PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin vs clay bar

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

vital2
05-31-2017, 12:23 PM
Why don't I see any dirt on the nanoskin when I use it like I do with a clay bar? How do I even know if it's working?

mengelhardt
05-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Because the contaminates don't embed themselves into the nanoskin like they do with regular clay. That is why you need to keep kneeding/working the clay to get a fresh face and avoid dragging the same contaminates over the paint. The Nanoskin pulls them out, but doesn't hold on to them like clay does. This is why you are supposed to rinse off the nanoskin every so often, and also why you can keep using it after dropping it. Just spray/rinse it off and go back to work.

You can tell its working by following up with a baggy test to ensure all the contaminates are gone.

I've pretty much switched over completely to nanoskin type products rather than clay for 95% of my claying duties. The only place I still use regular clay is in tough to get to places like emblems, badges, etc.... where the bigger nanoskin products just can't get into like a piece of pliable clay can.

vital2
05-31-2017, 01:19 PM
What is a baggy test?

idriveblackcars
05-31-2017, 02:16 PM
I love my nano skin clay pads. The light works extremely well with little to no marring even on a black car.

kaliagent2001
05-31-2017, 02:31 PM
cant remember when i used clay last. nanoskin has changed my life.

vital2
05-31-2017, 02:36 PM
does nanoskin strip sealant or wax?

amalik
05-31-2017, 02:40 PM
cant remember when i used clay last. nanoskin has changed my life.

got a link?

kaliagent2001
05-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html)

Not sure if it does like clay, stripping sealer and waxes. But anytime i smooth any service i lay down an AIO .

mengelhardt
05-31-2017, 02:47 PM
does nanoskin strip sealant or wax?

Yes, both clay and nanoskin type products will work to remove/strip/damage whatever wax or sealant is currently on the vehicle, which is why the claying step is one of the first steps in correcting paint issues, followed up by polishing and applying protection (wax/sealant/coating).

JustJesus
05-31-2017, 03:49 PM
What is a baggy test?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml434m7ILNA

amalik
05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-wash-mitt-fine-grade.html)

Not sure if it does like clay, stripping sealer and waxes. But anytime i smooth any service i lay down an AIO .

so what's the deal here, this saves you time or something VS clay?

kaliagent2001
05-31-2017, 04:56 PM
Sure does, no cleaning and shaping the Nanoskin like you do clay. It even last longer than clay. I recommend one.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Route246
05-31-2017, 05:23 PM
What is a baggy test?

No need to use a baggie. You can feel the contaminants with your fingers. Just try it, before and after. It will feel distinctly smoother to the touch once you pass the nanoskin over the contaminated surface.

Ernie Mccracken
05-31-2017, 05:33 PM
Is there any objective way to test? I have both and like how fast and easy the nanoskin is, but when I really want to go to town on a panel (and have the time), I still reach for clay.

Red Lehr
05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Used my Cobra Clay Mit (nanoskin) for the first time today as opposed to the clay and WOW, it's easier to use, just wash it out and keep going, no kneading or worrying about rubbing old contaminates into the paint and it is a much faster process. I was taking off black paint over spray and you can feel the paint coming off with the Cobra mit just as easily as you did with the clay.
I'm with a lot of you out there in putting my clay on the back shelf in favor of the nanoskin pads.

Red