PDA

View Full Version : Sister Damaged Dad's Car

Matt92
06-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Anyone have any advice? I think this is too large for Dr. colorchip. It appears as though it's down to the bare metal. Is it worth trying to fix myself or should we send it to an auto shop?

Matt92
06-10-2017, 03:45 PM
My mom took the pictures and sent them to me, so it's hard to tell, but I appreciate any advice! I'm not accustomed to fixing repairs of this size when it comes to paint, thanks!

PaulMys
06-10-2017, 06:04 PM
I think you're looking at a re-paint there, bud.

Body shop for sure.

VR8
06-11-2017, 09:11 AM
If your (or Dad's) options include getting it professionally done, you may as well tinker with it yourself to see what you can accomplish, and learn. It won't be perfect but Dad may not care? Without seeing it in person, I might suggest wet sanding around the edges of the big damaged spots, fill in with some touch-up paint, sand again lightly, touch-up again, then polish. Of course you must realize there are several different steps to vary in this process.

kevincwelch
06-11-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm inclined to say that you should test the waters. The damage is done. It needs repair and a repaint to look good. However, if you're inclined to do some wet sanding and try your hand at getting some touch up paint and clear coat, you may give it a go and you might be surprised and it's possible that your dad may not care if it looks almost normal v. normal. I've been a fan of this site (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp), which sells various formulations of touch up paint.

fly07sti
06-11-2017, 10:35 AM
I totally agree with VR8 and Kevin. No better time to practice than now.

Matt92
06-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys, I think you're right. And I was inclined to do the same. It's already messed up so it's worth a shot trying to fix it
I'll post results once the touch-up paint comes in. Thanks!