PDA

View Full Version : Recent experiences with B&S and LC new microfiber pads

mwoywod
06-11-2017, 04:41 PM
I've been relatively blunt about my past experiences with the Lake Country ultra-fiber MF pads. They matted down and became completely ineffective and I can confidently say they were the worst PERFORMING MF pads I've ever used. Even though I had such a terrible experience with the ultra-fiber pads, I gave LC one more chance and purchased some Optimum 3.5 inch microfiber pads (also made by lake country). Even though the fibers on these pads didn't mat down like the older ultra-fiber, unfortunately they ended up being by far the least DURABLE pad I've ever used and were basically only ever good for a single use before the microfiber would actually separate from the foam interface.

After such terrible experiences, I immediately dismissed the new LC Microfiber pads when they were released. I just ordered the new HDO microfiber cutting pad to try next, but over the past two weeks I've used the new LC microfiber cutting pads and I can confidently say that they're not only 10x better than any MF pad Lake Country has made in the past, but I actually think they are BETTER than the industry standard "Meguiar's MF cutting pads"

PROS
-They cut like a mother
-The fibers do mat down like all shorter pile MF pads, but the pad still performs (similar to Megs) unlike the older ultra-fiber pads
-They clean up BETTER than Megs MF pads and can take a TON of abuse. (I've used them and wash them 3 times in the past two weeks and they still look brand new)
-Compared to Megs MF cutting pads, the actually buffing process is MUCH smoother due to the slightly softer blue foam interface
-The softer and SLIGHTLY thicker foam interface provides much less machine vibration and better pad rotation on convex surfaces
-Finish is great

CONS
-no cooling chamber (not ideal for use with long-stroke machines)

Overall
If you are working on smaller vehicle with lots of trim and less surface area where a larger-throw machine isn't optimal and you need the most cutting power possible. Also if you are a fan of Megs MF cutting discs and would be willing to spend a little bit extra for a similar MF pad that lasts longer, is smoother, and cuts/finishes the same (if not better) these pads are a great option.

Buff & Shine Uro-fiber pad
I wasn't overly impressed with these pads at first, but I just used them yesterday to 1-step a black Ram 2500 on my Boss 15 paired with Scholl Concepts S20 Black. The paint was medium-hard and I tried using the Maroon B&S uro-tec heavy polishing pad with S20 Black first and it was only removing 30% of scratches and rather than using either S3 Gold or Fast Correcting Cream I decided to give the uro-fiber pad another shot and I swear it removed 80% of the scratches and left the paint as close to LSP ready as possible for a 1-step correction.

That said, the Boss MF pads are still the top dog for microfiber cutting pads on long-throw machines. But I plan on continuing to use the uro-fiber for 1-steps on medium/hard paints and new LC Microfiber with my standard gg6 for smaller vehicles and cars with lots of convex surfaces where a larger throw isn't ideal.

I'm hoping the HDO MF pads will compete with the BOSS microfiber and will let you guys know in a couple of weeks after spending some time with them!!
Would love to hear your thoughts!!
<3 Matt

idriveblackcars
06-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Nice review! I didn't even see these pads..been using their 3.5" LC microfiber pads with awesome results. And Meguiars for the bigger ones.

Will have to check these HDO ones out..looks like they only make 2 sizes though.

atgonzales
06-11-2017, 06:24 PM
LC MF pads are the bomb

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline