PDA

View Full Version : Detailing when on duty (first responders)?

Emt1581
05-27-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm a volunteer EMT. For years I've used one of my weekly duty nights to get car work done at the station. This includes oil changes, repairs, swapping wheels, and washing. Since buying my new car I've been using time to wash and then leaf blower the car dry. Snuck a wax in a few weeks back. But I got lucky. No calls went off when I was applying it or else it would have sat in the garage covered in wax for 1-2 hours and if it was a fire call, could have been 3hrs+.

Now once my order arrives from Chemical Guys I plan on stripping off the wax I put on with the citrus wash, blowing it dry, sealing on top of the clear coat, and then waxing on top of that. I estimate that'll take me 4-6 hours accounting for interruptions. I've seen people say to work panel by panel, but I've never had much luck limiting water/wax to just one panel. There's always been over spray. With any of the CG products, is there going to be any damage done if they are left on the car for an hour or two?

The products in question are...

Citrus Wash
Jet Seal
Quick Detailer
TVD
Inner Clean

and then Collinite 845 for wax.

EDIT: I should add that I'd have between 30 seconds and 1 minute to do whatever before having to drop everything and get in the truck. Not sure if that helps.

Any other advice for leaving flexibility to pause the job other than trying to go panel by panel?

Thanks

-Emt1581

PaulMys
05-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Can't speak for any of your other products, but I am big 845 fan. You can leave it on for 2 days and it will easily remove.

GSKR
05-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Collinite also ditch the jetseal.

Tempest45
05-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Optiseal is the way to go for such short notice occasions. N914 at high strength to clean a panel at a time with optiseal as a drying aid.

Emt1581
05-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Optiseal is the way to go for such short notice occasions. N914 at high strength to clean a panel at a time with optiseal as a drying aid.

Opti seal is an idea.

Thanks

-Emt1581

idriveblackcars
05-28-2017, 11:26 AM
You will not have any issues leaving those products on the car. Jetseal is very forgiving and lasts a long time.

idriveblackcars
05-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Collinite also ditch the jetseal.

Ehh I completely disagree and I don't even use Jetseal any longer. It blows away collinite in so many ways. After a month or so collinite looks like crap. I'm always shocked people like it so much.

Emt1581
05-28-2017, 11:31 AM
Ehh I completely disagree and I don't even use Jetseal any longer. It blows away collinite in so many ways. After a month or so collinite looks like crap. I'm always shocked people like it so much.

I'm confused. I thought Collinite was a wax and Jet Seal was a seal....no?

My thinking was, even after a month, since the Collinite would be on top of the Jet Seal, just reapply. Or do you have to strip it off which strips off the Jet Seal to?

Thanks

-Emt1581

idriveblackcars
05-28-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm confused. I thought Collinite was a wax and Jet Seal was a seal....no?

My thinking was, even after a month, since the Collinite would be on top of the Jet Seal, just reapply. Or do you have to strip it off which strips off the Jet Seal to?

Thanks

-Emt1581

No confusion, you have it right. Jetseal first topped with collinite works just fine. Actually it will last a long time. I was only responding to the dump Jetseal lol.

Eric@CherryOnTop
05-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Rinseless washes, if you get interrupted just throw a lid on the bucket and pick up where you left off later.

Emt1581
05-28-2017, 06:38 PM
No confusion, you have it right. Jetseal first topped with collinite works just fine. Actually it will last a long time. I was only responding to the dump Jetseal lol.

Oh ok. Yeah, I wanted to know where the comment came from since I spent the last week or two asking for feedback and not a peep out of anyone saying not to get Jet Seal.

Back to what you and I were talking about....is it that simple? If the Collinite starts looking shitty, just wash, dry, and apply another coat? Or do I have to strip the Collonite and Jet Seal off an re-apply both?

Thanks

-Emt1581