PDA

View Full Version : Should I polish a fairly new car before waxing?

Pages : [1] 2

mossyoakglock
05-16-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm going to be detailing a 2016 Toyota Avalon with dark charcoal paint (not sure of the exact color name). When I looked the other day I did not notice any major surface defects (swirls, etc) just normal everyday defects from rocks, etc. There are a few light scratches that will need to be buffed out but those can be done by hand with ScratchX, etc.

My question is this. Since there are no major defects or swirls, do I need to both polishing? I have both UP and Pinnacle Advanced Polish.

I'll start with the standard wash and then clay and if I can skip the polish I'll go straight to wax. Will the polish step hurt if it doesn't really need it? I'll be apply with a DA and white LC pad (I also have some black pads that I could use too). If it doesn't really need a strong polish can use the black pad instead of the white?

Buster906
05-16-2017, 01:59 PM
I would try both pads and see which one yields better results

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bobby B.
05-16-2017, 02:05 PM
I would polish the paint surface using the Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish with the Lake Country White Polishing pads. Apply the Carnauba Wax with the Lake Country Black pads.

Rsurfer
05-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Do a test spot. I can't see how a 1 year + dark paint (soft) won't have quite a few swirls unless it was polished before.

mossyoakglock
05-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Do a test spot. I can't see how a 1 year + dark paint (soft) won't have quite a few swirls unless it was polished before.

The car is garage-kept and only washed by hand. I checked it yesterday in full sun and I could not see any swirl marks anywhere.

Rsurfer
05-16-2017, 02:29 PM
The car is garage-kept and only washed by hand. I checked it yesterday in full sun and I could not see any swirl marks anywhere.

Then just use a paint cleaner before waxing/sealing.

rlmccarty2000
05-16-2017, 03:04 PM
A decontamination would be good. Use iron-x then clay afterwards. You would be surprised how many contaminants are on brand new cars. After decon, wash then wax if no scratches or swirls are visible.

mossyoakglock
05-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Definitely going to clay. I'll waiting and see what the paint looks like after claying and make the determination if it needs polishing. First assessment says it doesn't but that could change.

986DTM
05-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Why not just use some sort of all in one? I don't even bother with doing much of a dedicated waxing step anymore. If you're going to be waxing by machine you may as well use an all in one and polish it at the same time. It's no extra work and you can still put some spray wax or something on top afterwards.

Toolhead
05-16-2017, 05:09 PM
did you view the car when dusty in sunlight..

my new car i did not notice the swirls until it got dusty a bit / then direct sunlight...

when it was clean it was hard to see the swirls ..little bit of dust and they jumped out.

jse67
05-16-2017, 05:20 PM
I agree with 986DTM. An all in one, such as HD Speed would make that paint "pop" and you would be surprised how good it would look.

custmsprty
05-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Get some HD Speed and a orange Buff and Shine pads and stand back and admire your work. :buffing:

idriveblackcars
05-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Why not just use some sort of all in one? I don't even bother with doing much of a dedicated waxing step anymore. If you're going to be waxing by machine you may as well use an all in one and polish it at the same time. It's no extra work and you can still put some spray wax or something on top afterwards.

I agree. This imo is the perfect example of when a AIO would be used. The customer isn't looking to get every scratch out, yet the car would look a whole lot better after a light polish wax one step.

FUNX650
05-16-2017, 05:39 PM
I'll start with the standard wash and
then clay and if I can skip the polish
I'll go straight to wax

Definitely going to clay.
I always plan on doing at least one
(light) polishing step whenever I clay.

Something else to keep in mind:
The ScratchX may not finish out to
your satisfaction: a follow-up step,
with the aforementioned (light) polish,
may be necessary. {While you're at it...
may as well (lightly) polish the rest of
the vehicle---IMO: that'll provide for a
more uniform look.}

Bob

mossyoakglock
05-17-2017, 08:22 AM
I ended up doing a full polish using UP. I tried the Pinnacle but wasn't pleased with it but I also didn't have much time to experiment with it so I went with something I've used before and knew works. We have a '95 Wrangler whose paint is pretty neglected which will be my test vehicle for the Pinnacle Compound and Polish (previous owner used it as s dedicated trail rig so you can probably imagine the Mother Nature Pinstripe that is on it). I did use the Pinnacle Souveran which I did like. We'll see how well it holds up compared to the UW that I used on my truck.

I didn't have a chance to snap a picture since it was dark but I'll have her take on this morning in the sun. I think it turned out pretty well for a weekend novice.