PDA

View Full Version : I don't have a rotary polisher---do I need one?

TMQ
05-17-2017, 07:23 AM
I may be offered a job that involves wet sanding and polishing out paint.

I have a Rupes mark II but don't own a rotary.

Do I need to get one?

Tom

davidc
05-17-2017, 08:04 AM
In my opinion, YES. There will be times you wish you had the option. Mine is when ever I do fiberglass/gelcoat or severe RIDS on paint. It definately makes things easier.

Dave

Mantilgh
05-17-2017, 08:18 AM
I only have limited experience with removing sanding marks, mostly in isolated areas and headlights, but I would think that the 21 with a good compound and microfiber, or heavy cut foam would do the job just fine.

This would also depend on what grit you are sanding too.

1500g would be some work and you would be better off with a rotary. 3000g should clean up pretty quick. 5000g and pretty much polishing at that point.

Paint hardness may play a role too.

LEDetailing
05-17-2017, 08:36 AM
I was amazed at the results I got removing 3000 grit sand marks with Rupes 15 II, Griots Boss MF cutting and Griots FCC. Before buying a rotary try MF cutting pads and a good cutting Compound.

FUNX650
05-17-2017, 08:39 AM
I've found the FLEX PE8 Rotary Polisher,
along with its accoutrements, to be
invaluable tools.

Bob

Paul A.
05-17-2017, 08:59 AM
A rotary makes quicker work of correcting sanding marks without a doubt. Do you NEED one? Not necessarily BUT you'll wish you had one. How much wetsanding are you expecting to do...a few scratches here and there or a large area?

TMQ
05-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Whole car...!

Tom

Paul A.
05-17-2017, 09:26 AM
That's a daunting task, Tom, and I'm now moving along the scale from "strongly want" to "need"...only to make the correction so much easier and quicker.

LSNAutoDetailing
05-17-2017, 09:43 AM
If you are wet sanding, first off make sure it is not metalic single stage paint. However, after a wet sand it may require a rotary, but you will definitely want to follow with a DA. Wet sanding, rotary and then DA is not for the meek of heart.

dlc95
05-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Rotary skill is very useful to have. Definitely take one for a "spin" (no pun.. ok, maybe), and see what they're all about.

I used to only use a rotary, but have found a home with orbitals. If I was going to be wetsanding a lot, I would want a rotary there just in case.

KirkH
05-17-2017, 10:05 AM
The holograms that the rotary creates freaked me out at first. You have to come behind it with a dual action to polish them away.

Just a warning not to freak out when you see holograms the first time.

TMQ
05-17-2017, 01:10 PM
Thank you everyone.

Stopped by the body shop where I used to work a to see if I could do their wet sanding and buffing. They are behind and
they are interested in having me come in and to finish out the work. There are 2 guys there that are tops in rotary work and will
coach me along the way. And they do finish out using foam to remove holograms. Can't go wrong getting some hours behind a rotary!

Again---Thanks!

Tom

Paul A.
05-17-2017, 04:04 PM
^ EXCELLENT IDEA! You'll get familiar with it much faster that way and a "coach" alongside should give you some comfort too. Good luck, Tom and let us know how you do.