PDA

View Full Version : Toyota MR2 Red Oxidation Input.

PursuitDT
05-22-2017, 02:00 AM
Hey Guys/Gals.

I have a client who has a 91' Toyota MR2. 37,000 Original Miles.

However, the red is pretty severely oxidized over the entire car. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm dealing with but just to get a little more input would be very helpful before giving a final price based on how the oxidation will be removed.

I apologize I wasn't able to get the photos I wanted, this is the only one I have so far which is not the best angle.

Thanks.

Aaryn NZ
05-22-2017, 03:19 AM
Hey,

Very cool, what a great job. :xyxthumbs: First off I would check how much paint you have to work with, maybe you have a paint gauge, maybe you don't but if you don't, I would at least recommend borrowing one for this car.
Typically in my experience with Toyota single stage red, the paint will be soft, the need for a true compound usually isn't necessary & depending on how much paint you have - chasing any deeper swirls or scratches shouldn't be your aim.

Here is a link to a single stage red 97 Toyota Hilux I polished last week. Pretty oxidised but easily brung back the gloss with Megs M205.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/110159-happy-birthday-hilux-single-stage-red.html

Be sure to tape off any edges too, as usually the paint will be soft & normally pretty thin. Hope this helped some, post some pictures of the progress with this one yeah? Enjoy. :buffing:

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

GSKR
05-22-2017, 05:25 AM
I would do a test spot on the rear decklid that houses the engine that will be the worst part of the car

Mike Phillips
05-22-2017, 08:08 AM
I would do a test spot on the rear decklid that houses the engine that will be the worst part of the car

That's good advice.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Hey Guys/Gals.

I have a client who has a 91' Toyota MR2. 37,000 Original Miles.

However, the red is pretty severely oxidized over the entire car. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm dealing with but just to get a little more input would be very helpful before giving a final price based on how the oxidation will be removed.

I apologize I wasn't able to get the photos I wanted, this is the only one I have so far which is not the best angle.

Thanks.

Here's your picture uploaded to your free gallery here on AGO

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/MR2paint.jpg

Modern single stage paints like on this Toyota MR2 from my experience restore back really well.

I'd hit it with a compound and polish and then apply some #7 and then seal her up.

Most important - I would find out how the owners are going to wash the car after you do the detail as it is the washing process that will have the greatest affect on how long the results last after you've done your part. That and whether or not the car is going to sit out side all the time or be stored inside a garage.

PursuitDT
05-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Here's your picture uploaded to your free gallery here on AGO

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/MR2paint.jpg

Modern single stage paints like on this Toyota MR2 from my experience restore back really well.

I'd hit it with a compound and polish and then apply some #7 and then seal her up.

Most important - I would find out how the owners are going to wash the car after you do the detail as it is the washing process that will have the greatest affect on how long the results last after you've done your part. That and whether or not the car is going to sit out side all the time or be stored inside a garage.

Thank you for the input Mike. I'm using 3D products right now (cut/polish/speed), haven't found a really good sealant yet. I use Carpro Reload, but it doesn't seem to hold up well enough.
I'm looking forward to being able to bring this paint back to life! I gave the client a quote, so now I wait and see what they would like to do. They seem pretty ambitious to get it done. I am worried about their storage of the car though.

Right now it sits outside in the sun about 1/3 of the day, I'm hoping they will end up storing it correctly, being that is has only 37,000 original miles.
I'd like to get a maintenance wash agreement put together, but they will probably end up washing it themselves, I'll have to do my best to educate them to do it properly.

Thanks again Mike!

PursuitDT
05-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Hey,

Very cool, what a great job. :xyxthumbs: First off I would check how much paint you have to work with, maybe you have a paint gauge, maybe you don't but if you don't, I would at least recommend borrowing one for this car.
Typically in my experience with Toyota single stage red, the paint will be soft, the need for a true compound usually isn't necessary & depending on how much paint you have - chasing any deeper swirls or scratches shouldn't be your aim.

Here is a link to a single stage red 97 Toyota Hilux I polished last week. Pretty oxidised but easily brung back the gloss with Megs M205.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/110159-happy-birthday-hilux-single-stage-red.html

Be sure to tape off any edges too, as usually the paint will be soft & normally pretty thin. Hope this helped some, post some pictures of the progress with this one yeah? Enjoy. :buffing:

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

Thank you for the advice! Very nice Job on the Toyota Hilux by the way! That red really pops now!
I do plan on taping off the edges yes, especially since this year of toyota has soft paint. I plan on doing a test spot on the decklid to see the best approach for this particular setup.
I'm using 3D Products right now (cut/polish/speed), then using a quality grade sealant (once I find one).

I will absolutely post my progress once I hopefully get started! I gave the client a quote so now I wait and see what they would like to do!