PDA

View Full Version : Interior soft touch dashboard scratches HELP

bobby35ny
06-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Car is a 2014 Sonata, The dashboard is that soft touch material.
Wondering how to get out those scratches?
Thanks
-Bobby

AZpolisher15
06-09-2017, 11:00 PM
I'd maybe try a "cover-up" approach. Correcting scratches usually involves leveling the surrounding surface to the level of the defect. I wouldn't want to attempt that on my (or your) textured dash. Maybe a greasy-ish type of interior protectant like Aerospace 303 would help mask the scratches to a degree?

Hey, crew-- might WETS or another exterior trim sealant help mute the appearance of these marks?

This is one of those occurrences where I tend to go rogue and get creative. As a last ditch effort, I've seen guys remove scratches on interior plastics with a heat gun (but never smack dab in the middle of the dash!). As you can imagine, the margin of error is very slim. But I've seen scratches completely disappear with no ill effects. You very cautiously heat the surface making passes with the hot air. Do NOT keep the hot air on the same spot for long. You might try a hair dryer to start and get a feel for the task at hand.

If this isn't your own car, I'd advise a less "rogue" approach ;)

bobby35ny
06-11-2017, 02:51 PM
It's my son's car. Thinking cover-up. I knew about the heat gun. Wasn't sure if the heat gun would work on soft touch. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bobby35ny
06-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Lurked here for years, My 2 cents for a fix, see pic attached.
Here is what I did. I took a 220 worn out sanding sponge and wet sanded the dash a couple times and coated with 303!!
I think it looks GREAT