PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Camaro hard paint and heavy swirling. Is 90% good enough?

Pages : [1] 2

KirkH
06-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I am working on a 2016 Camaro nightfall grey metallic with heavy swirling on the trunk. Looks like someone detailed it with steel wool.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4287/34761625730_562e142b9b_z.jpg
This may or may not be my own personal ride :dunno:I have no idea how the trunk got so swirled up. The rest of the car does not show this type of marring. This car has never been polished. It is possible that it was like that when I bought it. It may have also gotten washed when it was in for service once at the dealer. I now have a tag saying DO NOT WASH to hang from the mirror. This is it's first clay bar and polish treatment. It is not a show car, but not really a daily driver either.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4208/34339242484_69a0902cd9_z.jpg

The roof is done and looks great. Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and an orange pad, followed by Optimum Polish II and a white pad. I will post all of this in show n shine later. However, this is the problem:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4252/35183816235_8302d57dfd_b.jpg

I am having trouble getting 100% correction. Test spotting with long, slow passes, I started with the Cyclo 5Pro and Pinnacle advanced swirl remover and orange pad

Went to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and orange pad

Then Optimum Compound II and orange pad

Then Wolfgang Uber compound and orange pad

Then Pinnacle advanced swirl remover and yellow pad.

I finish polished with Optimum POlish II and a white pad.

STILL some swirls!!! Man this paint seems hard too.

It is much better than it was, obviously, but there are still some stubborn swirls. Here's area on trunk NOT in test spot:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4272/35057167901_d7108480ec_b.jpg

Here's the test spot:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4220/35057172171_b721ef340b_b.jpg[/url]

Breaking out the rotary, I guess. :pc7424:Or should just I go with it at 90% defect correction and stop before I go mad or polish off all the clear? I have tons of products, tools and pads if anyone wants to make suggestions.

VISITOR
06-08-2017, 09:30 PM
did you try using another polisher besides the cyclo? have you tried doing another pass or two? look pretty good btw...

kkritsilas
06-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Only you can decide if you are happy with the results.

I think that the paint is super hard, and that your compounds are not up to the task. The Cyclos are not the most powerful machines out there, especially with regards to heavy defect removal, although for everything else they are as good as anything out there. You could try something like Menzerna FG400, or Griot's fast Correcting Creme. You could also just keep doing section passes until you are happy. Just pick from whatever compound you have on hand and the most aggressive pad that you have and keep doing section passes until the defects are down to your point of satisfaction.

Rotary will take that off pretty quick, but you must know how to use it, and be very careful if you are concerned about burning through the clear coat.

custmsprty
06-08-2017, 09:35 PM
He used WG Uber, that is a "Heavy Cut" compound.

Wolfgang Uber Compound is a heavy-cut compound that is designed to restore the gloss and color to all paint systems without creating unsightly swirls or compounding haze. Formulated using an advanced blend of micro and diminishing abrasives, Wolfgang Uber Compound effortlessly removes heavy swirl marks, oxidation, water spots, and etchings from bird droppings without dulling the finish or creating new swirl marks. You control the aggressiveness of the compound by your pad selection.

Maybe try stepping up to a yellow pad with Uber.

WillSports3
06-08-2017, 10:00 PM
My suggestion would be a mf pad for cutting. As for the remaining small swirls, I always suggest orange pad and carpro essence. There's no point in cutting over and over again, might as well use a silica filler and give it a good lsp. Since its your fun car, it'll be fine until you do your next polishing step.

KirkH
06-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Good ideas, thanks. I definitely have yellow pads and microfiber pads. I totally did not think to use MF pads, good call.

KirkH
06-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Only you can decide if you are happy with the results.

I think that the paint is super hard, and that your compounds are not up to the task. The Cyclos are not the most powerful machines out there, especially with regards to heavy defect removal, although for everything else they are as good as anything out there. You could try something like Menzerna FG400, or Griot's fast Correcting Creme. You could also just keep doing section passes until you are happy. Just pick from whatever compound you have on hand and the most aggressive pad that you have and keep doing section passes until the defects are down to your point of satisfaction.

