PDA

View Full Version : wax sealant wax

Pages : [1] 2

cuvette
03-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Hello
first time to the forum and glad to be in. I would like to know if I put a sealant on my car can I put a finishing carnauba wax a few weeks after.
regards :rolleyes:

MICHEL

joe.p
03-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Hello
first time to the forum and glad to be in. I would like to know if I put a sealant on my car can I put a finishing carnauba wax a few weeks after.
regards :rolleyes:

MICHEL Welcome:The answer to your question is yes,but you wont have to wait that long 24 -36 hrs is par for a sealant to cure. you can put carnauba over a sealant as a rule of thumb, but it isn't sugested to put sealant over a carnauba.

98bmw323is
03-12-2006, 10:20 PM
what if when you let the car sit over night after applying sealant alot of dust forms on it. Should you re wash the car then apply the carnauba wax, or use something like a california duster to remove the dust ?

MachB5
03-12-2006, 10:33 PM
what if when you let the car sit over night after applying sealant alot of dust forms on it. Should you re wash the car then apply the carnauba wax, or use something like a california duster to remove the dust ?

i just use the CD or perhaps some QEW or something like it. The CD is my choice though b/c I am always paranoid of new wash swirls.;)

Sherman8r44
03-12-2006, 10:57 PM

After sitting overnight, a "waterless wash" (QD that excels at cleaning) like Poorboy's Spray and Wipe or Chemical Guys Pro Detailer should be perfect for removing light dust.

roaringlion
03-14-2006, 04:06 AM
I use a selant every time i detail my car (try every week wheather permitting) i use the DC wet-look i also would like to know if i can use the colour boost wax on it (in the states its colourX), so your saying its ok to wax after using a sealant?

ScottB
03-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I use a selant every time i detail my car (try every week wheather permitting) i use the DC wet-look i also would like to know if i can use the colour boost wax on it (in the states its colourX), so your saying its ok to wax after using a sealant?

you can always use a "pure carnuba" over a sealant as a topper. You cannot however do it the otherway around as sealants do NOT like to adhere to oils. The product ColorX however is more like a cleaner wax (I believe it contains Kaolin like NXT) and thus would remove some or all of the sealant. You will need to move to P21S, Pinnacle Sig or Souveran, DP Max Wax, Poorboys Nattys, Megs 26, or even Mothers 100% carnuba paste.

roaringlion
03-15-2006, 03:56 AM
you can always use a "pure carnuba" over a sealant as a topper. You cannot however do it the otherway around as sealants do NOT like to adhere to oils. The product ColorX however is more like a cleaner wax (I believe it contains Kaolin like NXT) and thus would remove some or all of the sealant. You will need to move to P21S, Pinnacle Sig or Souveran, DP Max Wax, Poorboys Nattys, Megs 26, or even Mothers 100% carnuba paste.
"Pure carnuba"? and why high tech yellow wax?

ScottB
03-15-2006, 11:56 AM
"Pure carnuba"? and why high tech yellow wax?

I use the term loosely, as they really is no way to spread pure carnuba on a finish. That said, the waxes I offered above have no cleaning ability and thus will enhance the look of the car without removing the sealant.

roaringlion
03-16-2006, 02:22 AM
I use the term loosely, as they really is no way to spread pure carnuba on a finish. That said, the waxes I offered above have no cleaning ability and thus will enhance the look of the car without removing the sealant.
So you would recomend using megs (we in aus dont get the other products people have mentioned in here) carnuba and/or high tech yellow wax? what about NXT wax, could i use that over the top of the DC wet-look sealant?

ScottB
03-16-2006, 10:53 AM
So you would recomend using megs (we in aus dont get the other products people have mentioned in here) carnuba and/or high tech yellow wax? what about NXT wax, could i use that over the top of the DC wet-look sealant?

NXT ... sorry but no. I has calcified kaolin in it which is a light abrasive. As such it will remove or reduce some/all of the sealant below it. Megs High Tech is a good choice, and you might still be able to find a couple cans of Megs #16 (blue tin can) as it was considered by most the best carnuba products from Megs. Unfortunately it was discontinued here due to VOC's ever increasing regulations.

roaringlion
03-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Thank you champ, would you mind if i post this sibject in the megs forum? just to see what others might say and might put another spin on the whole thing (as i like getting as much info as possible beofre trying)

nshaw65
03-18-2006, 10:28 PM
After you put carnuba wax over a sealant, how do you remove the carnuba later to apply more sealant?

Neothin
03-18-2006, 11:14 PM
you either have to wait a couple of weeks for the carnauba to deteriorate or use a paint cleaner to strip everything off and start from scratch.

joe.p
03-18-2006, 11:46 PM
NXT ... sorry but no. I has calcified kaolin in it which is a light abrasive. As such it will remove or reduce some/all of the sealant below it. Megs High Tech is a good choice, and you might still be able to find a couple cans of Megs #16 (blue tin can) as it was considered by most the best carnuba products from Megs. Unfortunately it was discontinued here due to VOC's ever increasing regulations.
I have seen megs #16 here in there. real quick Is it a decent wax.(dont want to get off topic)