PDA

View Full Version : First timer making mistakes

bym007
05-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Howdy all fine folks,

We have all been there, so please go easy...
I am based in Saudi Arabia, where is weather right now is hot and humid.

I pulled out my Flex 3401 DA last night, as wife's away for the week and I have some time to myself after work.
My car is a 2004 BMW 530i in Olivin Metallic.

So I started by washing the car. After wash, I began claying it mechanically using the Nano Skin autoscrub pad. I did the hood.
The chemicals I have at hand are Scholl S3 Gold, so I began compounding the hood with it. The pads of choice were Lake Country Hybrid Orange.
I did a few passes (about 2 minutes each section of 2x2 roughly). After IPA wipe down I inspected it, and noticed most of the scratches had gone away. However, I still saw some deeper scratches, and a very prominent bird dropping mark. After second pass, these would not go away. So I completed compounding the hood. I now had lovely clarity and depth in the paint.

I then pulled out Scholl S30 for Fine Polishing Step 2. I also switched to Lake Country Hybrid White pads. After first section wiping down, I noticed hollow marks.

I had another pass, but these would not go away.
I had to stop working to avoid inducing further hollow marks.

So what is happening here? The temperature was approx 91'F if that makes any difference, and I was working in covered basement.

I have Lake Country Hybrid Orange, White, and a few yellow and black pads.
Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips
05-12-2017, 12:10 PM
I then pulled out Scholl S30 for Fine Polishing Step 2. I also switched to Lake Country Hybrid White pads. After first section wiping down, I noticed hollow marks.

I had another pass, but these would not go away.

I had to stop working to avoid inducing further hollow marks.

So what is happening here? The temperature was approx 91'F if that makes any difference, and I was working in covered basement.

Hi bym007,

Here's your picture inserted so we can all see what's happening...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101/57134d1494606519-first-timer-making-mistakes-2jpg

To me it looks like it's either a film of product you're not getting wiped off or the pad/product is marring the paint and leaving buffer trails.

I'd suggest re-polishing JUST A SECTION of an area were you see the above only use the black finishing pad and DON'T buff to a dry buff.

Then inspect.

Could be something real simple.

:)

bym007
05-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Hi bym007,

Here's your picture inserted so we can all see what's happening...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/auto-detailing-101/57134d1494606519-first-timer-making-mistakes-2jpg

To me it looks like it's either a film of product you're not getting wiped off or the pad/product is marring the paint and leaving buffer trails.

I'd suggest re-polishing JUST A SECTION of an area were you see the above only use the black finishing pad and DON'T buff to a dry buff.

Then inspect.

Could be something real simple.

:)

Thanks for your input Mike.

Just going to confirm this. Shall I be trying the Black Pad with Scholl's S30 ?
I will be protecting it with WG DGPS 3.0.

-Babar