PDA

View Full Version : What causes more paint damage? Sitting dirt or car cover?

jay23ls
05-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Happy holiday weekend guys! I would love your expertise and opinions on this paint dilemma I have.

Im not able to keep my beloved sports car indoors right now and of course there's construction going on around. It will be like this for months.

I bought a custom-fitting car cover (Covercraft Noah). Good reviews, cost about $250. I've read that car covers will end up causing damage bc of dirt that gets trapped under them and rubs on the paint. Makes sense.

That construction tho.. car gets really dusty, more like heavy dust and dirt. I cant find the time to wash it every 4-5 days. Yes its getting that dirty that fast. I can usually wash about every 2 wks. Once I do wash it, its really dirty. Of course I use the 2 bucket wash method and a foam gun. I lightly spray the car, then foam gun, then spray off hard (jet) then foam again then spray and finally start washing. Even with all that I feel like there's enough dirt on there that its not coming off well w/ the foam gun or that its scratching the paint when it comes off. Is that correct?

I know about ceramic coatings and waxes, etc but I haven't been able detail and restore the paint so the coating isn't on yet.

What will cause the least amount of paint damage from now until I can get the ceramic coat on? Will the car cover be ok since I'll be taking it off every 2 wks (will remove it if it gets really windy) I don't know how extreme the weather has to be for a car cover to cause damange you know? Is there some kind of amazing soap that will lift more dirt? I want to do a really good job on the paint detail/restoration but have a lot going on right now. Im a small business owner, there's never free time haha but in a couple months I should be able to. I appreciate your input.

Crispy
05-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Had same experience last year.

Doing road work for 9 months ouside my work and dust every working day (and I mean thick).

I think the car cover will grind the dirt into the paint if any dirt penetrates the cover.

The cover itself could grid on the paint (rubbing from wind).

However the dirt on the car will not grind, until you try to remove incorrectly.

I would not use the tarp and let the dirt sit until you can safely remove.

ONR takes 20 minutes on my DD (including wheels), but it is coated and waxed).

Once you have i coated then other options are available.

willowcat11
05-29-2017, 10:58 PM
A car cover on top of sitting dirt.

jay23ls
05-30-2017, 02:27 AM
Had same experience last year.

Doing road work for 9 months ouside my work and dust every working day (and I mean thick).

I think the car cover will grind the dirt into the paint if any dirt penetrates the cover.

The cover itself could grid on the paint (rubbing from wind).

However the dirt on the car will not grind, until you try to remove incorrectly.

I would not use the tarp and let the dirt sit until you can safely remove.

ONR takes 20 minutes on my DD (including wheels), but it is coated and waxed).

Once you have i coated then other options are available.

Crispy! I think you just solved my dilemma! Thank you. I had never heard of ONR. Just researched it for about one hour and I'm convinced. Just ordered it :D

I will end up giving the car a quick "touch up" rinseless wash every 5 days a full regular wash every few weeks and avoid this wicked dirt pile up. Now I can sell the car cover since its brand new. This is why I love this forum!! Thank you. :xyxthumbs:

If anyone else wants to chime in, go ahead. Would like to know if there's a great foam gun soap out there. Or maybe just use ONR w/ the foam gun? Im the MAN

Calendyr
05-30-2017, 03:01 AM
ONR on a dirty car is not the greatest of idea.

If I were you, I would simply pressure wash the car often. It takes about 5-10 minutes to pressure wash a car and it will remove about 80% of the dirt. The only thing that will remain on the car will be bonded dirt and contaminants. You might get some water spots but you can always remove those when you do a proper wash.

ONR is great when the car is dusty or has VERY LIGHT dirt on it. What you are describing sounds too dirty for ONR.

I would avoid the car cover completelly. They can be ok on garage queens that are covered when the car is completelly clean and protected. But in your situation you will damage the paint for sure.

Eric@CherryOnTop
05-30-2017, 05:17 AM

If I were you, I would simply pressure wash the car often. It takes about 5-10 minutes to pressure wash a car and it will remove about 80% of the dirt. The only thing that will remain on the car will be bonded dirt and contaminants. You might get some water spots but you can always remove those when you do a proper wash.

ONR is great when the car is dusty or has VERY LIGHT dirt on it. What you are describing sounds too dirty for ONR.

I would avoid the car cover completelly. They can be ok on garage queens that are covered when the car is completelly clean and protected. But in your situation you will damage the paint for sure.

I disagree with your ONR assessment, you can use it as a rinseless wash on some seriously dirty cars and it's very safe. It's a much better alternative than mineral deposits from a pressure washer which will etch the paint over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarkD51
05-30-2017, 08:09 AM
I have owned the Covercraft NOAH, was the first cover I bought for my '97 Tahoe pictured in my Avatar.

While it isn't one of Covercraft's most durable covers, and I was disappointed in it in that regard, it is one of their more "paint friendly" covers with a soft nap.

The two basic ways a Car Cover will considerably mar the paint is if you haphazardly drag the cover over dusty-dirty paint, or the cover is dirty,or that high winds cause rubbing of the cover and grind-rub trapped dusts-dirts upon the paint.

I myself was getting some marring in strategic areas, and it was usually at where at seams were on the car cover. This marring was also being enhanced by only firstly using waxes, and sealants that did not protect the paint as well against marring.

Once I switched over to a Paint Coating, Carpro CQuartz UK, the slight marring issue I was seeing was considerably lessened to virtual zero from the rock hard protection this coating provided.

