PDA

View Full Version : Am I using collinite 845 wrong?

Pages : [1] 2

AstonSenna
06-03-2017, 11:45 AM
I had to redo my hood twice to get ride of pesky flower stains but after polishing it , I put down a layer of BOSS finishing sealant and then 845. I'd read a guide on 845 , so I tried following it to a tee, I put the bottle in warm water to get it homogenous and shook it good and put 4 penny sized drops on my blue LC CCS pad , set speed 2 on my GG6 and layed it over the hood. Now I did two passes on it just to get what in my mind was complete uniform coverage. I let it marinate for 45 minutes by which point the smear test still did not really pass 100% yet but I had to be somewhere so wiped it off , came off easily too. Even after it looked all clean, I still gently wiped the hood a couple times just to be sure and get any last residue off. Bam! It looked beautiful. By this point the sun had gone down. Next day I drive the car to work and park 30 minutes later and to my horror, after being in the sun and heating up, the 845 has hazed again. Even though I was 100 percent certain it was all off, not a trace of it in garage, once it was the sun, you could see the trails of where the buffer passed, it was like I never wiped it off! Same thing happened prior when I didn't use finishing sealant and laid it over Wolfgang finishing glaze. So I'm not sure what the issue is, should I let it sit even longer? Am I still using too much of it? Should I do it during daytime so that I could park it in sun after buffing off to catch the rehaze right away?
What's more puzzling is that I used quick detailer to wipe off hood that night​ which worked, until the next day in sun again it came back once more.
Or should I use a different wax lol. I was thinking best of show would look good over finishing sealant since they're both Griot's products

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ronkh57
06-03-2017, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you used too much and "sweating".

AstonSenna
06-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you used too much and "sweating".

so even 4 drops for entire hood is still too much?
So if less is used that would prevent the sweating. Which is really the perfect word to describe it!
I was shocked to see that even after the ultimate quick detail took it off, it still came back

SeanChav
06-03-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm no expert by any means, but when I use collinite 845 I use very little product....4 pennies on a hood sounds like a lot to me, I use maybe 2 on my hood and I even think that's being very generous....I also don't let it sit/haze for very long before wiping it off and I've ever had any problems

LSNAutoDetailing
06-03-2017, 01:29 PM
This article may help: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

AstonSenna
06-03-2017, 04:04 PM
This article may help: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

That's where I first saw the 4 drops, but I will try less and see what happens!
The first time I did the whole car two months ago I probably over applied a lot but never had any issues, it's all just recent, maybe because the ambient temp has greatly increased since then too

AutowerxDetailing
06-03-2017, 04:19 PM
You want it to be almost invisible when you apply it. You only want a really thin layer.

MarkD51
06-03-2017, 05:18 PM
I have no definite answers.

I of course know how to apply Waxes and Sealants, but I have never, repeat never been overly OCD or anal about how I applied any of the Collinite products, including #845, and have used them all for literal decades.

That I just go at it, insuring complete coverage, sometimes come back immediately after an application walk-around, they all usually will pass the swipe test no problemo, and wipe clean lickety split with no issues ever during or after wipe off.

I've only ever experienced a little more difficulty with removal with #915, and that's even in comparison to #476 Doublecoat, that commonly #476 was actually an easier paste to use.

But the differences may not be of "how" they are applied, but "where?

My personal experiences have first been living in the Midwest, Illinois, and then for the past 14 years here in the Desert Southwest.

Here in the desert, a soaking wet street after a torrential rain downpour can be bone dry just 20 minutes later, due to common low humidity and the unique weather conditions here.

Are you using these in high humidity? That may be the answer as to what some are calling "sweating".

cleanmycorolla
06-03-2017, 05:30 PM
845, basically apply it like its a ghost, its should be invisible. I've always had hard luck with 845 I'm heavy handed at times and we never got along well

AZpolisher15
06-03-2017, 08:28 PM
I wonder if the problem lies not in the 845 application, but rather 845 over the Boss Finishing Sealant without giving the Boss time to cure first.

DavidAl
06-03-2017, 09:23 PM
I had to redo my hood twice to get ride of pesky flower stains but after polishing it , I put down a layer of BOSS finishing sealant and then 845. I'd read a guide on 845 , so I tried following it to a tee, I put the bottle in warm water to get it homogenous and shook it good and put 4 penny sized drops on my blue LC CCS pad , set speed 2 on my GG6 and layed it over the hood. Now I did two passes on it just to get what in my mind was complete uniform coverage. I let it marinate for 45 minutes by which point the smear test still did not really pass 100% yet but I had to be somewhere so wiped it off , came off easily too. Even after it looked all clean, I still gently wiped the hood a couple times just to be sure and get any last residue off. Bam! It looked beautiful. By this point the sun had gone down. Next day I drive the car to work and park 30 minutes later and to my horror, after being in the sun and heating up, the 845 has hazed again. Even though I was 100 percent certain it was all off, not a trace of it in garage, once it was the sun, you could see the trails of where the buffer passed, it was like I never wiped it off! Same thing happened prior when I didn't use finishing sealant and laid it over Wolfgang finishing glaze. So I'm not sure what the issue is, should I let it sit even longer? Am I still using too much of it? Should I do it during daytime so that I could park it in sun after buffing off to catch the rehaze right away?
What's more puzzling is that I used quick detailer to wipe off hood that night​ which worked, until the next day in sun again it came back once more.
Or should I use a different wax lol. I was thinking best of show would look good over finishing sealant since they're both Griot's products

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
Dew is interacting with the Collinite and not letting it cure properly.

spazzz
06-03-2017, 09:28 PM
I had the same thing happen to me more than once.
I applied in fall (Wisconsin), cool nights and hot days.

When I drove to work in the A.M. it looked great then about 2 P.M. with the sun beating down, it turned hazy.
After a day or 2 it evened out. I may have wiped it down with a detail spray in there somewhere but I'm not sure.

Eldorado2k
06-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Boss Finishing Sealant

Colonite

Ultimate Quik Detailer

All in the same evening = traffic jam of products resulting in the mess that you saw the next day... Just my guess.

Route246
06-04-2017, 12:30 AM
That's where I first saw the 4 drops, but I will try less and see what happens!
The first time I did the whole car two months ago I probably over applied a lot but never had any issues, it's all just recent, maybe because the ambient temp has greatly increased since then too

Maybe you didn't use enough?

schambers
06-04-2017, 05:20 AM
Had this same issue on my girlfriends black Hyundai Veloster...
Washed
Clayed
Washed again
Looked great if I kept it in the garage....once we took it out in the sun it hazed up....next day I used some Duragloss QD mixed with some Auqawax and that made it stop....that was the first time I had ever seen that happen with 845 and I had used it a couple of times before on her car

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline