PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a technique for a DD for me

Ryan509
06-03-2017, 05:40 PM
G'day to all,

So long story short, i'm losing faith in my own work (just done as a hobbie and not a buisness). I love washing my own truck, doing interior, exterior but latley it just seems like nothing is working right for me. I spent last summer using ONR as my main washing with a BFWD Sealant and honestly i seemed to have no issues, other then i always seemed to have dirt left in the crevices n stuff after ONR. This summer i switched back to hose & wash soap, which is ok by me as i do work construction so i get alot of dirt on the truck. So my first issue is i applied BFWD in spring, it lasted a month and the beading was gone. I posted on a fb group and they agreed with me on it being to old (had it for almost 5 years) so i tossed it. I then switched over to what i had left of Megs Gold class Liquid Carnubua which i have had equally as long. It has been stored indoors, in a dark closet in a room with AC, i tossed some of that on my truck and a buddies truck (140$ exterior detail) 2 weeks ago and now both of our's are barley beading. From my understanding lack of bead doesn't mean protection is gone per say. I did a feeler on my truck and the paint was still smooth, fairly easy to wash. Only difference is bugs stuck a tad bit more then usual. Not really happy that i didn't even get to use half a bottle and now i gotta toss it. Anyways to the losing faith part, just seems none of my products are working right for me lately and i COULD be the problem, who knows. I always find i'm trying to get the next best thing and i think that may be the issue.

What kind of condition do you guys keep your DD's in. I usually spend about 1.25hr doing my weekly upkeep of exterior, interior is only every few months. I always feel like i gotta keep my DD spotless or my friends will notice and critisize me lol.

Here are my products used
-Mothers Mtech Wash & Wax (i just bought this stuff so i'd like to stick with it)
-Chenile wash mitt
-GritGuard 1bm (i have never had issues with 1 bucket before)
-Megs Water Magnet Waffle Weave drying towel
-Mothers Mtech Quick Detailer
-Poorboys Tireshine (love this stuff)

What i'm looking for is the simplest way for DD upkeep.

This is what i'm looking at right now for LSP, it's a new company in canada. Seems almost like a hybrid sealant. Fyi, my 15 silverado will be un polished, but is always clayed prior to lsp.

hope this makes sense to everyone.

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1312-Silverwax-Sealant.jpg

TMQ
06-03-2017, 06:01 PM
You're just about where I am with my stuff. If were me, I'll do a
1. basic soap and wash.
2. do a spray on wax--I use Meguiars Ultimate quick wax.

Done this on wife's car past 2 years---Looks better than some my long drawn out polish/compounding work!

Stuff you spray on probably will last you a month easy...

Tom

Buster906
06-03-2017, 06:21 PM
I suggest researching coatings

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan509
06-03-2017, 06:37 PM
just took my truck out in the sun, looks terrible lol. not sure if it was the wash and wax or the quick detailer but the windshield did not come clean whatsoever. Might sell it and go back to gold class, As for coatings, I do enjoy washing/waxing but i just can't understand what i'm doing wrong lol

Buster906
06-03-2017, 07:06 PM
I have never had any issues with Meguiars lines. I am partial to their professional and mirror glaze line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cleanmycorolla
06-03-2017, 07:16 PM
are you ever claying or actually polishing the car? applying a sealant to paint that hasn't at least been clayed isn't going to do much...and just touching your paint and saying its smooth is one thing, do a baggy test. For my dd's I polish and clay 2x a year. Also, your BFWD was probably fine. I have an almost 7 year old bottle and it's working awesome still, just have to shake the snot out of it prior to use.

Ryan509
06-03-2017, 07:22 PM
yes i do clay. Nano Sponge blue (the fine one) each time before i apply LSP with ONR as my lube. I havn't gone as far as the baggie test though. I have some mothers clay kicking around, maybe i will give that a go because i used that up until this year and this is the year i'm having issues

TMQ
06-03-2017, 09:30 PM
Could be dirt inside the windshield. Check to make sure it's only on outside.

Had the same issue with windshield looking really bad on the outside. Spotty and multiples of streaks all over. Couldn't get anything to remove the crap on the windshield. Broke out the buffer and used a compound and buzzed the windshield.
Cleaned up it with stoners and then applied McKee's windshield coating. And dang, it looks like a new windshield! Nothing sticks to it now and water just flies off at 40 mph and on up.

As for the paint, I tend to clay bar once a year in the spring and just basically just keep it clean once or twice a month with soap/water and every other wash---hit it with a
synthetic/polymer type of spray wax, ie: Meguiars Ultimate quick wax.

The car is 3 years old now and it looks as new as the day we bought it.

Quite simple---just keep it clean.

Keep the spray wax and detailer off the windshield. It looks great for awhile but by couple of years it will get really nasty and hard to see out and also to remove.

Tom

TMQ
06-03-2017, 09:44 PM
Oh BTW---sounds as you're doing everything right.

With that in mind---the x factor is probably the "wax" in the wash and don't bother with the detailer for a DD.
Just basic good quality car soap/shampoo without any exotic stuff in it.

Tom

Ryan509
06-03-2017, 09:45 PM
thank you. I do have aquapell on it and like i said. NEVER had an issue with it until today, for some reason it didn't wanna come off. i think i'm going to just switch my wash soap as i think thats the culprit. It's only a 2015 so the windshield is still mint with no cracks or dings. thank you though. As for a sealant, i might give Autoglyms extra gloss protection a try also. Seems like it's comparable to that opti seal.

TMQ
06-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Break out the buffer and compound the glass---that should clean it off.

Tom

Ryan509
06-04-2017, 02:09 PM
hit it with stoners invisible glass and she came clean, all good now. think it was from the wash & wax tbh