PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 or FLEX XFE7-15

Pages : [1] 2 3

DETAILROOKIE
05-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Hello all!

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I am in the market for a new polisher, upgrading from my PC 7424xp. I have heard many good things about the flex brand and have decided to stick to that brand. I have heard many good things about rupes too, but I do not have the budget for one. I have only used a PC 7424xp and a GG 3inch as far as polishers go, so which machine would I be better off moving toward?

I have started my own detailing business and I would like something with a little more power, but reliable as well.

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VitreousHumor
05-14-2017, 10:26 PM

3401 hands down. Truly is a beast. I had the PC7424xp as my first polisher also (weekend warrior). While it's an excellent tool, I never cared for losing power/rotation on curves. After getting the Flex 3401 VRG, I've pretty much never touched the PC again.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-14-2017, 10:37 PM
The forced rotation is the 3401 is freakin' awesome!!!

I had the PC7424xp as my first polisher also (weekend warrior). While it's an excellent tool, I never cared for losing power/rotation on curves.
This goes for ANY free spinning DA.

jrose0070
05-14-2017, 10:38 PM
I have both machines and I would definitely choose the 3401 hands down

DETAILROOKIE
05-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone! I wonder if these machines ever go one sale.🤔

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

jehsautosalon
05-14-2017, 10:51 PM
The detailing trading post on Facebook have a bunch of second hand Flex. And you can get the hybrid pads here at autogeek man. I'm a flex user 100% message me for any questions

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

cleanmycorolla
05-14-2017, 11:12 PM
May I ask what's wrong with the XFE7? Why don't you all like it?

Cruzscarwash
05-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Well there's a big difference in the two

The 3401 is a forced rotation so it will never stall for any reason but only has a 8mm throw

The 15 is a long throw and can/will stall but covers more ground with less passes.

Sent from my Pixel using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

kkritsilas
05-15-2017, 01:22 AM
The Forensic Detailing channel on Youtube just did a very detailed review of the XFE7-15 150 (about 30 minutes long), which would be good for you to see.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the XFE7-15 150. The situation is the same between the 3401 and any other free rotation, long throw DA. In the end, it seems to be a question of what your expectations are, what contours the cars you will be working on have, and amount of correction on the various panels that you will have to do. The 3401 doesn't care about panel curves, but it is a shorter throw machine, so will be slower on large flat panels. The long throw free rotation DAs (including the XFE7-15 150, Rupes, and GG Boss units, but there are others) can cover a lot of flat panel area in a shorter amount of time, but are, to a greater or lesser degree, prone to stalling on non-flat surfaces. As for what the XFE7-15 150 brings to the table, see the above video.

Joel1979
05-15-2017, 03:18 AM
Xfe. Large throw machine is more smoother and corrects faster and stalling is not an issue atleast not with Rupes mk2. I have all the Rupes machines and Flex PE 14-2. Rupes with mf beats Flex with purple foamed wool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT-HDo0DjJa/

WRAPT C5Z06
05-15-2017, 07:39 AM
FYI, the XFW 15 does NOT spin at 9,000 OPM on speed 6, at least compared to the industry standard. It's probably about half that. Flex has a weird way of measuring OPM. FWIW, Flex claims the 3401 runs at 9,600 OPM on speed 6, when in reality it's only 4800 OPM.

Valky
05-15-2017, 09:10 AM
Xfe. Large throw machine is more smoother and corrects faster and stalling is not an issue atleast not with Rupes mk2. I have all the Rupes machines and Flex PE 14-2. Rupes with mf beats Flex with purple foamed wool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT-HDo0DjJa/

I am second your opinion. I use MK2 and URO fiber, in my hand I can get defect out faster than Flex PE14.

Mike Phillips
05-15-2017, 12:33 PM
Flex 3401 or FLEX XFE7-15

I am in the market for a new polisher, upgrading from my PC 7424xp. I have heard many good things about the flex brand and have decided to stick to that brand.

For questions like these, I always ask

What type of detailing do you do?

Primarily production detailing or show car detailing?

Production Detailing = Using a one-step cleaner/wax for daily drivers and grocery getters. Note some people call a cleaner/wax an AIO whatever term you like but they are the same things, just different words.

Show Car Detailing = Using a dedicated compound and polish to perfect the paint and then using either a finishing wax, a finishing sealant or a ceramic or quartz paint coating. In other words, you're doing multiple steps on usually a cool car, not a grocery getter.

Or boats, rvs, motorhomes, motor coaches, semi trucks, large trailers, etc.

:)

DETAILROOKIE
05-15-2017, 01:49 PM
For questions like these, I always ask

What type of detailing do you do?

Primarily production detailing or show car detailing?

Production Detailing = Using a one-step cleaner/wax for daily drivers and grocery getters. Note some people call a cleaner/wax an AIO whatever term you like but they are the same things, just different words.

Show Car Detailing = Using a dedicated compound and polish to perfect the paint and then using either a finishing wax, a finishing sealant or a ceramic or quartz paint coating. In other words, you're doing multiple steps on usually a cool car, not a grocery getter.

Or boats, rvs, motorhomes, motor coaches, semi trucks, large trailers, etc.

:)
Thanks for all of your advice everyone!

Right now I will be doing mostly production detailing with the occasional show car detailing.