Rotary will take that off pretty quick, but you must know how to use it, and be very careful if you are concerned about burning through the clear coat.

I really like the Cyclo over a PC because there's no vibration and the weight of the machine does the work for you. I have a Flex 14-2 rotary. I only use it on really bad paint, pretty much. I want to get a Flex 3401.

VISITOR
06-08-2017, 10:11 PM
HFDA, GG FCC, and Orange (light cutting) Force Hybrid Pad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m23BRaOCjR0

KirkH
06-08-2017, 10:46 PM
HFDA, GG FCC, and Orange (light cutting) Force Hybrid Pad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m23BRaOCjR0

Haha Scott is definitely not from Dallas originally is he?

kkritsilas
06-09-2017, 01:42 AM
For anything besides what you are trying to do on the trunk lid of your Camaro, the Cyclo is fine. For your goals, that is, complete correction on what sounds like super hard paint, it may lack power. As soon as you get the trunk lid corrected, your Cyclo will be fine. Not looking to diss the Cyclo, but the motor on s Cyclo is relatively weak, so the correcting power for your type of job is suspect.

Like I said before, if you are comfortable using the rotary, it will get the job done, and quick as well. From that point onward, you can use your Cyclo without any issues, after all, all you will be doing is polishing and applying wax/sealant/LSP of choice.

2wookies
06-09-2017, 06:09 AM
He used WG Uber, that is a "Heavy Cut" compound.

Wolfgang Uber Compound is a heavy-cut compound that is designed to restore the gloss and color to all paint systems without creating unsightly swirls or compounding haze. Formulated using an advanced blend of micro and diminishing abrasives, Wolfgang Uber Compound effortlessly removes heavy swirl marks, oxidation, water spots, and etchings from bird droppings without dulling the finish or creating new swirl marks. You control the aggressiveness of the compound by your pad selection.

Maybe try stepping up to a yellow pad with Uber.

I was less than impressed with the WG HC, it didn't cut Menzerna or even 105. Tried it only once.

Mike Phillips
06-09-2017, 06:13 AM
I was less than impressed with the WG HC, it didn't cut Menzerna or even 105. Tried it only once.

I'd say give it another try as it's a great compound and there's nothing I wouldn't try to tackle using the abrasive technology in Wolfgang Uber Compounds. It's versatile in that you can use it with,

Rotary buffer with wool or foam pads
ANY orbital polisher
By hand

If fact I would choose it over M105 any day.

:)

TTQ B4U
06-09-2017, 06:30 AM
I'd say give it another try as it's a great compound and there's nothing I wouldn't try to tackle using the abrasive technology in Wolfgang Uber Compounds. It's versatile in that you can use it with,

If fact I would choose it over M105 any day.:)

dang you for making me have to try another product! :) M105 has been my go-to for high cut needs.

KirkH
06-09-2017, 08:25 AM
For anything besides what you are trying to do on the trunk lid of your Camaro, the Cyclo is fine. For your goals, that is, complete correction on what sounds like super hard paint, it may lack power. As soon as you get the trunk lid corrected, your Cyclo will be fine. Not looking to diss the Cyclo, but the motor on s Cyclo is relatively weak, so the correcting power for your type of job is suspect.

Like I said before, if you are comfortable using the rotary, it will get the job done, and quick as well. From that point onward, you can use your Cyclo without any issues, after all, all you will be doing is polishing and applying wax/sealant/LSP of choice.

Great post, thank you.

Setec Astronomy
06-09-2017, 08:31 AM
I am working on a 2016 Camaro nightfall grey metallic with heavy swirling on the trunk. Looks like someone detailed it with steel wool.
This may or may not be my own personal ride :dunno:I have no idea how the trunk got so swirled up. The rest of the car does not show this type of marring. This car has never been polished. It is possible that it was like that when I bought it. It may have also gotten washed when it was in for service once at the dealer.

If this was not your car I would guess that someone did like I have seen people do...put something down on the trunk while they go in their pocket for keys...I have seen people put cases of bottled water down (on a black car) and then slide them off...