PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding repairing a chip!

aquarian
05-14-2017, 09:58 PM

It's really hard to capture a small chip about 1.5mmx1.5mm so please bear with me. I would like to know if the chip is into primer at all. If it's not, can I just fill the chip with a clear coat only?

Whatever that we see here the color is extremely close to the body color, which is Ibis white for Audi. If that's body color that we see in chip, I plan to over fill it with clear coat and sand it down so it's leveled with the rest of the clear coat.

Any help is really appreciated!

KirkH
05-14-2017, 10:02 PM
Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html)

aquarian
05-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Tried that on my other car. Since it contains no clear coat, the result looked horrible.

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair, dr. color chip, repair paint chips, touch-up paint, Doctor Color-Chip Paint Chip Repair (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair.html)

wing commander
05-15-2017, 01:28 AM
I use Dr. ColorChip on Mercedes paint and it is not noticeable if you take your time and do it right. Perhaps you should try again and see if you like the results better this time. That chip will need to be applied more than one layer to get best results.

fightnews
05-15-2017, 05:46 AM
My cars black and all of the chips look white. I think the white must be the primer? Get some griots detail sticks they work great for touch ups

aquarian
05-15-2017, 10:26 AM
My other car is the same color and I did apply multiple layers. Perhaps it was simply a bad color match from dr colorchip. All of the repairs will look dull as there is no clear on it.

I use Dr. ColorChip on Mercedes paint and it is not noticeable if you take your time and do it right. Perhaps you should try again and see if you like the results better this time. That chip will need to be applied more than one layer to get best results.

aquarian
05-15-2017, 10:29 AM
What's everyone's thought on mixing clear and basecoat 1:1? Would that make the final repair shiner instead of dull?