PDA

View Full Version : White dust sticking to paint daily

Bbonachea
05-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Good morning,

Hope that I can get some help; I have recently started accumulating a strange white dust on my black car that doesn't go away during wash, it has a very hard texture to it as well. I detailed my car yesterday to see if it would not come back.....but the very next day my car was covered again.

Steps I took when detailing:

2 bucket wash with foam cannon
Clay bar
M205
Powerlock

If anyone has any insight on this strange dust I would appreciate it. Unfortunately my place of work doesn't allow me to have a camera so I don't have a device to take a photo with at this time.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Desertnate
05-26-2017, 08:38 AM
That sounds more like paint overspray than dust. Is there somewhere along your commute or near your workplace/home that's doing some exterior spray painting?

If washing doesn't remove it, I'd claybar the area and see where that gets you.

Bbonachea
05-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Not that I know of, it's been happening consistently for the past few weeks. As soon as I clay my car and it's smooth, bam the next day it's covered in this crap.

cleanmycorolla
05-26-2017, 12:38 PM
where do you live?

Bbonachea
05-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Washington State near an industrial area, but it just started happening recently. Just wondering if anyone has experience with such "dust" or chalk it up to finding a new parking spot haha. Thanks for the feedback.

AZpolisher15
05-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Tree sap drifting from a nearby source? Or a sappy pollen?

Bbonachea
05-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Well I noticed all the other cars are also covered in the mysterious dust. Really odd, have never had this happen before. Well, I will clay the car as normal and just hope it goes away in a month or so....just frustrating because it's nice out now and my car should be looking good, not rough with white specs all the time!

I appreciate all the input fellas

AZpolisher15
05-26-2017, 07:15 PM
'Tis the sappy/pollen season. It's surprising how far it can drift. And it even comes from trees/plants you wouldn't suspect and at times you wouldn't suspect. If you take a white tissue or terry towel and VERY gently wipe a small, inconspicuous spot (so as not to mar the paint), you might get a better idea of the color. My guess is that it'll have a yellow/brown hue when bunched up.

Bbonachea
05-26-2017, 07:25 PM
It's definitely white and deep in the paint. I had to use compound to get it out (and it's not even mostly out). Clay bar didn't touch it