PDA

View Full Version : Crack in the paint - Options?

georgez
06-08-2017, 01:50 PM
I just purchased a polar white 1995 Acura integra sedan. I was lucky enough to buy it off an old lady who never modified it. There are a few blemishes in the paint and I'm looking for suggestions on how to address them.

From what I understand, the polar white color is a single stage white paint.

Crack in the paint in quarter panel:

Rear bumper cracking:

I purchased some Dr colorchip as well. Will this work?

MrEvan94
06-08-2017, 01:52 PM
I just purchased a polar white 1995 Acura integra sedan. I was lucky enough to buy it off an old lady who never modified it. There are a few blemishes in the paint and I'm looking for suggestions on how to address them.

From what I understand, the polar white color is a single stage white paint.

Crack in the paint in quarter panel:

Rear bumper cracking:

I purchased some Dr colorchip as well. Will this work?

Best thing you can do without a respray is fill it in with touch up and sand it level and polish it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retread
06-08-2017, 02:39 PM
I have used Dr. Color Chip on several cars in different colors, I find it works Very well.

LSNAutoDetailing
06-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Dr. Colorchip will work, however, on a corner edge you may be better off with the suggestion to use actual touch-up paint from the dealer. If you do use Dr Colorchip on the edge, you're best bet is to use the paint brush and brush it on. You may or may not use the seal-act solution. Edges can be tricky.

I can state with certainty that the bumper cover blems will have be done with touchup paint. Dr. Colorchip sometimes (key word there... "sometimes") has a hard time adhering to the plastic. Of course the "sometimes" depends on heat/humidity/direct sunlight etc...

I tried to do a dr colorchip touch-up on a bumper cover last week when the temps were 107... You'd think I'd have a quick cure time.... it took forever.... The heat seemed to thin the paint. Had to go with regular factory touch-up.

georgez
06-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. My main concern about the corner quarter panel crack is if the paint has somehow lifted away from the metal. You can feel a slight bump if you run your finger over the crack. In that scenario, I feel I should remove any paint that isn't bonded to the metal and then apply paint.

For the rear bumper, the cracking could be flaked off the plastic if I used a plastic razor. I'm afraid if I used touch up paint it would just continue flaking there as well. With the plastic bumper, should I get sandpaper and work on that until there are no more visible cracks? Going down this route seems to align with just a respray.

I'm more worried about the crack in the quarter panel because i don't want any rust to spread. The bumper is plastic so it's lower priority.

Dr. Colorchip will work, however, on a corner edge you may be better off with the suggestion to use actual touch-up paint from the dealer. If you do use Dr Colorchip on the edge, you're best bet is to use the paint brush and brush it on. You may or may not use the seal-act solution. Edges can be tricky.

I can state with certainty that the bumper cover blems will have be done with touchup paint. Dr. Colorchip sometimes (key word there... "sometimes") has a hard time adhering to the plastic. Of course the "sometimes" depends on heat/humidity/direct sunlight etc...

I tried to do a dr colorchip touch-up on a bumper cover last week when the temps were 107... You'd think I'd have a quick cure time.... it took forever.... The heat seemed to thin the paint. Had to go with regular factory touch-up.