PDA

View Full Version : Hydro 2 enough for polished aluminum wheels?

z0666
05-31-2017, 04:06 PM
So just spent the big bucks on raw polished aluminum wheels for my truck and trying my best to protect the shine over time.
I opted out of doing an actual ceramic coating due to many mixed results/reviews on using so on polished aluminum.
I have some zephyrs pro 40 to use for polishing and i plan on using hydro2 on them from new but is that enough for the wheels?
Should i skip the hydro2 and just use wax? I want to be able to maintain the shine by polishing every 2-3 weeks so im not sure how "permanent" the hydro 2 is vs wax specifically on wheels.
Thanks guys

atgonzales
05-31-2017, 04:22 PM
I would look at this...

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rsurfer
05-31-2017, 04:23 PM
So just spent the big bucks on raw polished aluminum wheels for my truck and trying my best to protect the shine over time.
I opted out of doing an actual ceramic coating due to many mixed results/reviews on using so on polished aluminum.
I have some zephyrs pro 40 to use for polishing and i plan on using hydro2 on them from new but is that enough for the wheels?
Should i skip the hydro2 and just use wax? I want to be able to maintain the shine by polishing every 2-3 weeks so im not sure how "permanent" the hydro 2 is vs wax specifically on wheels.
Thanks guys

You are probably gung ho over your new wheels, but polishing them every 2-3 weeks will soon get old. Use a coating and make your life much easier.

evo77
05-31-2017, 04:31 PM
Back in the day I had some Ro_Ja wheels (anyone remember RJ de Veras wheel line?) It was a 2-piece wheel and the barrel/lip was bare aluminum. Looked beautiful when polished but once it rained, they quickly oxidized and I found myself constantly polishing them. What a PITA!!

Coat them.

z0666
05-31-2017, 04:42 PM
Back in the day I had some Ro_Ja wheels (anyone remember RJ de Veras wheel line?) It was a 2-piece wheel and the barrel/lip was bare aluminum. Looked beautiful when polished but once it rained, they quickly oxidized and I found myself constantly polishing them. What a PITA!!

Coat them.

You are probably gung ho over your new wheels, but polishing them every 2-3 weeks will soon get old. Use a coating and make your life much easier.

lol, spending a 20 minutes to a half hour every 2 to 3 weeks doesnt bother me much. Hell, after every ride on my dirtbike its at least an hour wash and sometimes thats multiple times a week....its like therapy to me

HOWEVER, i am absolutely open to using a coating. I just dont know what is best not only for the aluminum but to maintain the shine as well. Anybody with real world results?

Bobby B.
05-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Boyd Coddington Tru-Coat Ceramic Coating would be a great choice for long term protection on your new wheels.

Boyd Coddington Tru-Coat Ceramic Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/boyd-tru-coat-coating.html)

Crispy
05-31-2017, 07:22 PM
lol, spending a 20 minutes to a half hour every 2 to 3 weeks doesnt bother me much. Hell, after every ride on my dirtbike its at least an hour wash and sometimes thats multiple times a week....its like therapy to me

HOWEVER, i am absolutely open to using a coating. I just dont know what is best not only for the aluminum but to maintain the shine as well. Anybody with real world results?

Gtechniq Wheel Armor on bare aluminum machine polished by myself.

Put on at start on winter and lasted all through 5 months on my DD.

I used Permanon (Hydro2 like product) to spot clean but mostly ONR washed.

They kept their shine and were super easy to clean.

If I were to do again I would probably Wheel Armour and top with Collenite 845 (have since powdercoated the wheels).

One word of caution, the wheels must be surgically clean before applying the coating.

Any and all polishing oils must be removed.

Just my own spin.

PS I use the wheel armor on my painted wheels and it works great.

cameronthmpsn
05-31-2017, 07:27 PM
I had a set of aluminum rims that I was keeping up. I tried using both wheel wax and sealant to try and keep the upkeep minimal but never found something I really liked. The best thing I did find was a set of 3" griot's metal pads and HD metal on my PC. You just have a use caution not to leave da haze if you get to aggressive. This would only be done every other month or s , and a typical had shine in between would be sufficient.

It's a dirty job, but when done right, the outcome was always very rewarding.