PDA

View Full Version : Beginning scratches from rinse less wash...

Pages : [1] 2 3

TMQ
06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Done about 5 or 6 rinse less and this am saw the beginning stages
of straight line scratches same directions as sponge used. Hard to spot but in
just the right angle in sunlight---major scratches in straight line!!!

I am kind of bummed about that. I thought it would it do better than that.

Car wasn't even that dirty.

Guess the sponge deal isn't all that great. Either do the microfiber towels approach or the 2 bucket method.

Is anyone else having the same issues with rinse less as me?

Tom

kevincwelch
06-08-2017, 10:26 AM
I have never seen any scratches on my vehicles from doing rinseless washes - and this includes doing them in the winter with salt and dirt grime on the vehicle.

I'll tell you my method, and it works well for me.

1. In the winter only, I go to the coin op and pressure wash the bulky stuff off. I do this in the warm weather only when the car is absolutely filthy (rare).
2. I spray the entire car with the waterless or QD dilution of some waterless or rinseless wash (BFWW, UWW+, N914 or WGURW). Whatever I have ready and in reach.
3. I use WGURW or N914 as my rinseless wash.
4. Using multiple 1100GSM towels, I soak them all and fold them into quarters.
5. I use the towels on the car while they are mildly soaked - I wring them out a bit, but they still drip.
6. Top to bottom. Horizontal surfaces first.
7. One quarter of a towel gets a single wipe - no more. Next wipe gets a fresh quarter towel.
8. Dry with waffle weave towels while using a drying aid like Kenotek or ECH2O.

Towels get soaked in water and then washed.

Some use a single sponge, and I think that's fine. It's just not my preference. You can use a single sponge or mitt, but you have to make sure it is thoroughly cleaned using a grit guard or something like that.

I have abandoned the notion that rinseless washes are somehow conservative and by necessity eco-friendly. They can be. But, in my mind, a rinseless wash is simply a wash that doesn't need to be rinsed off. But that doesn't mean I don't use a lot of solution and frequently rotate towels.

(Sent via my mobile device...)

Valky
06-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Gary Dean method or Mike Phillips method, no reusing of the media during wash is the safest way.

JustJesus
06-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I've been doing GDWM for a couple of years with no issues.

Recently tried the Big Red Sponge method with Grit Guard. Yes, it was getting the car clean...but.... When I went to dry the car per my usual waffle weave method, I noticed DIRT on my drying towels! Luckily, this was being tested on my R&D daily driver.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
06-08-2017, 10:43 AM
What kind of sponge are you using?

Bruno Soares
06-08-2017, 10:46 AM
I just got all the stuff I needed to try rinse less washing and now you guys are scaring me. I did get the big red sponge after seeing many positive reviews.

cleanmycorolla
06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
i'd never use a sponge for a rinseless. I use about, shoot, 20 microfibers for a rinselesss with a good presoak, i never let a dirty towel touch the paint. New towel for every piece of the car, never any issues. Chuck the sponge and get tons of microfiber you'll have zero issues!

kevincwelch
06-08-2017, 10:49 AM
i'd never use a sponge for a rinseless. I use about, shoot, 20 microfibers for a rinselesss with a good presoak, i never let a dirty towel touch the paint. New towel for every piece of the car, never any issues. Chuck the sponge and get tons of microfiber you'll have zero issues!
Agree!

(Sent via my mobile device...)

SeanChav
06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
I use either a chenille or one of the "official" rinseless wash mitts and get great results....it releases whatever it picks up very easily and also gets into crevices well....I be sure and agitate it good against the grit guard and then even with my other hand before getting started on the next section....I also use a pre spray ANY time I rinseless wash no mater how dirty/dusty the car is.

TMQ
06-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Using ONR with the blue sponge I got from autogeek.

Tom

oneheadlite
06-08-2017, 11:46 AM
I just got all the stuff I needed to try rinse less washing and now you guys are scaring me. I did get the big red sponge after seeing many positive reviews.

I've had fine luck with the Big red sponge and ONR. Like any rinseless approach, I'm sure to not apply too much pressure either with the sponge or any follow up towels. I presoak as mentioned, use a grit guard in a single bucket, BRS, then wipe with a dampened MF to make sure I don't miss anything. Apply drying aid, dry with PFM towel, done. Somehow I haven't noticed dirt on my towels after like others have?

oneheadlite
06-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Using ONR with the blue sponge I got from autogeek.

Tom

How much pressure are you applying? I've found with the big red sponge I'm essentially holding the sponge away from the panel to let the siping of the sponge do it's job. Obviously still making full contact with the paint, but definitely less pressure than I would use doing a normal wash with a mitt. (Though maybe I'm doing those wrong!)

Eldorado2k
06-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Honestly, on some paints the only real sure shot way to prevent the minor swirls you're describing is to rinse the vehicle with the hose prior to beginning a rinseless wash. I know that sort of defeats the purpose but just think about what you're attempting to do... You're basically trying to wash your dirty car [I don't care if you said it's not too dirty. It is or you wouldn't be cleaning it] without rinsing it.

Would you ever skip the pre rinse during a bucket wash? No. Is rinseless wash solution really without a doubt noticeably safer than normL car wash soap? I dunno... What I do know is there's times when it feels unsafe. And there's paint that winds up with minor swirls, just like you describe.

idriveblackcars
06-08-2017, 11:52 AM
I use about 15 towels and the big red sponge.

But I only use the sponge for the lower portions of the car. And I make sure it's clean before it touches another panel. Everything else is microfibers (eagle edgeless) and the GDWM.

Eldorado2k
06-08-2017, 11:54 AM
I use about 15 towels and the big red sponge.

But I only use the sponge for the lower portions of the car. And I make sure it's clean before it touches another panel. Everything else is microfibers (eagle edgeless) and the GDWM.

That sounds like a great use for the sponge, and the only way I'd use it.