thanks so much for your reply. I'll post back if I have more questions

Typerx
06-12-2017, 12:53 AM
OptiCoat will definitely keep your white car glossy and bright - no worries on that end. I would definitely also coat the wheels rather than using the AA spray. Not only is coating more effective across the barrels and spokes, it doesn't leave a white haze and create overspray (that you breathe in!) like the AA product.

As for topping the coat, no need to use. Use Optimum car wash or ONR/ONRWW to stay in the family, bit any good mild auto car soap will do just fine.

I do like to hit my coated cars with Optimum Instant Detailer or Optimum Car Wax every now. I also like to play around with toppers (out of boredom), so don't feel like you are limited at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Guz
06-12-2017, 01:42 AM
I am planning to have my 2011 E93 professionally detailed for the first time. The detailer said he uses Opti Coat only, and he hasn't waxed a car in the last 5 years. Apparently it will wear off in 2 years (I am aware there are different versions)... Here are some questions I have for those who have applied Opti Coat:

1. How is the shine? From what I know, the shine is not as deep as wax or sealant. And also the shine from Opti Coat gives the feeling that the car has been covered with transparent film instead of enhancing the paint color's original gloss (wet look vs "wrapped" look). Is this correct?

As stated it will give a glassy appearance to the paint. But the majority of the look comes from the polishing steps.

Optimum states pro lasts up to 5 years and 7 years with pro+. Gloss Coat is up to 2 years.

2. After Opti Coat has been applied, no further detailing is necessary for the next 2 years...? Just regular washing is needed.?

True to a point. It does need to be washed and it is recommended to do a decon wash 1-2 times a year.

If you choose to maintain it yourself, then ONR (either version), a car shampoo like optimum car wash (for those times when the paint is too dirty), and either instant detailer or opti-seal are good products to use. Optimum Car Wax also works but with yours being white opti-seal would be a better choice as it will give it that glossy appearance.

I would actually consider using something as a topper. Optimum states it is not needed but I have to disagree even if it only lasts a 2-3 weeks. This is based on one vehicle where gloss coat has failed. The others I maintain, I use a topper and it seems to perform much better. I believe this is the reason Optimum is introducing Hyper Seal shortly as it is aimed towards coating maintenance.

3. Can I still clay, Iron X and wax the car twice a year? Will that wear off Opti Coat faster?

Yes you can use and iron remover to decontaminate the paint. You can wax if you like. You can still clay. Optimum refers this as to the wash, clay, wax method. Search the rag company youtube channel on that.

4. And from my understanding, wax will not bond to Opti Coat surface... Is this true? If so, how long will wax last on Opti Coat?

This is true. Optimum reps have stated that the coated surface will shed the wax within a 2 week time frame.

5. How about applying glaze on the Opti Coat every once in awhile? Will that enhance the "deep and glossy" shine?

No need to use a glaze. If you have to you can use something like opti-seal to add some gloss.

6. How do I apply glaze..? Are claying, Iron X, etc (decontamination) necessary prior to applying glaze?

Again no need to apply a glaze.

7. Is it true that Opti Coat is more effective on new cars with fresh paint?

It can work on a majority of paints. Older cars may require more prep work to get the paint corrected prior to applying a coating. Same can be said about a new car as there is always the DISO option. Search to find what that is.

8. My car is driven less than 3000 km per year. Will this extend Opti Coat's life?

The life of a coating will last longer on a car that is garaged versus being outside. Mileage is not a good indication of the coatings life span.

9. The detailer also said he will apply Opti Coat on rims. Will this repel brake dust? Or should I apply Armor All Rim Protectant after each wash as I normally do?

* further information: my car is solid white. I live in Toronto, but I try my best not to drive in snow or during winter season. My car hasn't seen snow or salt slush past 2 years.

Thanks in advance

It will help in making it easier to clean your wheels. It won't repel brake dust. It will also protect the wheels from break dust.

The color of the paint does not matter.

E93to
06-12-2017, 02:06 AM
OptiCoat will definitely keep your white car glossy and bright - no worries on that end. I would definitely also coat the wheels rather than using the AA spray. Not only is coating more effective across the barrels and spokes, it doesn't leave a white haze and create overspray (that you breathe in!) like the AA product.

As for topping the coat, no need to use. Use Optimum car wash or ONR/ONRWW to stay in the family, bit any good mild auto car soap will do just fine.

I do like to hit my coated cars with Optimum Instant Detailer or Optimum Car Wax every now. I also like to play around with toppers (out of boredom), so don't feel like you are limited at all!

Thanks for your input. Will consider Optimum products if I opt for Opti Coat

Eldorado2k
06-12-2017, 02:14 AM
it doesn't leave a white haze and create overspray (that you breathe in!) like the AA product.

Because it's so deadly... Lol
White haze? It doesn't leave a white haze.

E93to
06-12-2017, 02:30 AM
True to a point. It does need to be washed and it is recommended to do a decon wash 1-2 times a year.

