PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning bugs out of microfiber without washing?

Emt1581
06-01-2017, 06:54 AM
I got my bottle of quick detailer in the mail from Chemical Guys. I used it last night on my front bumper and windshield. It's pretty impressive! What I'm doing is using a small "Super Towel" (yellow with black sewn edging) folded in quarters to clean bugs/road crap off when getting to a destination. However, I don't want to have to wash the towel every day just to keep it relatively clean.

What do ya'll do with your quick detail towels to keep them clean other than throwing them in the washing machine?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Setec Astronomy
06-01-2017, 07:16 AM
Um...that's kind of part of the deal, the washing part. The easiest way to keep them clean is not to use them. If you use them, especially to clean dirt or bugs, they are going to get dirty. The best way to clean them is to "throw them in the washing machine". If you don't want to wash every day, but expect to use one every day, and want a clean one every day, is to buy 7 towels and wash them once a week. I think I have at least a towel for every day of the year, but I haven't counted in a while.

Desertnate
06-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Every time the MF towel is used to pick up dirt, bugs, bird droppings, etc, that is something you don't want touching your paint again. You have to keep them clean.

If I simply clean a bird dropping or other small, isolated spot off my car, I might keep the MF towel around as I get eight cleaning surfaces when the towel is folded into quarters. However if I do something bug removal over the entire front of my car, that towel is done and headed to the laundry.

Emt1581
06-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Alright, I guess washing is the only real option. I greatly appreciate the responses.

-Emt1581

FUNX650
06-01-2017, 12:59 PM
Alright, I guess washing is the only real option.

Doesn't anyone still clean their towels,
(and/or other linens), by beating them
on a rock down by the river?

Oh well:
another Skilled Trade...lost.

Bob

Rsurfer
06-01-2017, 01:36 PM

Oh well:

Bob

I have a more modern tool, it's called a wash board.

Desertnate
06-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Oh well:

Bob

Sadly I think this skill started to go away when those pesky city planners started building municipal water systems. Now we can use washboards in our kitchens like Rsurfer rather than having to hike a mile or two to the river.

PaulMys
06-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Oh well:

Bob

I used to do this until I was confronted by a rather questionable group of otters. They had "bad news" written all over them.

LEDetailing
06-01-2017, 07:45 PM

Oh well:

Bob

No, but I did hand wash my boys baseball hats in my wash bucket with the GG washboard yesterday. Even used an Atlasta soft tip brush and Pyrex F&C.

FUNX650
06-01-2017, 08:01 PM
No, but I did hand wash my boys
baseball hats in my wash bucket
with the GG washboard yesterday.

Even used an Atlasta soft tip brush
and Pyrex F&C.
After reading your below posting...
I can believe just about anything
that you say you do---as far as it
applies to detailing. :dblthumb2:

A sanded down/rounded-off toothpick
and zero pressure would work too.

<< has been known to use
razor blade on paint
in a last attempt to remove
petrified pine pitch/sap:)

:)

Bob

jsgntulok
06-01-2017, 09:40 PM
I have a more modern tool, it's called a wash board.

I clean my microfiber towels by scrubbing them on my husband's washboard abs.

Mantilgh
06-02-2017, 04:43 PM
I thought I saw someone on here had used cookie cooling racks and pressure sprayer to clean theirs.

I'll lay my dirty towels on my work platform and spray both side with the hose after I'm done.

A pressure washer would almost make them spotless.