PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on cleaning really dirty carpets with pictures!

Pages : [1] 2

RMarkJr
05-28-2017, 02:31 AM
Ok, so I got a car that I am doing and the carpets are really dirty.. like bad. I have done half of the floor mat, the passenger side, and half of the first back row.

Now they are coming out a lot better than what they were, but I am noticing that there is stuff left behind and wanted to see if someone knew of perhaps a better way to get this all out. I know not everything is going to come out .. but I would like to get it as good as possible.

So the things I have:
Folex (been mainly using)
Fabric Clean by CCG(used in a bucket of water with a brush over the folex in some spots)
APC
Super Degreaser (havent used it yet)
Steamer (havent tried it yet)
Drill with scrub brush atachment (used the hell out of this!)
hand brush
towels
shop vac

Here is what I did on the floor mat and the passenger side carpet. I pretty well saturated it with folex, Used the Drill brush to agitate it, used the shop vac to suck up any suds and some moisture, then used a towel to go over the rest of it. Worked ok .. but as you can see in the picture there is a bit of red (I know hard to get out) also a light brown area as well.

The passenger side floor board I saturated with folex, scrubbed a bit, put the fabric clean solution on the carpet using the brush until it was pretty wet, used the drill brush to srub the heck out io it, used the shop vac to suck up dirt and water, then went over it with a terry towel.

The big thing I am not happy with is in the picture of the backseat area along the door sdie you can clearly see a line that is a different color and to the left of that a brownish spot.

Maybe there is something better to be doing. APC with a steamer? Folex with a steamer? Folex first with towel and then the rest of the carpet??

I havent used the steamer yet because of the heat and I thought the heat would set the stain .. same with APC or Super Degreaser.

And we do not know what the stains are ... I asked.

Maybe its just me but I think they could be better.. but then again maybe this is good? I dont know. I do know that after I got to this point there was no more dirt showing up on the towel at all.

Thanks for any help!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/rmarkjr/20170527_125448_zpsi9syotnt.jpg~original

Before backseat Floor
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/rmarkjr/20170527_174844_zpsfrlmfjtc.jpg~original

After backseat floor
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/rmarkjr/20170527_173404_zpsiv8kh5wg.jpg~original

mwoywod
05-28-2017, 02:41 AM
Personally, I prespot the worst areas with 3D Orange Degreaser at 4:1

RMarkJr
05-28-2017, 02:44 AM
Personally, I prespot the worst areas with 3D Orange Degreaser at 4:1

ok. Do you have any luck with red stains like that?

and do you think that sets stains? I have heard that degreaser can set stains, maybe depending on what they are.

When you prespot...do you get that spot up first and then do the rest of the carpet? or do you just pre-spot and then put the other product right over it and clean the whole thing?

Eldorado2k
05-28-2017, 03:53 AM
Oh man, those red stains look so familiar... It looks like a nightmare situation I ran into, and let me tell you I nearly had to get FelipeTV on that carpet.

Eldorado2k
05-28-2017, 04:14 AM
Oh man, those red stains look so familiar... It looks like a nightmare situation I ran into, and let me tell you I nearly had to get FelipeTV style on that carpet. I just about did..

Before:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170528/1fb73343afae485e63b4795202d2a046.jpg

After:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170528/7cc8e667c670b98bc314937b07800ce8.jpg

I was ambushed. But regardless, I must admit I don't consider that job a victory. It was actually even worse on the right side as the stains were in the same area as your pix. The red simply wouldn't stop coming up and I just called it after a while at "improved"

It wasn't until the next day when I searched and found Felipe's vid.. And I truly believe that's the only way it would've came that clean.

I saw a few days ago over on the sister site that there was a thread trying to make fun of him and his methods.. It quikly went from the main topic straight into that same vid I'm referring to... Honestly it kind of ticked me off a bit to hear people try and talk smack when they're not the ones knocking it out... Oh yea "they'd never even take a job like that"
Yea yea... You're too good and this and that... mhm.

The dude [PelipeTV] says plenty of times he owns a an extractor that he paid 2k for but none of his guys like to use it + they get better resuts doing it the way they do it.

And as far as extractors, I'm not sure if you're familiar with another dudes vids, I think his name is Charro if I remember correctly... That dude is amazing. He makes vids using his extractor and they gotta be the most impressive extractor vids on the internet, because his comments are littered with people trying to be nice and kiss his butt while practically begging to know what he uses as his pre treatment. It's absolutely hilarious.
I've got a hunch on why he respectfully avoids that specific question, and I don't blame him. Besides they could very easily be trying to talk crap about him too, but they can't because he does things with the extractor that you wish an extractor could do. Lol.

Rant over.

GSKR
05-28-2017, 06:41 AM
If you really want a good outcome using steam with a professional traffic lane cleaner or see if there is a tradesman carpet cleaning supply store.After steam extract.

RMarkJr
05-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Oh man, those red stains look so familiar... It looks like a nightmare situation I ran into, and let me tell you I nearly had to get FelipeTV style on that carpet. I just about did..

Before:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170528/1fb73343afae485e63b4795202d2a046.jpg

After:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170528/7cc8e667c670b98bc314937b07800ce8.jpg

I was ambushed. But regardless, I must admit I don't consider that job a victory. It was actually even worse on the right side as the stains were in the same area as your pix. The red simply wouldn't stop coming up and I just called it after a while at "improved"

It wasn't until the next day when I searched and found Felipe's vid.. And I truly believe that's the only way it would've came that clean.

