PDA

View Full Version : Okay..its 1pm..just got done with iron x...question pls

Toolhead
05-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Based on schedule..i can nano skin clay....and then tomorrow wg swirl the 4runner...then back to workweek.

With plans to wf final glaze/polish then lsp this weekend.

Have other folks confort level with leaving their car unprotected for 1 week after 1st step of polishing....then following weekend..doing final polish then lsp?

Im summary....okay to clay ...wg swirl polish flex session....drive fir one week...then following weekend....final polish then lsp?

I did this with the camry a month ago and it turned out fine....

Thoughts?

Toolhead
05-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Btw mike p on target as usual...4runner less 6 months old..and bought several weeks after it landed from port....and this truck bled more purple than 2012 camry....

New cars definitely need ironx bath...no doubt

Mantilgh
05-20-2017, 01:11 PM
I would want something on it if you are going to be driving it.

Some protection from bird bomb and bug etching.

Rsurfer
05-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Based on schedule..i can nano skin clay....and then tomorrow wg swirl the 4runner...then back to workweek.

With plans to wf final glaze/polish then lsp this weekend.

Have other folks confort level with leaving their car unprotected for 1 week after 1st step of polishing....then following weekend..doing final polish then lsp?

Im summary....okay to clay ...wg swirl polish flex session....drive fir one week...then following weekend....final polish then lsp?

I did this with the camry a month ago and it turned out fine....

Thoughts?

Waiting a week is because of time constraints? If so, why not do 1/2 at a time and do a complete job. Like Mantilgh said, I would want some kind of protection after polishing.

MarkD51
05-20-2017, 02:13 PM
As you can see Toolhead, the boys here are very smart-wise, and very logical.

I agree with their game plan.

It's not easy getting through all the processes in one day, especially a truck-suv. Just not enough time, and often not enough energy-stamina.

andy0902
05-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Just finished 9 days of detailing my BMW 650iX GC. I was limited to after work and weekends. I divided the car up into sections and did wash, clay, compound, polish, paint prep and coating for a section at a time. Bigger sections on the weekend when I had more time and smaller areas during the week (like just one door.) It seemed like it took forever, but it is done and looks great. I felt that was a better plan.

Toolhead
05-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Tks guys...i went section at a time after dcking around for an hr on which way to go....the other meembers comments about the bird bombs..pushed me in that direction pretty quick...did hood and both front fenders..just wiped down witg wg perfekt prep and about to hand apply the wg dgps....late night

Toolhead
05-20-2017, 08:53 PM
I was looking for affirmation for the other option but knew it wasnt coming lol.
Just dropped the mf in the wash and looking firward to the roof tomorrow..goal is to nanoskin...wg swirlr wg final glaze
Wg dgps the roof and nanoskin and wg dgps the windows.

Also hopefully will ps21 carnuba the section i completed today..hood and front fenders..

This is forecasting to be a 5 day mess..not including interior.

Btw complete detail by section is more gratifying ...the hood and fenders are almost flawless...almost complete swirl removal...

PaulMys
05-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Never feel bad about doing your ride in sections. 90% of us aren't in the detail business, and/or don't have a garage.

Do what works with your own schedule. Just asking the questions you have asked proves you care about your investment more than most.

Continue reading here on AGO, and tweak your technique to fit your needs.

That's what I did. This forum is FULL of wonderful guys & gals that have incredible ideas and suggestions.

GSKR
05-21-2017, 05:59 AM
You will be fine its the ocd in you.just get it done next weekend.

RSW
05-21-2017, 07:26 AM
If I got this right, you're using Iron X first, then the nanoskin.

I do things a little differently. I wash and rinse the car. Then I re-soap with using a sprayer. Then, I use the nanoskin towel but I wrap it around a large sponge I've cut a diamond pattern into. The diamonds are about a half inch across and makes the sponge conform more easily to the surface. This also spreads the pressure over more surface and keeps the pressure more even so I seem to get a more consistent finish and because the area under the sponge is much larger than my hand - without the pressure points my hand makes - I get done with the decontamination much faster. I keep a bucket of clean water handy and rinse the towel often.

Then, I rinse and dry the car and apply my Iron X type product from spraying from the bottom up so fresh spray hits every part of the car. I go around and around making sure it stays wet until it's clean, clean. Then wash off the residue. Then start the correction.

My thinking is, if I knock off the top part of the contaminants with my nanoskin/sponge the Iron X can get to the rest, particularly the part that's eaten into paint more easily.

Anything I post is just how I do it. Your mileage will vary.

RSW