PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to fix this scratch/chip?

Mikeb018
05-30-2017, 11:48 AM

I found this chip on my car and not sure how it happened since I park very far from everything and anything that could potentially harm my car. Can someone give me some advice on how to deal with this I'm very heart broken after seeing this haha.

thanks!

Buster906
05-30-2017, 11:52 AM
Look up Dr Colorchip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bobby B.
05-30-2017, 11:56 AM
Dr. ColorChip will help make this less noticeable.

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-repair.html)

Viper1973
05-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Dr. ColorChip will help make this less noticeable.

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-repair.html)

100% agree... Doctor ColorChip rocks! Totally invisible repairs but may take a couple of back-to-back 'treatments' to fully level the surface. It's pretty much idiot-proof and when polished just disappears like the blemish never happened. Can't recommend them enough.

Mikeb018
05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
100% agree... Doctor ColorChip rocks! Totally invisible repairs but may take a couple of back-to-back 'treatments' to fully level the surface. It's pretty much idiot-proof and when polished just disappears like the blemish never happened. Can't recommend them enough.

Ah they don't have the Navarra Blue color for my Audi .. I ended up purchasing from paintscratch .. came with a clear coat pen, basecoast pen, acrylic and compound stuff. I hope it's as easy as you've guys say haha not sure how to do it but there should be instructions or YouTube videos

Powerwheels
05-30-2017, 01:25 PM
With Dr color chip, explain multiple applications please. My garaged​ car has a few small chips and I won't touch them till I know I'll have a good result with a repair.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Viper1973
05-30-2017, 01:50 PM
With Dr color chip, explain multiple applications please. My garaged​ car has a few small chips and I won't touch them till I know I'll have a good result with a repair.

In using it on my vehicles it tends to go on 'thin' initially not fully hiding the chips. What I do is apply it today and go through the process then let it dry overnight. Then tomorrow repeat. Each time the chip is filled more and more. I continue this process until it's fully filled, flush and I'm happy with the repair. I then wait a week and give it a good buff and it virtually disappears.

Dr. ColorChip is almost like magic in a bottle doing it this way.

Powerwheels
05-30-2017, 01:56 PM
So leave some excess paint around the the chip and it will buff right off?

Killerheroin
05-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Mikeb018,
when you are working on scratches or chips you want to build very thin layers and you want to dab the paint on with the smallest brush you can find. Like everyone has previously said Dr. Color Chip is a great system. Since trying this system this is my goto vendor for all paint touch up for cars. One thing I did learn though is when you are working with metallic paints you really need to fill the scratch to a point and then build up the rest of the scratch of chip with clear. This provides allot better match in my opinion. After I build up the scratch or tip to over the area the surrounding area, I then let it sit over night and come back the following day wetsand with 3,000 grit, compound and polish the scratch to blend in.

dennis hiip
05-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Question: The Color chip is SS(right). Does it still work good with base coat/clear coat finishes?

Viper1973
05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Question: The Color chip is SS(right). Does it still work good with base coat/clear coat finishes?

Yes... it's a single stage touch up. In my experience with it, by using multiple coats, I can get near flawless repairs using it as recommended (i.e. Without clear or sanding) as long as I buff and polish over it about a week later. They do not recommend top coating it - I asked that question when I started using it and all of the paints I've used it on are metallic with fantastic results.

rlmccarty2000
05-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Dr. Colorchip works great, but "invisible" is a little over the top. From 5 feet it may be barely noticeable, but don't expect miracles.

Viper1973
05-30-2017, 07:58 PM
Dr. Colorchip works great, but "invisible" is a little over the top. From 5 feet it may be barely noticeable, but don't expect miracles.

Agreed.... expectations need to be appropriately managed. It was actually recommended to me by the bodyshop at my local GM dealership.

From what I've read and seen myself, the invisibility of repairs is highly dependent upon the color of the vehicle. Worst color to show is supposed to be silvers or grays. I've used it on GM colors Ming Blue, Crimson Red, Arctic White and Victory Red with results far exceeding my expectations. It takes patience and practice.

A coworker had a terrible time with it on his Magnetic Gray Toyota and neither of us could get nearly as good of a match with that color. In his case, factory touchup paint and Langka worked better.

Before I started using their products I ended up calling them and they explained what I could expect. It's an amazing system IF you have a color that happens to work with their spectrum.

Crispy
05-30-2017, 08:39 PM

I found this chip on my car and not sure how it happened since I park very far from everything and anything that could potentially harm my car. Can someone give me some advice on how to deal with this I'm very heart broken after seeing this haha.

thanks!

Did you even bother to do a search first?

There are hundreds of posts on this forum on fixing scratches.

Matt Hanson
06-01-2017, 02:14 PM
Dr Color Chip is pretty amazing, as previously mentioned. We have used it on a few customers' cars and even on my wife's car. The process is certainly tedious if there are many chips...but well worth the time. One thing to note with this process though is that when applying the sealact with the cotton towel/rag, it will most definitely leave swirls in the paint. Here is how the folks at Dr Color Chip recommended using their product in conjunction with detailing/paint correction/coatings.

-Wash/dry/clay as normal
-Perform the paint correction
-Apply the Dr Color Chip per the instructions
-Apply the wax/sealant/coating

My .02 cents.......after correcting, you will introduce swirls...BUT, they recommend leaving the touch up to cure for close to a month (perhaps overkill, but I am not sure). I need to play around a bit more with this and figure out the sweet spot for the curing time vs correcting and machine polishing tolerance.