If you choose to maintain it yourself, then ONR (either version), a car shampoo like optimum car wash (for those times when the paint is too dirty), and either instant detailer or opti-seal are good products to use. Optimum Car Wax also works but with yours being white opti-seal would be a better choice as it will give it that glossy appearance.

I would actually consider using something as a topper. Optimum states it is not needed but I have to disagree even if it only lasts a 2-3 weeks. This is based on one vehicle where gloss coat has failed. The others I maintain, I use a topper and it seems to perform much better. I believe this is the reason Optimum is introducing Hyper Seal shortly as it is aimed towards coating maintenance.

r.

So, would spraying Iron X once or twice a year be enough for "decon wash"? Or should I follow up with clay bar?

Do you recommend spraying Opti Seal or Hyper Seal after each car wash (once per week)? Since wax or sealant will not bond to Opti Coat, I would have to spray Opti Seal or Hyper Seal once in every one or two weeks. Correct?

E93to
06-12-2017, 02:40 AM
The life of a coating will last longer on a car that is garaged versus being outside. Mileage is not a good indication of the coatings life span.

My car is kept in garage all the time. The car was probably driven less than 50 times last year.... (Once or twice per week between May and October. Once every 10 days during winter season to keep the battery alive). As I said in my original post, the car never saw snow and salt slush since 2015. And I try not to drive if it rains.

How much would this kind of driving routine extend the life of 2-year Opti Coat?

The Guz
06-12-2017, 02:41 AM
The optimum synergy podcast episode dated 2/21/2017 goes into good detail on how to do a chemical decon wash. It's around the 20 min mark. Again you can do either a chemical or mechanical decon. Just be sure to do the mechanical decon the way optimum recommends it.

Optimum Synergy Podcast: The Man Behind the Lab Coat, CEO and Chemist, Dr David Ghodoussi (http://optimumsynergypodcast.libsyn.com/the-man-behind-the-lab-coat-ceo-and-chemist-dr-david-ghodoussi)

There are quite a number of people who use opti-seal as a drying aid after an ONR wash or a 2 bucket wash. You can use it as often as you like. Hyper Seal is not out yet so I can't say how that would work.

No need to over think it. Enjoy the coated paint. Just remember it is not a set and forget it kind of thing. It still needs some sort of maintenance.

My car is kept in garage all the time. The car was probably driven less than 50 times last year.... (Once or twice per week between May and October. Once every 10 days during winter season to keep the battery alive). As I said in my original post, the car never saw snow and salt slush since 2015. And I try not to drive if it rains.

How much would this kind of driving routine extend the life of 2-year Opti Coat?

The coating will last longer on a garaged vehicle. It won't get as contaminated as a vehicle that sits outside 24/7. See my post on what optimum recommends for their various coatings.

E93to
06-12-2017, 02:45 AM

Tbh, I think AA Rim Protectant adds certain amount of shine to the rims...

Eldorado2k
06-12-2017, 02:47 AM
Tbh, I think AA Rim Protectant adds certain amount of shine to the rims...

I think it works pretty good as well. I don't use it all the time, but when I do I get up to 5 weeks of spotless wheels. Works great on exhaust tips too.

E93to
06-12-2017, 02:52 AM
The optimum synergy podcast episode dated 2/21/2017 goes into good detail on how to do a chemical decon wash. It's around the 20 min mark. Again you can do either a chemical or mechanical decon. Just be sure to do the mechanical decon the way optimum recommends it.

Optimum Synergy Podcast: The Man Behind the Lab Coat, CEO and Chemist, Dr David Ghodoussi (http://optimumsynergypodcast.libsyn.com/the-man-behind-the-lab-coat-ceo-and-chemist-dr-david-ghodoussi)

There are quite a number of people who use opti-seal as a drying aid after an ONR wash or a 2 bucket wash. You can use it as often as you like. Hyper Seal is not out yet so I can't say how that would work.

No need to over think it. Enjoy the coated paint. Just remember it is not a set and forget it kind of thing. It still needs some sort of maintenance.

The coating will last longer on a garaged vehicle. It won't get as contaminated as a vehicle that sits outside 24/7. See my post on what optimum recommends for their various coatings.

Thanks for your detailed input. I am still overwhelmed by the new world of coating. There are many things I thought were true are actually false (no need to maintain, inferior shine, etc). Looks like I will have to do more research

RPM_BR
06-12-2017, 06:07 AM
I believe Opti-Seal can be used every three to four months to maintain the Opti-Coat.

Typerx
06-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Well, I know it isn't as healthy for my lungs as air. But, you are right, I dont mean to exaggerate this point.

I have 8 cans of AA wheel protectant in my garage now - I had to stop using it as I experienced a whitish haze on black rims. It isn't as apparent on silver but it definitely alters the look slightly.

In the end, I just don't believe it is worth using on coated wheels.