PDA

View Full Version : Glass specific towels question for you guys

Pages : [1] 2

buddiiee
05-24-2017, 06:10 AM
I received a few towels made specifically for glass as presents a few years back and I must say they work pretty good. They're those towels you see that have no nap, and are kind of shiny in a way. But from what I read on here, I'm seeing that most use a white waffle micro fiber for their glass, and since you guys know a little more on this subject than I do, I just automatically assume I'm wrong lol.
Am I to assume that white towels are better in general because they're not dyed, so there's no chance of this dye shedding later on in it's life?
And are the towels I'm talking about old technology and obsolete now? I ask because I don't see them for sale on here, nor do I see anyone mentioning them in threads any longer. Please advise.

Setec Astronomy
05-24-2017, 06:21 AM
No one mentions them because they aren't sold here. If you go over to the sister site there is a current (favorable) review of that type of towel.

I really don't like those flat, shiny ones...but then I really can't find a towel I like for glass.

Oh wait, they do have one of those flat towels here from Griot's: Griots Garage Glass Cleaning Cloths - 4 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-glass-cloths.html)

Flat-weave towels like this also work, but can still leave micro-lint: Sonus Der Wunder Microfiber Polishing Towels, wax removal cloths, car polish towels, detailing towels (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-polishing-towels.html)

Waffle weaves are a good compromise, also.

Desertnate
05-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Honestly, I like using paper towels when cleaning glass. A little Sprayway glass cleaner and a couple paper towels and I'm good. I seem to get better, more consistent results with paper towels than I do with MF. Not sure why.

Setec Astronomy
05-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Honestly, I like using paper towels when cleaning glass. A little Sprayway glass cleaner and a couple paper towels and I'm good. I seem to get better, more consistent results with paper towels than I do with MF. Not sure why.

I get lint with paper towels...maybe I need to change my brand. Griot's makes a disposable glass wipe that they don't sell here...it's a little small though.

wolfpacker92
05-24-2017, 07:46 AM
If you want to ensure no lint go with the surgical huck towels. I use these and work well, and they are what most window cleaners use in that profession from what I've read.

Setec Astronomy
05-24-2017, 07:50 AM
If you want to ensure no lint go with the surgical huck towels. I use these and work well, and they are what most window cleaners use in that profession from what I've read.

Yeah, they're pretty good...it's just then you wind up with a separate wash load to keep them away from your MF's.

wolfpacker92
05-24-2017, 07:53 AM
Yeah, they're pretty good...it's just then you wind up with a separate wash load to keep them away from your MF's.

Very true but if you buy them in bulk (they are pretty cheap then) you can go a while before needing to wash.

Setec Astronomy
05-24-2017, 07:55 AM
Very true but if you buy them in bulk (they are pretty cheap then) you can go a while before needing to wash.

I've got too many kinds of glass towels...I've got a half-dozen or so Hucks and some similar towels that someone gave me that I think are restaurant napkins, but I haven't used either of them in a while.

Eldorado2k
05-24-2017, 07:57 AM
Just get a squeegee..

Setec Astronomy
05-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Just get a squeegee..

That's tough on the inside of the windshield or back window...

Eldorado2k
05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
That's tough on the inside of the windshield or back window...

True, but I love my squeegee with extendable handle to knock out the windshield and rear exterior glass immediately after the final rinse of a bucket wash.. Before any water spots even get a chance to think about drying on the glass.

Once I'm done with everything else, the final thing I do is clean the glass by spraying glass cleaner onto a folded 30/70 waffle weave and quikly finish off all the glass inside and out.

fightnews
05-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Glass whooping towels work pretty good. I have them and the waffle weaves depending on my mood

Eldorado2k
05-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Glass whooping towels work pretty good. I have them and the waffle weaves depending on my mood

What's a whooping towel?

fightnews
05-24-2017, 10:40 AM
True, but I love my squeegee with extendable handle to knock out the windshield and rear exterior glass immediately after the final rinse of a bucket wash.. Before any water spots even get a chance to think about drying on the glass.

Once I'm done with everything else, the final thing I do is clean the glass by spraying glass cleaner onto a folded 30/70 waffle weave and quikly finish off all the glass inside and out.

I use a squeegee too, I just bought a nice one with a wooden handle. My last one broke

fightnews
05-24-2017, 10:42 AM
What's a whooping towel?

Actually it's "glass whooping towel" it's the type the op is referring to