PDA

View Full Version : ONR and leaf blower ?

coolmoon
12-04-2007, 06:55 PM
ONR question ? Just wanted to get everyone's opinion after the first wash with the mitt instead of drying right after, blowing off excess water and then polishing with the MF just to save the amount of towels you will use after becoming saturated with water. what do you all think?

Bonifax
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I guess it would be ok because ONR leaves a slick surface so you'd probably remove all the water by using the blower.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Don't if it will work very well.. something tells me it wont work as good as wiping

BUT it does seem like it would be 5x's more effort as opposed to just wiping it.

Gary Sword
12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I use a leaf blower and MF towels to dry my cars off. When you done drying the car the MF is only damp. Less rubbing on the paint and it gets the water out of the cracks you can't reach with a towel. A leaf blower really work great on wheels too.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I use a leaf blower and MF towels to dry my cars off. When you done drying the car the MF is only damp. Less rubbing on the paint and it gets the water out of the cracks you can't reach with a towel.

As do I but, the OP is asking about using a blower for ONR wash...

I will say it does sound interesting... give it a shot and let us know!!

budman3
12-04-2007, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't suggest it ... if ONR dries on the surface it'll be a mess!

I use 2 WW towels when rinseless washing. One lead towel that wipes off the large amount of water and one follow up towel that stays fairly dry to dry the paint the rest of the way.

Rsurfer
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't suggest it ... if ONR dries on the surface it'll be a mess!

I use 2 WW towels when rinseless washing. One lead towel that wipes off the large amount of water and one follow up towel that stays fairly dry to dry the paint the rest of the way.I beleive if you use a leaf blower to get the heavy water and water trapped in the crackes out and then do a wipe down it will be fine. Done this many times with no problems.

budman3
12-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding something but when I do a rinseless wash, there isn't a ton of water left on the paint. That being said, that is more likely to dry faster than a lot of water. Mind you I use a sea sponge, which probably absorbs a lot more water than say a sheepskin. If I were to go around a whole vehicle using ONR it would take 1/2 probably. In that time the ONR solution would probably dry on the surface. It'd be fine to let water dry but not a rinseless wash solution. I accidently left 2 beads of QEW and water solution dry on the paint and it deposited a very nasty waterspot that wasn't easily removed. Maybe I'm just paranoid but the sooner I wipe off ONR the better ... this is our paint we are talking about :).

lgtspecb
12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I just ordered my ONR yesterday, talk of wiping, streaking and spotting scare me. I never dry the car by wiping, I do a hose flush, followed by blotting the top panels, and blow dry with the vac n blow. I usually then do a AW application wiping very gently with my softest mf qd towels.

If having ONR left on the surface is that risky, wouldn't it be better to blow it off and blot it up so it is out of crevices and doesn't creep back onto the paint?

budman3
12-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Well I guess doing it one panel at a time may work ... but I think it would be a big hassle, I've never been a fan of leaf blowers...

ONR isn't like acid or anything but I treat it as such, you can never be too careful, right? I haven't had any issues with water in cracks and crevices because there simply isn't enough water to get trapped in there. I'm sure everyone has a different technique with ONR and some probably use more water than others as well. Maybe someone can do an experiment on a beater with ONR and let it dry on the paint (with dirty ONR solution) to see what happens?

ehuth1
12-04-2007, 09:52 PM
When drying ONR with towels it's like putting on QD, the polymers began to lay down. So I would hold off on the leaf blower unless your doing a traditional wash.

lgtspecb
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Well I guess doing it one panel at a time may work ... but I think it would be a big hassle, I've never been a fan of leaf blowers...

ONR isn't like acid or anything but I treat it as such, you can never be too careful, right? I haven't had any issues with water in cracks and crevices because there simply isn't enough water to get trapped in there. I'm sure everyone has a different technique with ONR and some probably use more water than others as well. Maybe someone can do an experiment on a beater with ONR and let it dry on the paint (with dirty ONR solution) to see what happens?
I meant after doing a normal ONR, chasing it up with the blower to get all traces off the car and out of the crevices. Since I have never done ONR yet I guess I don't really know, but sounds like you are saying there is not enough water to cause a concern as long as you dry the panels.

coolmoon
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
just blowing off the top and crevices to remove some of the excess water ,not really all of it like a traditional wash, sides of course rolls off,but as far as the polymers I usually I finish with a QD to touch up . So I am going to give the blower a try

Rsurfer
12-05-2007, 01:56 PM
just blowing off the top and crevices to remove some of the excess water ,not really all of it like a traditional wash, sides of course rolls off,but as far as the polymers I usually I finish with a QD to touch up . So I am going to give the blower a try:iagree::whs: