PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Black Hellcat advice

ayyyitskbo
05-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Hello guys I'm new to this forum but I've been a lurker for quite some time. I plan to do a clients 2016 pitch black hellcat challenger next week and I'm looking for some advice. I plan on using LC 6.5" and 3.5" white thin pro pads on a GG G21 and a PC with M205. I did a test spot on speed setting 3.5 with light to medium pressure for the client late at night. The majority of the scratches were removed but I haven't been back to see the end result in the daytime This is his weekend driver and isn't overly concerned with "being show car ready", he just wants the swirls removed.

My question is regarding the M205. I know that it can sometimes leave a light haze behind and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this setup on this car? I also have SF3500 at the moment for a finishing polish if that might be better.

Mike Phillips
05-12-2017, 07:17 AM
My question is regarding the M205. I know that it can sometimes leave a light haze behind and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this setup on this car?

On softer paints, M205 can leave micro-marring without some extra work, time and technique. I like M205 but there are other polishes that will do the job without having to invest the extra work, time and technique.

That said, simply do some testing and inspect your results. If you really want to be sure the results you see are the true results then chemically strip your test spot and inspect with good light. For a chemical stripper you can use any of the following,

Mineral Spirits
Isopropyl Alcohol diluted with water to create a 25% strength mixture (I have an article on this if you want it)
Glass cleaner
Any brand name product for prepping paint for a ceramic coating

The glass cleaner is the easy one as most people have it around and most glass cleaners are around 10% alcohol.

Spray or wipe any of the above over the test spot section and then inspect. If you see something that looks like this

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/773/MicromarringTickMarks01.jpg

then test the Menzerna over JUST HALF of the area you polished with the Meguiar's M205 and then repeat the test.

I also have SF3500 at the moment for a finishing polish if that might be better.

Both the Meguiar's and the Menzerna polishes use top shelf abrasive technology, one is SMAT and the other is DAT so results can vary depending upon the paint and other factors.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-12-2017, 07:18 AM
I did a test spot on speed setting 3.5 with light to medium pressure for the client late at night.

Make sure you see good pad rotation if not, bump up your speed setting.

:)

Don M
05-12-2017, 07:53 AM
I'd listen to Mike :)

ayyyitskbo
05-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Thank you Mike for the advice. I never thought to use a glass cleaner to remove the oils left behind. I'll have to give it a try!