PDA

View Full Version : Another re-try

Richs66
06-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, after my last try at detailing, which was a failure according to many on this board. LOL, yes it was my falut.

Ok, heres what I did today, just wanted to make sure I got all the steps right,

Did the decklid on the car, used the UC with a orange pad, then used the UP with a white pad, got about 90 Percent of the swirls out, then I threw on some mothers carabunga was............looks pretty good, but I still think I'm making too many mistakes.

Now I'm using all new pads, so I prep them with the stuff, then I put a few drops on them to work it into the paint. I do about 6-8 passes on a 2X2 section, cleaning the pad on the fly & also using that Mckees 37 pad cleaner and that handy dandy $14 brush, which looks a lot like my tooth brush. LOL

Just so I got this right, I use the UC, then wipe off, then use with a new pad the UP, then wipe off, then use a new pad and put on the wax, then I throw on some detail spray..........why who knows, by then I'm on my 5th beer.

Now the issue I see, from reading Mikes book, he says prime the pad, but in some of his vids, hes putting just a "X" of product on a clean pad.

Since I'm old & stupid, am I doing this right, or should I be doing something else here...........sorry for the long post.

Rich

Couple of pics, the paint does look pretty good, the reflection is of the garage door, and some trees outside.

I'm thinking since I still see a few swirls, do I need a better pad "Yellow" or something better than the UC.

Rich

Rsurfer
06-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Get some Menzerna 400 and finish down with SF3800. It will make your paint pop.

Richs66
06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Get some Menzerna 400 and finish down with SF3800. It will make your paint pop.

Hey, thanks for the tip, will do.............just wondering seeing I was using the UC with an orange pad, should I have used the UP with an orange pad also, to maybe pick up the remaining swirls.

Or would I be better off with a micro fiber pad.

Rich

Rsurfer
06-04-2017, 07:16 PM
The compound rather it be UC or Menz, should remove the swirls, but may leave some hazing behind. A finishing polish used after a compound should not be used to remove swirls, that's the job of the compound.