PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference in terrycloth quality?

SRider
05-24-2017, 11:50 AM
I have a 92 Mustang convertible with single stage red paint. I hate to say I've neglected it for the last 7 or 8 years and it has developed oxidation. I'm following Mike's procedure for using #7 to condition the paint. I started with microfiber towels since that is all I have and it really didn't remove as much of the oxidation as I thought it would. I know Mike recommends using cotton terrycloth since it is more aggressive but I'm not sure what to get. I do have some of the Griots cotton polish pads but I don't think my hands could survive using those for the entire car. I have been looking around for either cotton wash cloths or terrycloth towels but nothing seems to be what I'm expecting. All of the wash cloths have a stripe or pattern sewn into them and all the terrycloth I have found has been thin. Thin enough that I can see my hand through it. I don't want to pick out something that could create scratches since the paint does not have many swirl marks right now. It is original paint and I want to keep it as original as possible. I don't know how thick the paint is so I'm not planning on polishing it at this point. I'm sure I'm overthinking this but I was looking for a terrycloth towel that is similar to the terrycloth bonnets I've purchased in the past. Is all terrycloth the same as long as it is 100% cotton? Does it matter if the terrycloth is thin? Can anyone recommend a quality cloth to use?