I saw a few days ago over on the sister site that there was a thread trying to make fun of him and his methods.. It quikly went from the main topic straight into that same vid I'm referring to... Honestly it kind of ticked me off a bit to hear people try and talk smack when they're not the ones knocking it out... Oh yea "they'd never even take a job like that"
Yea yea... You're too good and this and that... mhm.

The dude [PelipeTV] says plenty of times he owns a an extractor that he paid 2k for but none of his guys like to use it + they get better resuts doing it the way they do it.

And as far as extractors, I'm not sure if you're familiar with another dudes vids, I think his name is Charro if I remember correctly... That dude is amazing. He makes vids using his extractor and they gotta be the most impressive extractor vids on the internet, because his comments are littered with people trying to be nice and kiss his butt while practically begging to know what he uses as his pre treatment. It's absolutely hilarious.
I've got a hunch on why he respectfully avoids that specific question, and I don't blame him. Besides they could very easily be trying to talk crap about him too, but they can't because he does things with the extractor that you wish an extractor could do. Lol.

Rant over.

ya I have seen a lot of his videos

man they look like carpet gets way too wet though. Id be worried about mold or something.

mwoywod
05-28-2017, 12:40 PM
ok. Do you have any luck with red stains like that?

and do you think that sets stains? I have heard that degreaser can set stains, maybe depending on what they are.

When you prespot...do you get that spot up first and then do the rest of the carpet? or do you just pre-spot and then put the other product right over it and clean the whole thing?

I should have elaborated, I use 3D orange degreaser 4:1 to pretreat extreme dirt, and it's especially effective on oil and grease based stains. When deemed necessary, I will pretreat an area (I don't overly saturate the carpet fibers when I pretreat) the organic solvents are effective enough that I can just mist the bad areas then I can spray the rest of the carpet with 3D carpet and upholstery shampoo (directly over the areas that were pretreated) and proceed to scrub the carpets with the softest nylon brush I own. Now that I look at those red stains I imagine this method wouldn't be nearly as effective as if it were grease, oil, grime based.

dcjredline
05-28-2017, 05:09 PM
Id say you got at least 75% of the way with whatever method you used. That last 25% is going to be much harder and Im not sure even an extractor is going to get that out completely. Those stains look set in to me already. Sometimes a stain is just that STAINED and other than Dye there is no way to get it to go away.

MattPersman
05-29-2017, 06:14 AM
Many production shops dye the carpet after that level of clean to have better visual results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneheadlite
05-29-2017, 10:48 AM
I have to chime in on the video from the sister site- my biggest judgement against his approach was pouring so much liquid into the carpet you could see standing fluid while he was scrubbing. I have to view this through technician eyes, where I know how many control modules (transmission, body, phone, etc) live under the carpet of the cars I work on. Not even factoring in wire splices and connectors that generally aren't sealed, as inside the car wasn't designed to deal with that much liquid.
Then there's knowing how long the foam under the carpet takes to dry out when I've dealt with cars that stalled out in deep puddles or had a leaky windshield/etc. In those cases, the carpet is propped up to get airflow above and below, and it can still take days.

Just my 2¢

RMarkJr
05-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Ok so the guy just picked it up and said it looks really good! Ended up charging 250 .. plus a little tip.

Looking back on it I probably should have charged 300 for it as it took me longer than I thought it would. But Being new at the business/charging aspect of it well I guess that a learning deal there.

But I did find something interesting on the carpet. Even though I scrubbed the heck out of it with a drill brush using folex and some APC, vacuumed, and went over with a towel till there was nothing left on the towel at all.

I could still remove some with my steamer .. but I had to just be the tip of the wand with no brush. If I used a brush It didnt really do anything .. but without it some of those lighter brown spots still came up. I thought that was kinda weird how it didn't work like that with the brush attachment on the steamer.

ended up using two gallons of folex on the whole thing and a 32oz bottle of APC.

RMarkJr
05-29-2017, 10:55 AM
I have to chime in on the video from the sister site- my biggest judgement against his approach was pouring so much liquid into the carpet you could see standing fluid while he was scrubbing. I have to view this through technician eyes, where I know how many control modules (transmission, body, phone, etc) live under the carpet of the cars I work on. Not even factoring in wire splices and connectors that generally aren't sealed, as inside the car wasn't designed to deal with that much liquid.
Then there's knowing how long the foam under the carpet takes to dry out when I've dealt with cars that stalled out in deep puddles or had a leaky windshield/etc. In those cases, the carpet is propped up to get airflow above and below, and it can still take days.

Just my 2¢

ya thats what I thought with his videos too. Now I didnt get the carpets that wet .. buuut I did get them wetter than I wanted to... hounded with folex and then used a whell brush to drizzle water with fabric clean onto the carpet.... it sudded up a lot and it did kinda pile into the low spots in the carpet like where the seat rack hit the carpet.

However with all of that after vaumming it and going over with a towel. It actually dried within about 4 hours or so in the sun with the doors open.

the floor mats that I ended p up pressure washing .. those did not dry in 6 hours lol

briarpatch
05-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Oh man, those red stains look so familiar... It looks like a nightmare situation I ran into, and let me tell you I nearly had to get FelipeTV on that carpet.

now, that's funny right there

True North
05-29-2017, 04:35 PM

I can't seem to find Charro or FelipeTV, links please.