PDA

View Full Version : The baggie test---afterwards

Pages : [1] 2

TMQ
05-17-2017, 06:56 AM
Got a question---Is it normal to feel bumps in the paint after doing a 3 step compound/polish a couple of months later?

Car looks super great---smooth as glass with a jeweled look. Took a baggie test last night before going to a car club meeting in preparation for a presentation---Bumps!

Now, the paint is bumpy-like. Not smooth but not sharp like sandpaper. Rough with smooth bumps in paint. Is this right?

I wash on weekly basis using ONR and couple of 2 buckets as well at other times.

Just occurred to me last night that I've not seen any discussions re baggie test after polishing the car!

Tom

Eldorado2k
05-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Got a question---Is it normal to feel bumps in the paint after doing a 3 step compound/polish a couple of months later?

Car looks super great---smooth as glass with a jeweled look. Took a baggie test last night before going to a car club meeting in preparation for a presentation---Bumps!

Now, the paint is bumpy-like. Not smooth but not sharp like sandpaper. Rough with smooth bumps in paint. Is this right?

I wash on weekly basis using ONR and couple of 2 buckets as well at other times.

Just occurred to me last night that I've not seen any discussions re baggie test after polishing the car!

Tom

Some people think I'm too harsh or expect too much... But I don't think so. IMO if it's only been 2 months since you fully clayed/polished/protected the paint and it's already begun to fail the baggie test, that's a clear indicator that whatever was used as lsp doesn't do a good job as far as protection. And I don't care if it's beading or not, because a simple spray wax after a weekly wash can maintain beading for as long as someone continues to do it, but it doesn't exactly mean a coat of protection has somehow lasted 6-8 weeks, months, or whatever they claim... The way I see it your coat of lsp has only lasted as long as it can continue to pass the baggie test and remain totally smooth.

Remember, wiping off rough paint isn't quite as nice as it should be [it should be smooth paint you're wiping down] and you can pretty much make anything bead with a quik spray wax.

Quik detailing/waterless washing/drying/or just about any form of touching of paint that isn't smooth is more likely to wind up instilling swirls.

TMQ
05-17-2017, 08:57 AM
I have the Rupes P808 sealant on the car. Should be good to go.

I'm wondering if maybe I didn't "clay" the car enough. But I would think after a compound and polish---that alone should have taken out the remaining
contaminates.

Am I wrong thinking this...?

Tom

FUNX650
05-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Just occurred to me last night that I've
not seen any discussions re baggie test
after polishing the car!

There has been the occasional discussion
where "the baggie test" has actually been
performed directly after the completion of
the correction process(es), and before the
application of an LSP.

The results have been a mixed bag---often
representative of the many issues that can
be attributed to the painting process itself.

For your specific issue I'll suggest to take
the time to redo "the baggie test" after all
the paint prep (pre-LSP) steps have, once
again, been completed.

Any area(s) that "don't feel right" can
be immediately addressed without the
interference of LSPs. Hard to diagnose
otherwise, IMO.

Bob

TMQ
05-17-2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks Bob.

Will try a couple things and see where it leads to.

Tom

Paul A.
05-17-2017, 09:44 AM
Good question, Tom. Your question seems to be "did I effectively clay 2-3 months ago?" or "did I accumulate some above surface contaminants since last done?" (I think and correct me if I'm wrong).

I always do another baggie test after I clay. Every time. That confirms I've done an effective removal. I also know that I accumulate surface crap in 2-3 months time.

Alexa4avant
05-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Where do you park near an industrial area or near train lines as contamination comes from usually man made items like lorry exhaust as well. I live near train lines and work at a factory so could easily clay my car once a month

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

MattPersman
05-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Yeah 2-3 months easy to have contaminates on paint. For me it is. I don't know if I can go a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneheadlite
05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Some people think I'm too harsh or expect too much... But I don't think so. IMO if it's only been 2 months since you fully clayed/polished/protected the paint and it's already begun to fail the baggie test, that's a clear indicator that whatever was used as lsp doesn't do a good job as far as protection. And I don't care if it's beading or not, because a simple spray wax after a weekly wash can maintain beading for as long as someone continues to do it, but it doesn't exactly mean a coat of protection has somehow lasted 6-8 weeks, months, or whatever they claim... The way I see it your coat of lsp has only lasted as long as it can continue to pass the baggie test and remain totally smooth.

Remember, wiping off rough paint isn't quite as nice as it should be [it should be smooth paint you're wiping down] and you can pretty much make anything bead with a quik spray wax.

Quik detailing/waterless washing/drying/or just about any form of touching of paint that isn't smooth is more likely to wind up instilling swirls.

Eldorado - What was the LSP you were using that had the best longevity for a clean baggie test?

Am I remembering correctly that you were using something that held up well, but then gave into the gotta-try-'m-all bug that goes around here? Since then I know I've seen your posts where some LSPs accumulate a fairly sizable amount of contaminants pretty quickly.

MattPersman
05-18-2017, 05:26 AM
I would like to know as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
05-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Tom

Hmm if your washing once a week after a good correction I would say you should not have bumps.Are you using wax or sealant?

Mike Phillips
05-18-2017, 06:01 AM

The answer is - if the car is a daily driver, that is exposed to the air i.e. the world, then "yes".

I answer "why" in this article I wrote 12 years ago on MeguiarsOnline.com - time stamp reads Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:25 AM

How often do I need to clay my car's finish? (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7494)

:)

GSKR
05-18-2017, 06:03 AM

I'm wondering if maybe I didn't "clay" the car enough. But I would think after a compound and polish---that alone should have taken out the remaining
contaminates.

Tom

I bought a 15 hot wheels camaro.So it was time for hypercritical detailing cause its mine.Purchased brand new gyeon mild clay.Got the lube the clay and bag all set up.I began lightly with the clay had bumps still.Then bumped it up with pressure and speed still bumps.I said screw this I took a nano pad with palmolive spray as a lube one good swipe no bumps.Nano the whole car glass wheels etc took me 40 minutes and was squeaky clean before correction.

TMQ
05-18-2017, 06:08 AM
Rupes P808 sealant.
I've done the 2 bucket,
ONR rinse-less
McKee's waterless

Once weather settles down a bit---I am going to do deep 2 bucket wash---divide hood in half and clay one side and do the baggie test and see what happens.
Might polish one side depending on results of the baggie test.
I just might just throw baggie in the garbage on get on with life! Grin...
The car looks great as is...

Tom

GSKR
05-18-2017, 06:09 AM

contaminates.

Tom

If you did a correction any lingering bumps should have diminished try a quality lsp.