PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on garage scuffs

Pages : [1] 2

jsa
06-02-2017, 06:27 PM
My wife hit the side of her car on the garage and some advice on how to get the scuffs out. Here is my thoughts:

Porter Cable (speed setting 5/6)
Lake Country foam pads

White pad/McKees 360 if no..
White pad/McKees Fine Cut. Still no
White pad McKees Aggressive Compound

If still no, I would follow the same compound order only with an orange pad.

If still no, same compound order but with a yellow pad.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, much appreciated​!

Sent from my XT1254 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

jsa
06-02-2017, 06:29 PM
My wife hit the side of her car on the garage and some advice on how to get the scuffs out. Here is my thoughts:

Porter Cable (speed setting 5/6)
Lake Country foam pads

White pad/McKees 360 if no..
White pad/McKees Fine Cut. Still no
White pad McKees Aggressive Compound

If still no, I would follow the same compound order only with an orange pad.

If still no, same compound order but with a yellow pad.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, much appreciated​!

Sent from my XT1254 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Buster906
06-02-2017, 06:47 PM
You have a solid plan. Go forth and shine

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lane5515
06-02-2017, 06:49 PM
I would wash the area and then try clay first. I bet most of that will be removed by claying.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Bruno Soares
06-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser first. My wife did the same and a few sprays of WD 40 and Magic Eraser got everything out super easy.

rlmccarty2000
06-02-2017, 07:12 PM
You've got a good plan, but getting hands on with some agressive clay will get you a better picture of what you are dealing with. I personally don't go near paint with a Magic Eraser but it should be ok on the trim.

Eldorado2k
06-03-2017, 04:21 AM
It looks like simple paint transfer. Clay won't remove that. And I wouldn't go anywhere near paint with a Magic Eraser... Sounds like OP has the right plan in mind. [go straight to the Orange pad and it sound come off fairly quik, especially paired with the compound]

fightnews
06-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Mr Clean Magic Eraser first. My wife did the same and a few sprays of WD 40 and Magic Eraser got everything out super easy.

You've got a good plan, but getting hands on with some agressive clay will get you a better picture of what you are dealing with. I personally don't go near paint with a Magic Eraser but it should be ok on the trim.

times 10 for the wd40 thats awful advice. Whether or not it works wd40 its not made for anything regarding paint issues on a car.

SabbyNJ
06-03-2017, 06:20 AM
Just be careful around edges, that's where paint is the thinnest. What ever method you use and works, just be mindful and more careful around the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Paul A.
06-03-2017, 06:46 AM
I have to agree with all the warnings against using WD-40. WD-40 is a solvent and it nevers touches my car's paint. I would offer the same caution about using a Magic Eraser on paint. I still do not know what chemicals are in those things and not knowing that keeps them off my paint or any other use inside or outside the car. Yup, WD-40 and a magic eraser worked quickly but the harshness of both of those products scares me!

With regard to "scuffs" or any paint transfer type of vehicle "wound"...

I always treat them FIRST as something on top of the paint. That is, whatever was transferred onto my paint I like to remove with a decontamination type effort. If house paint has been rubbed onto my car paint it is first sitting on top of my paint. I always remove the unwanted transfer FIRST to then reveal whatever scratches have occurred BELOW the paint surface. My favorite is Duragloss 501 but I like any chemical type paint cleaner or cleaner wax without too much abrasive. For me, this cleans the unwanted house paint off first. I can then reveal if, and how deep, any scratches remain. Then I proceed to abrading the scratch(es) accordingly with the appropriate grade abrasive and pad. If any scratches are too deep, leave them alone and consider filling them in with paint or simply biting the bullet and get it professionally repaired. A clay bar may also be effective as you're working at getting something off the paint's surface.

My personal approach would be the chemical paint cleaner or cleaner wax product with an escalating progression of pad firmness if a mild pad doesn't get it. 90% of the time I'm happy with removing the ugliness once the transferred paint is gone. Then, I don't chase deep scratches with compounds that remove too much of that precious factory paint.

And all of this is like a test spot for me. I go least aggressive first to eventually arrive at what is most effective but removes the least amount, if any, of the factory applied paint.

Sorry that happened for ya, jsa, but after removing all that white paint it will look much better. From the pic it looks scratched too but try to minimize them if they're too deep.

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2017, 06:55 AM
It looks like simple paint transfer. Clay won't remove that.

That has also been my experience that clay is ineffective in these circumstances. And also, as has been mentioned, polishes which are primarily chemical cleaners do well on house paint.

What no one else seems to have mentioned, is, to me, from the picture, it looks like several areas are through the paint. So the OP needs to be aware that once he removes the house paint that is "on top", as previously mentioned, and smooths it out a little, he is going to be left with areas of exposed primer and possibly metal, which if he attempts to "remove", are only going to get worse.

Paul A.
06-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Absolutely agree, setec! Once it's cleaned up and you are left with whatever damage remains, you need to make sure to recognize what you can't do anything about.

jsa
06-07-2017, 03:48 PM
Well, I went through the entire process that I outlined and wouldn't you know it, it took the last option. Yellow pad, aggressive compound. Wife thinks I'm a hero, so it was worth it. [emoji2] Thanks guys for your help!

Paul A.
06-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Beautiful recovery and, happy wife, happy life!

VISITOR
06-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Well, I went through the entire process that I outlined and wouldn't you know it, it took the last option. Yellow pad, aggressive compound. Wife thinks I'm a hero, so it was worth it. [emoji2] Thanks guys for your help!

now here's your chance to order more detail supplies and let her know that just in case "something like this happens again"... ;)