I'm living in a horribly dusty, and often windy climate here in the desert. But being around a busy construction site can probably be just as bad, if not worse. Depends upon the types of dusts-dirts I imagine.

A Cover will protect against things that by sitting naked, won't have such protection. Things such as Bird Bombs, and while no cover can protect against large Hail, it will lessen any possible damages, and help against smaller sized hail damaging panels.

For sure, some tips are, you of course never re-install a cover back onto a dirty vehicle. And as well, the NOAH will get dirty quickly, and the cleaner you can keep that cover with periodic washings, the better.

Be careful to follow directions with the NOAH, it cannot be machine dried, only air dried. They usually can be mostly dried by hanging, and then even slightly damp can be re-installed upon the vehicle to final dry. And it doesn't take long, commonly a 1/2 hour or so and it's then bone dry.

jay23ls
05-30-2017, 04:25 PM

I'm not planning on doing the ONR wash if the car is really dirty. It gets like that when more than like 7-9 days have passed.

If the car is really dirty, like right now I will:

Spray ONR on the whole car (small sports car luckily) wait a minute or two and then use the jet setting w/ the hose. Follow with foam and usual wash

If its not that dirty say its been 3-4 days since the last wash I will use ONR as directed. I kinda see the ONR as a "dusting" but much better bc dusters definitely scratch even if only lightly. Since the car is small this doesnt seem like too much of a hassle.

jay23ls
05-30-2017, 04:30 PM
I have owned the Covercraft NOAH, was the first cover I bought for my '97 Tahoe pictured in my Avatar.

While it isn't one of Covercraft's most durable covers, and I was disappointed in it in that regard, it is one of their more "paint friendly" covers with a soft nap.

The two basic ways a Car Cover will considerably mar the paint is if you haphazardly drag the cover over dusty-dirty paint, or the cover is dirty,or that high winds cause rubbing of the cover and grind-rub trapped dusts-dirts upon the paint.

I myself was getting some marring in strategic areas, and it was usually at where at seams were on the car cover. This marring was also being enhanced by only firstly using waxes, and sealants that did not protect the paint as well against marring.

Once I switched over to a Paint Coating, Carpro CQuartz UK, the slight marring issue I was seeing was considerably lessened to virtual zero from the rock hard protection this coating provided.

I'm living in a horribly dusty, and often windy climate here in the desert. But being around a busy construction site can probably be just as bad, if not worse. Depends upon the types of dusts-dirts I imagine.

A Cover will protect against things that by sitting naked, won't have such protection. Things such as Bird Bombs, and while no cover can protect against large Hail, it will lessen any possible damages, and help against smaller sized hail damaging panels.

For sure, some tips are, you of course never re-install a cover back onto a dirty vehicle. And as well, the NOAH will get dirty quickly, and the cleaner you can keep that cover with periodic washings, the better.

Be careful to follow directions with the NOAH, it cannot be machine dried, only air dried. They usually can be mostly dried by hanging, and then even slightly damp can be re-installed upon the vehicle to final dry. And it doesn't take long, commonly a 1/2 hour or so and it's then bone dry.

I appreciate the advice. I honestly do just want to use a cover and just wash the car every 2 weeks. I think removing the cover that often or whenever its even a little windy will keep the paint from getting damaged.

I think I will hold on to the cover and try it once I get a ceramic coating on the paint. You just described what I thought would be the case w/ a cover and a good coating. I'd still remove the cover often and wash. I mean it will happen since I'm gonna drive the car :hotrod2:

MarkD51
05-30-2017, 06:27 PM
My findings with, or without a cover on my beloved 20 year old Tahoe is this.

That even with the high winds, and what I've noted here living in this harsh Desert Southwest:

A good cover is considerably better at protecting my SUV than no cover at all.

My current Cover is the Covercraft Weathershield HD, and it is great, a much tougher, more durable cover than the NOAH, but not quite as paint friendly.

Still, when I lift the cover to inspect, my Tahoe only has a slight smidgen of dust, the Headlights, and Tail Lights, and all other marker lenses which I replaced entirely with new are staying like new because of shielding from the sun's UV and literal sand blasting from the high winds and wicked dusts we have here.

All I now use, is a security Cable so that the Cover cannot be easily stolen, nothing more. and it stays in place with 40-45mph winds.

This cover has also proven to be a better waterproof cover than the NOAH. The NOAH seemed to lose that quality quite quickly, but is still acceptable for a part time cover that won't see too much use and abuse.

If in any case, the cover tears, Covercraft can send you material to patch. They did with myself, when the cover started disintegrating, and falling apart.

If you cannot sew, any good Upholstery Shop can do such minor repairs to it.

rlmccarty2000
05-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Use a cover! Wash and dry the car and put on the cover. Peel the cover back, don't just yank it off. I used a cover for years on an old Cadillac that sat outside and only got driven every other week. The cover kept the dirt off and especially the pecan tree sap that turned to glue when wet. Just use common sense with the cover and it will be fine. Use the ONR after you remove the cover and right before you put the cover on and all will be right with the world.

MarkD51
05-30-2017, 06:55 PM
Other tips with the NOAH. Do not use any fancy fabric protectants like Aerospace 303, or such. This cover is some form of synthetic, said to be a triple ply, it breathes, and will dry fairly fast when wet. Fast enough that it won't cause paint damage even when soaked.

And also, don't think you can apply a iron on patch to fix tears-rips, I found out the hard way, the cover melted upon contact with an iron! And then I had a much larger damage to address and fix.

The cover's outside when looking grungy can simply be hosed down with a garden hose while on the vehicle. But that doesn't address the insides of the cover, up against the paint.