PDA

View Full Version : Lake county 5.5 flat pads

Richs66
05-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Got a PC last week, seems like the 3 that came with wouldn"t get the job done, so I ordered 18 more today with cleaning brush. Was wondering any benefit to going to a 6" backing plate and going to bigger pads far as time wise, quality.

To end with a little humor, found away around the 2 bucket method , a lot of pollen on the car again, so I usually buy 4-5 mitts a year anyways, found a few more new ones from last year..........wife was helping me and said, I thought your supposed to use two buckets..........I said I don"t have time for 2 buckets, used a new mitt for every panel.........wife just shook her head. LOL

Rich

Bruno Soares
05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Smaller pads means more power from the machine transfers to the paint. 5.5" is what most use unless you have rotary or more powerful DAs to drive the larger pads. Flat pads are good. I prefer the ThinPro ones, less stalling and more power transferred.

VISITOR
05-22-2017, 08:38 PM
these work very well with pc-style DA's (as mentioned above) and you'll also need a 5" DA backing plate if you don't already have one...

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 5.5 Inch (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thinpro-5-inch.html)

dlc95
05-22-2017, 08:43 PM
If you do, get the 6" counter weight, or that thing will vibrate your bones loose.

The 6" counter weight can work with any size plate, but going the other way... You're in for a rough ride.

The PC can spin them though. What's nice is that they cover more area.

Personally, I'm adding a Rupes 21 legacy and re-adding a Flex 3401 to spin those larger pads.

PaulMys
05-22-2017, 09:00 PM
6" pads are too cumbersome. And this is from a full-sized truck owner. Even though I have a lot more surface area to cover, there are many (too many) little areas between body lines, hood contours, and emblems for me to justify a 6" pad. I mean, really.... How much time would be saved with only another 1/2" of pad (on either side) while sacrificing comfort and rotational ability?

5.5" pads are the only choice with a PC. IMO

Richs66
05-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Hey, thanks guys, I'm gonna stick with the 5.5 since I already ordered them, next batch when my wifey coughs up some money for me, I"ll get the thin ones........I got to quit watching those buffing vids, my god, it seems like everyone is prepping a new pad a different way.......oh boy. LOL

Just gonna keep reading stuff on the forum and hope the old boy learns something.

Rich

idriveblackcars
05-22-2017, 09:39 PM
When I use my PC I only use 3 pads. Megs flat micro fiber cutting pads, and LC flat white and or back pads. Those with a PC gets amazing results.