PDA

View Full Version : Ink on leather

Pages : [1] 2

clm65
05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
I bought my wife a new car last week. It has nice camel (tan) leather. It took all of 6 days for one of my kids to add a 2" line of blue ink on one of the seats. What is the best cleaner to use that will not damage the leather?

ScottH
05-15-2017, 08:40 PM
I removed ink from leather effortlessly with McKees 37 APC diluted 4:1. It was so easy it wasn't any fun (if that makes sense). It came off in seconds. I then applied leather protectant to the seats. Not sure how long the ink was there - was not my car.

ScottH

custmsprty
05-15-2017, 08:43 PM
And when you've removed it invest in some decent car seat covers :props:

Belair
05-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Leather Masters makes an ink remover.

clm65
05-15-2017, 09:21 PM
I removed ink from leather effortlessly with McKees 37 APC diluted 4:1. It was so easy it wasn't any fun (if that makes sense). It came off in seconds. I then applied leather protectant to the seats. Not sure how long the ink was there - was not my car.

ScottH

I'd be perfectly happy if it comes off so easily that it isn't fun. Are you referring to the McKees 37 MPC? I don't see an APC. Bonus that it is on sale. I'll have to give that a try.

clm65
05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
And when you've removed it invest in some decent car seat covers :props:

Seat covers over the leather seats? Is that normal? I'd rather get rid of the kids (just kidding!!!!).

clm65
05-15-2017, 09:26 PM

I saw that. But only 1 review, and it is 1 star. I rely a lot on the reviews the products get on this site/forum. I don't have a lot of confidence in that product, but to be honest I didn't search much for any other reviews on it. I'll do a quick look.

SharonsZamboni
05-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Seat covers over the leather seats? Is that normal? I'd rather get rid of the kids (just kidding!!!!).

Haha! Or put a ban on ink, food, drinks. My car is for transportation. Can't have dirty-making stuff in it.
Except the dog. He's got a seat cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottH
05-16-2017, 08:25 PM
I'd be perfectly happy if it comes off so easily that it isn't fun. Are you referring to the McKees 37 MPC? I don't see an APC. Bonus that it is on sale. I'll have to give that a try.

Craig this is what I was referring to:
McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus.html)

Good luck
ScottH

clm65
05-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Craig this is what I was referring to:
McKee's 37 Hi-Intensity All Purpose Cleaner Plus (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-apc-plus.html)

Good luck
ScottH

Excellent! I ordered that earlier today! I was looking in the wrong section yesterday. I also order the Leather Masters Ink Remover. It was cheap enough that I figured it was worth a try.

clm65
05-19-2017, 06:52 AM
The LM Ink Remover and MK37 APC showed up yesterday, so I went to work on the seat last night. First I tried the Ink Remover. It says it works best on ink that is 2-5 days old. My ink was 4 days old, so it was "in the window". Didn't put a dent in it. Next I gave the APC a shot. I mixed it at about 3 parts water to 1 part APC. Again, no luck. Lastly I found some OPT Power Clean in my cabinet and sprayed it on full strength. Same results. I think I may try the MK37 APC full strength next, but I'm not sure it will give any better results than the full strength Power Clean. Any other suggestions? My wife is telling me to try hairspray or rubbing alcohol, but I'm afraid those may do more damage than good. And the ink is on the side panel of the seat, so I imagine that is actually vinyl instead of leather, if that matters.

Pats300zx
05-19-2017, 07:29 AM

I agree 100% on this. Great product.

WillSports3
05-19-2017, 10:04 AM
This is going to be an odd suggestion but try using some liquid carnauba wax. Put a little bit on and then buff it off, for some reason liquid carnauba takes off a lot of different stuff from both paint and applicable interior.

AutoZeek
05-19-2017, 12:35 PM
Have you tried using a steamer? Leather is porous (it used to be skin) and maybe the steamer will help "open" it up and allow you to get the cleaner a bit deeper. Also, chatted with a friend about this very thing a while back and he explained that the leather seats a much like paint in that they have a clear coat on top. If the ink seeps in and gets below that clear coat you may only be able to dull the ink and not remove it completely because it will be in the actual fibers of the leather.
That's probably not much of a help, I'm hoping you find something that works!!

ScottH
05-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Craig very surprised the McKees APC didn't do it. As AutoZeek suggested, apply some heat in the form of steam and also try a toothbrush with the APC with no dilution.

ScottH