PDA

View Full Version : Hose and nozzle preference?

Pages : [1] 2

budman3
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I am just curious to see what everyone is using as a hose and nozzle for car washes?

At home I have been using an old garden hose that is beginning to act up, crack, and be a pain in the you know what. I also use a cheap WalMart fire hose nozzle that is nice but again, cheap. So I'm probably going to be in the market to upgrade these come spring time.

So, what's your preferences when it comes to washing media?

Thanks!

:D

THENIZZZEIL
12-04-2007, 02:56 PM
i use this silver/blue hose, its got alot of threading u can see-through...its really tough and doesnt pinch...i also use a firehose nozzle

AL417
12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Here's a link to a thread about hoses. I have a 100' Craftsman black hose with a Fireman's nozzle and brass connectors for quick changes between my nozzle and foam gun. Works great with zero problems.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/3529-water-hose.html

lethalxls1
12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
^ The brass "quick connect" fittings sold on AG are a great! I actually need to buy one more soon.

budman3
12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Brass quick disconnects will be in my future, that's for sure. I don't own a foam gun but it'll still make flooding a lot easier... just pop off the nozzle and there ya go. Thanks for the link Al, that was posted before I started coming on AG regularly.

Jimmie
12-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's a link to a thread about hoses. I have a 100' Craftsman black hose with a Fireman's nozzle and brass connectors for quick changes between my nozzle and foam gun. Works great with zero problems.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/detailing-forum/3529-water-hose.html

:iagree: identical set up here. Love the Craftsman rubber hose (black). I just got another for the back yard. Put hose quick connects on both. Plus, put the brass on/off on both.

2KLS1
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Nothing fancy. Regular garden hose, don't know the brand my dad bought it a while back. For a nozzle I have one of those pistol shaped ones with 7 settings that you get at the garden store for like $7. Its all I need really.

oldmodman
12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I installed a special hose bib in my front yard before the pressure reducer, just for using while washing cars. That gives me 115 psi. The house only gets 45 psi.

As a hose I have two 50ft all rubber 3/4 in hoses with the AG brass fittings on the end.

I do the initial rinse and wash with plain hose water, then I use the quick connects to run my water filter in line. When using the filter I turn the pressure way down so I only get about a gallon a minute. The filtered water makes it much easier to dry the car before there is any chance of water spotting, even in the sun.

I am using the same "fire hose nozzle" that most everyone else uses.

In case anyone wonders, I have a five gallon soap bucket with two grit guards, and I use a micro fiber towel as a wash rag. I have never liked mitts.

barryscott
12-05-2007, 02:22 AM
I do the initial rinse and wash with plain hose water, then I use the quick connects to run my water filter in line. When using the filter I turn the pressure way down so I only get about a gallon a minute. The filtered water makes it much easier to dry the car before there is any chance of water spotting, even in the sun.
quote]

Hey Oldmodman:
The filter you are using, is this the one from AG? Been thinking of trying this out. Very hard water here. TIA

YankeeFan
12-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I installed a special hose bib in my front yard before the pressure reducer, just for using while washing cars. That gives me 115 psi. The house only gets 45 psi.

Can you please give a link or a name as I would love to get the pressure up outside the house especially when watering my lawn with 2 or 3 sprinklers at the same time. Don't know what a "pressure reducer" is and what to look for to buy.

Howard

cwcad
12-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Since washing is the least favorite part of my detail regimine I still use an old hose and hand sprayer from the old days. I soak the car with the hand sprayer. Attach my Gilmore gun to soap each area and use a solid stream of water from the hose to rinse the car.

It would be nice to have the brass quick connect fittings but my penchant for MF towels keeps me broke so I live with the old stuff.

killrflake
12-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I bought a black rubber hose at another site (sorry) several years ago and also have a firehose nozzle. Next spring I might make the move to a soap gun. All those suds sure look great.

ScottB
12-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I use a Dramm 300 and the foam gun without the gun attachment.

dontsleeponit
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I use a Dramm 300 and the foam gun without the gun attachment.

Killr, that dram 300 is the brass shutoff valve, you hook the foam section of the foam gun straight up to this with a quick connect?

Im assuming you do this so you can detatch the foam part and use the hose to flood, but I have a brass shutoff I was using and it increased the pressure at the tip so flooding didnt work so well anymore. Does this happen with the dramm 300?

I might have worded that a little confusing.

mixxer
12-05-2007, 08:10 PM
foam gun set up then quick disconnect for flooding.