PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a SMC (sheet moulding compound) vehicle ??

howardm4
05-29-2017, 02:16 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new car and its body is all SMC (sheet moulding compound), which is a variation on fiberglass.

Is there anything different about the tools/lotions or techniques for this material vs. standard?

Do I have to get any specific information from the manufacturer regarding what they used?

Also, what do you all do regarding 'cleaning' or detailing a vehicle that has a good amount of clearfilm car bra on?

RTexasF
05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Although I have no idea what you are talking about I'm responding to keep this on the top. I am curious to find out what it is and how to deal with it.

kkritsilas
05-29-2017, 05:55 PM
I think the first place to start is to find out if standard automotive paint is used to paint over the SMC. If it is, then the standard processes should be fine. If it is special paint, then you would need to ask/find out what type of paint was used.

Corvettes are made of fiberglass, and standard techniques and products (polishes, pads, LSPs microfiber towels, and polishers) work fine.

FUNX650
05-29-2017, 07:46 PM
I think the first place to start is to
find out if standard automotive paint
is used to paint over the SMC.

Corvettes are made of fiberglass...
Newer Corvettes:
-have panels made from SMC
(and some from Carbon Fiber)
-have your typical GM BC/CC paint
(on which regular detailing supplies,
tools, products are compatible).

Wonder what vehicle the OP has...?

Bob

trippmann
05-29-2017, 07:49 PM
most likely a standard BC/CC system as mentioned above. Just keep in mind that materials other than metal have different heat dispersion abilities. This is to say that when buffing on abs/fiberglass/carbonfiber the body material cannot dissipate heat as quickly and makes burning or twisting the paint much easier to do. Just keep this in mind and youll do fine!