PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys clean wax applicators?

Pages : [1] 2

MrOneEyedBoh
05-13-2017, 06:55 PM
How do you guys clean wax applicators? I cleaned them using APC/ megs degreaser and they are dusting now that they are dried. I can't see tossing after one use...

derass
05-13-2017, 07:04 PM
For both foam and mircofiber applicator pads, I just wash them by hand with dish soap, rinse well, then air dry.

Kamakaz1961
05-13-2017, 07:52 PM
For both foam and mircofiber applicator pads, I just wash them by hand with dish soap, rinse well, then air dry.

+1 here too. I use very hot water and let the pads soak for about 10 minutes in a bucket of dish washing soaped up water. Then hand wash and do the same as derass.

PaulMys
05-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Exactly what I do.

mwoywod
05-13-2017, 09:23 PM
3d Towel Kleen Diluted 5:1 in spray bottle

Spray liberally onto polyfoam applicator

allow Towel kleen to dwell for 10-15 minutes

put on nitrile gloves and gently rub in circular "wax like" motions on side of sink

Rinse thoroughly in warm water

Take microfiber towel, wrap towel around poly-foam applicator or hook and loop applicator pad, squeeze into towel to remove any additional wax/sealant.

I typically rinse them out again just in case there is any soap residue remaining but I'm not sure this is really necessary

Also, I use the same procedure for AIO polishing pads when trying to remove HD Speed or Poli-seal.

On a side note, I like to blow my pads out with compressed air before I use them. Just like you would do with a microfiber pad to remove any dried soap/compound/paint residue that may not have been fully removed during the washing process. Plus it fluffs the fibers back up. I quickly do the same thing with my applicator pads

PaulMys
05-13-2017, 10:09 PM
3d Towel Kleen Diluted 5:1 in spray bottle

Spray liberally onto polyfoam applicator

allow Towel kleen to dwell for 10-15 minutes

put on nitrile gloves and gently rub in circular "wax like" motions on side of sink

Rinse thoroughly in warm water

Take microfiber towel, wrap towel around poly-foam applicator or hook and loop applicator pad, squeeze into towel to remove any additional wax/sealant.

I typically rinse them out again just in case there is any soap residue remaining but I'm not sure this is really necessary

Also, I use the same procedure for AIO polishing pads when trying to remove HD Speed or Poli-seal.

On a side note, I like to blow my pads out with compressed air before I use them. Just like you would do with a microfiber pad to remove any dried soap/compound/paint residue that may not have been fully removed during the washing process. Plus it fluffs the fibers back up. I quickly do the same thing with my applicator pads

Awesome technique. And that's how a guy introduces a show car quality result time after time.

Me? Dawn soap and air dry. Lol

Two different schools of thought for the OP........

fightnews
05-14-2017, 02:42 AM
i spray them with polishing pad cleaner and rinse or soak them in foam pad or microfiber cleaner. I usually use da pads by hand for waxing though i dont use those applicators much

Legumes
05-14-2017, 05:23 AM
I wash them by hand in the sink with dish soap and hot water. Sometimes I'll brush the faces of them with an old "soft" toothbrush. Washing them near immediately after completing a car seems to make a big difference, at least with the products I use. I have waited a few days to wash some and ended up throwing some away due to dusting.

ZiggyPopp
05-14-2017, 07:52 AM
How do you guys clean wax applicators? I cleaned them using APC/ megs degreaser and they are dusting now that they are dried. I can't see tossing after one use...

I use paint thinner when dish soap (Dawn) and hot water won't cut it. For example, I find soap and water do nothing for sealants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
05-14-2017, 08:01 AM
You guys certainly have some good cleaning techniques. Let me throw a different spin on this. If you're using an actual "wax", and can keep the applicator clean (not rubbing against dirty trim, car is clean and deconned, don't drop it), I just put the applicator in a plastic bag, or some wax containers you can squeeze the applicator in there, and just use it again without cleaning. This also works for WOWA sealants.

Another way is to get cheap applicators (they are out there, online) and throw them out after using them or if they get dirty. I've turned to these alternates because washing foam applicators is such a pain, but I still do it, I just try not to do it as much.

MrOneEyedBoh
05-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Do you think the cheap ones are okay? I've seen some cheap ones but afraid they will scratch the paint. I guess check them in a CD first?

mwoywod
05-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Do you think the cheap ones are okay? I've seen some cheap ones but afraid they will scratch the paint. I guess check them in a CD first?

I've tried every foam applicator available. I've tried my best to make the cheap ebay ones work but they are not dense enough to be good at anything really. Sometimes I use them for applying WETS to trim or FK1000p to wheels that aren't scratches sensitive but I always throw them away after one use.

I've always felt the best for applying WOWO sealants and paste waxes by hand are the pinnacle polyfoam applicators. These are known for being the very best polyfoam applicators for applying both WOWO sealants and paste waxes. It seems like a ton of guys will use them once then throw them away which is absurd to me. At $2 a piece (if purchased individually) they are developed to be durable enough to be cleaned and reused. I reuse them 5-7 times for applying LSP's to paint, then demote them down to use as my dedicated trim sealant applicator pad. If they feel too dryed out after cleaning I'll prime them with a spritz or two of Wolfgangs pads Werks conditioner before use.

The best value foam applicators and my overall favorite for price and performance are the applicators made by SM arnold. I'm not sure why AG doesn't sell them along with the other SM arnold products (I assume because they would dramatically cut the sales of pinnacles polyfoam applicators) but these applicators are VERY similar to pinnacles and I'm actually transitioning over to them because they are a bit larger which I prefer for WOWA sealants. The are just as durable and even on soft black paint I have never noticed any issues with marring when using them to applying Opti-seal. They also work great with trim sealants. And will last a very long time if cared for.

All of that being said.....
Setec may be onto something with his recommendation of throwing them into a ziplock rather than cleaning them every single time. It's certainly worth a shot!

KirkH
05-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Soak 24 hours in chemical guys pad cleaner and then hand rinse with hot water.

Rsurfer
05-14-2017, 02:33 PM
You guys certainly have some good cleaning techniques. Let me throw a different spin on this. If you're using an actual "wax", and can keep the applicator clean (not rubbing against dirty trim, car is clean and deconned, don't drop it), I just put the applicator in a plastic bag, or some wax containers you can squeeze the applicator in there, and just use it again without cleaning. This also works for WOWA sealants.

Another way is to get cheap applicators (they are out there, online) and throw them out after using them or if they get dirty. I've turned to these alternates because washing foam applicators is such a pain, but I still do it, I just try not to do it as much.

^this^ Or if you are using a paste wax, just leave the applicator you are using in the wax container.

ski2
05-14-2017, 03:52 PM
I use the double thick B&S red applicators with the notched center as they are so much more comfortable, so I really don't want to toss them after each use.

I've had good results by soaking the pad in Snappy Clean for a couple of hours and then washing them out by hand with Awsome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar Store. Works very well and even removes FK1000p.