PDA

View Full Version : McKees Polishing Pad Rejuvinator

DETAILROOKIE
05-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend.

I received my McKees Polishing Pad Rejuvinator on Thursday and decided to try it out this weekend. I typically fill up a bucket with dawn dish soap and let my pads and towels sit for a few hours, or sometimes over night. After them letting them sit, I scrub them with a pad brush or , if I'm doing towels, I'll agitate it by scrubbing two sides together. I thought this was as clean as my pads and towels could get, but I was wrong. I did not take any before pictures because I did not think it was going to improve as much as it did. I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with warm water and added 1 scoop of the McKees Polishing Pad Rejuvinator, stir it around a bit, and threw in my "clean pads". After 15 mins I took them out and rinsed them in another 5 gallon bucket of pure water. I was shocked how good these pads looked, they looked like they had never been used. Keep in mind these pads were used on the black jeep I detailed with HD Speed and cleaned using my old method of Dawn dish soap. As you can see in the picture, the water is black. I now know how I will be cleaning my pads everytime I use them.

This is the third McKees product I use and each of them have produced fantastic results. Thank you Mckees!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

RiKo
05-30-2017, 08:38 AM
im always afraid to get the backing wet so i let them float on 5:1 degreaser for a couple of minutes, lay them down on grit guard for about 10 min and run them on my pad washer a couple minutes. they dont come out super clean.
any problems with backing unsticking from pad when u leave them socking for so long?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

DETAILROOKIE
05-30-2017, 08:50 AM
im always afraid to get the backing wet so i let them float on 5:1 degreaser for a couple of minutes, lay them down on grit guard for about 10 min and run them on my pad washer a couple minutes. they dont come out super clean.
any problems with backing unsticking from pad when u leave them socking for so long?

So far I have not had any issues with the backing separating, I have used the same pads only 4 times. I let them soak for 15 mins and didn't even agitate them like I usually do just to see how clean they would come out just by soaking. Try it and you will be shocked how much cleaner the pads will come out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

RiKo
05-30-2017, 08:53 AM
cant wait to try it out. thanks

DETAILROOKIE
05-30-2017, 05:04 PM
cant wait to try it out. thanks

Goodluck, let me know what you think!

The Guz
05-30-2017, 07:01 PM
It works good. The only issue I had with it was that it turned one of my white rupes pad a dingy yellow color.

Although I had just finished polishing and I just tossed the pad in the bucket and let it sit overnight as I called it a night. Came back the next morning to clean out my pads and it almost looked like a Rupes yellow pad haha. Other than that it works very well at cleaning pads.

mwoywod
05-30-2017, 07:59 PM

This is certainly something you should be cognizant of. In my experience, most APC's and Degreasers will not cause the hook and loop backing to separate from the foam. while i prefer 3D towel kleen now, I used to soak pads in Meguiars super degreaser 1:64 over night and I never had the hook and loop separate on any of my buff and shine pads. (That said, super degreaser is probably the weakest degreaser you can buy so it wasn't very effective at cleaning pads anyway)

That said, if you do let your pads soak for an extended amount of time just make sure the Degreaser isn't a citrus based degreaser. The organic citrus solvents in these types of degreasers are incredibly effective at breaking down sticky residues, tar, grease, etc. So naturally, if left to soak at a strong enough dilution ratio it can start to dissolves and break down the adhesive. I made this mistake a few years ago and now if I do use a citrus degreaser for my HD Speed pads, I spray it on and give it 5-10 minutes max before massaging and rinsing.

DETAILROOKIE
05-30-2017, 08:04 PM
This is certainly something you should be cognizant of. In my experience, most APC's and Degreasers will not cause the hook and loop backing to separate from the foam. while i prefer 3D towel kleen now, I used to soak pads in Meguiars super degreaser 1:64 over night and I never had the hook and loop separate on any of my buff and shine pads. (That said, super degreaser is probably the weakest degreaser you can buy so it wasn't very effective at cleaning pads anyway)

That said, if you do let your pads soak for an extended amount of time just make sure the Degreaser isn't a citrus based degreaser. The organic citrus solvents in these types of degreasers are incredibly effective at breaking down sticky residues, tar, grease, etc. So naturally, if left to soak at a strong enough dilution ratio it can start to dissolves and break down the adhesive. I made this mistake a few years ago and now if I do use a citrus degreaser for my HD Speed pads, I spray it on and give it 5-10 minutes max before massaging and rinsing.
Has the citrus APC remove the pink staining from your pads after using HD speed?

WRAPT C5Z06
05-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Has the citrus APC remove the pink staining from your pads after using HD speed?

IMO, 3D citrus degreaser is relatively mild.

Nothing will remove the color staining of some polishes.

Crispy
05-30-2017, 08:32 PM
I let mine sit sometimes 24 hours sitting in my sink with the backing plate on top.

After cleaned and rinsed let air dry again with the backing plate on top.

Never had a pad backing plate come off.

Some pads have been cleaned 6 to 8 times (just hobbie detailer on my own car) but still look and perform like new.

One thing I did notice was the thinner the pad the easier it was to clean.

Also colour in pad does not effect performance.

mwoywod
05-30-2017, 10:06 PM
IMO, 3D citrus degreaser is relatively mild.

Nothing will remove the color staining of some polishes.

Mild in cleaning ability or mild because it doesn't make you cough when you breath it in and it's safe for lots of materials? It may get beat out by expensive APC's and Degreasers (OPC and Blackfire APC come to mind) but especially for removing years of body oils from leather diluted at 10:1 it cleans MUCH better than Megs super degreaser does at 4:1 and will not make you cough. Much like OPC it is a mild cleaner yet it's incredibly effective. I swear to god Mark, I will fight you in a parking lot if you start dogging on 3D orange degreaser.lol

DETAILROOKIE
05-31-2017, 07:16 AM
^^^^LOL!!!!!^^^^

WRAPT C5Z06
05-31-2017, 07:24 AM
Mild in cleaning ability or mild because it doesn't make you cough when you breath it in and it's safe for lots of materials? It may get beat out by expensive APC's and Degreasers (OPC and Blackfire APC come to mind) but especially for removing years of body oils from leather diluted at 10:1 it cleans MUCH better than Megs super degreaser does at 4:1 and will not make you cough. Much like OPC it is a mild cleaner yet it's incredibly effective. I swear to god Mark, I will fight you in a parking lot if you start dogging on 3D orange degreaser.lol
Name the parking lot...LOLOL!

It does well on interiors, but pretty mild cleaning ability on tires, wheel arches, etc...