PDA

View Full Version : Problems with micro marring

Dfou
06-02-2017, 01:16 PM
New to the forum and already learned alot. Ive recently bought a 2007 F250 Harley Edition in black. The paint has terrible swirls, scratches and acid rain spots. I have tried several polish/pad combos and I've had to go to a pretty aggressive compound (3m Superduty) and orange pad on a rotary buffer to remove the damage. I followed that up with their machine polish on a black pad with the rotary and I'm getting descent results but it's still leaving alotta tiny swirls. I've tried Megs UP with the DA on several different pads to finish it off and under a light I'm still seeing marks. I also tried the Sonax cutmax and EX 0406 but I'm getting pretty bad hazing (user error I'm sure) and I can't figure out how to correct it

Mike Phillips
06-02-2017, 03:37 PM
I also tried the Sonax cutmax and EX 0406 but I'm getting pretty bad hazing (user error I'm sure) and I can't figure out how to correct it

The 3M stuff is made for rotary, the finishing polish works with orbitals.

The SONAX EX 04-06 is a top notch polish.

Question: Did you apply the SONAX EX 04-06 with a clean un-used soft polishing pad or was it already used with other products? (3M)

If you used a tainted pad the problem could be the previously used products. SONAX EX O4-06 is specifically for a orbital polisher so not sure if that's the issue or not.

My recommendation would be to get an orbital polisher to do any finishing work. If all you polish is your bike then get a Griot's Garage 3" mini polisher for the finishing work.

It's 4:30pm on Friday and I'm checking out for the weekend. Buffed out a Blown 1936 Ford Pickup Streetrod and a 24" black car hauler today so I'm done.

Here's the old 2-door Ford...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/1936_Blown_Ford_PU_001.JPG

I'll check back on this thread later though...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

Mike Phillips
06-02-2017, 03:40 PM
I've tried Megs UP with the DA on several different pads to finish it off and under a light I'm still seeing marks.

Whoops... just saw this little tidbit...

If you're using clean, soft foam polishing pads and seeing micro-marring with Meguiar's UP or SONAX EX 04-06 then it's likely the paint is really soft.

Try finishing out with a good one=step cleaner/wax and let the wax dry before you wipe it off.

See this article,

How to avoid haze and scratching when working on soft paint? (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/109937-how-avoid-haze-scratching-when-working-soft-paint.html)

:)

Dfou
06-02-2017, 04:00 PM
These were brand new LC pads on a DA. It's a Ford F250 not a bike, maybe someone is familiar with the paint. I assumed it was hard since I had to go to such an abrasive compound to get the swirls and water spots out. I'm planning to put the Mckee's 37 paint coating. Would you still recommend the cleaner wax? or will the Mckee's coating prep polish work as a substitute?

Dfou
06-02-2017, 04:01 PM
What pad and speed setting would you recommend trying with the sonax ex 04-06?

WRAPT C5Z06
06-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Rupes Yellow Pad. If the paint is soft, 04-06 is too aggressive of a polish, especially to finish with.