PDA

View Full Version : Touching up Paint Coating Blemishes

C5Longhorn
05-15-2017, 09:21 PM
This past weekend I noticed a couple of blemishes on the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating I have on my car along with a couple of faint water spots.

To remove and correct, I ended up buffing the panel with a white pad and M205. Afterwards, I reapplied the coating.

This whole process got me wondering if there are better ways to correct coating blemishes? If so, what products or what method do you use to repair?

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

k20trick
05-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Hey C5, I too had a little high spot on the paint, but with cquartz uk I guess when I wiped off the excess product it got lightly applied to the edge of the hood which I noticed the next day. I actually went back over it with 205 with white pad in that small area enough to not see the spot any further and reapplied that small area with cquartz uk.

Some people told me that you have to do the whole panel again because when you apply cquartz to that section, it will look mis-matched, however I didn't notice anything mismatched and once leveled it blended in perfect with the rest of the hood.

Others say try using the softest pad and polish by hand to lightly remove excess product that has turned into an high spot.

Maybe it was the color and black you would notice more, however my method seemed to work ok although working backwards. At least I know what to look out for on my next car.

C5Longhorn
05-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks, yes it was correctable with the 205 and recoating, but has me wondering am I always going to have to polish/recoat for any blemish?

k20trick
05-16-2017, 11:58 AM
I am assuming so, one of the downfalls of coating. I plan to leave mine alone and enjoy it for the next two years.

I think if your the type that will polish out every little blemish, then wouldn't have been better to go for something like a sealant/wax?

I think carpro makes something like essence/essence + that can do spot repairs?

BudgetPlan1
05-16-2017, 05:42 PM
How much you have to re-do depends on the coating (I think). When I used WG Uber Ceramic I noticed a high spot a few days later, used a small pad and lightly hand polished the spot away with a fine polish (WG Finishing Glaze) and just recoated that small area and it blended in fine. No big deal, a 3 minute process.

Used another pair of coatings (2 layers first one, 1 layer second one) and hadda re-do an entire panel for a high spot as the coating (s) darkened the paint a bit and spot blending didn't work.

So how much you have to do depends on the coating you use, how long it's been since initial application. With McKees Paint Coating I was able to simply buff off the high spot even 2hrs later...guess it doesn't cure quickly. Some coatings, if a high spot is seen, can be remedied by applying more coating to that area; something about the carrier solvents 'reactivating' the initial coating in the high spot area, allowing re-leveling of the area. Guessing this has a finite window of time to work successfully though.

So, I guess the answer is "It depends...". May as well start with the simplest method and proceed to the more involved if easy doesn't work.

C5Longhorn
05-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I may have to check out the Carpro product.