PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning weather tech floor mats

Pages : [1] 2

Coopers ST
05-11-2017, 04:14 PM
Is there anything better or maybe more cost effective to clean weathertech floor mats other than their kit?

Typerx
05-11-2017, 04:35 PM
I have always just used diluted APC (I use Optimum's product) and a medium stuff bristled brush (and a hose). This is certainly an effective and low cost way of cleaning them. I am not sure why you need to buy their proprietary cleaner....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawnuff
05-11-2017, 04:40 PM
I just tried this weekend armor all multi purpose cleaner on mine $3 bucks for the bottle, just sprayed on let it sit for 5min and didn't scrub just washed off and man they came out great, looking brand new again. I didn't expect to get great results from that product, but i did.

briarpatch
05-11-2017, 04:47 PM
I use MEGs APC at 2:1. Spray, allow to dwell, brush with medium brush...rinse. Apply WeatherTech protector...they look good....not slippery

Coopers ST
05-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Do they come out black still with just apc? I can get them clean, not dark like when new.

Shawnuff
05-11-2017, 05:02 PM
You will probably need some sort of dressing on them to get them really black, i wonder if you can use a tire coating on them.

Coopers ST
05-11-2017, 05:04 PM
I worry about making them slippery.

oboroballa03
05-11-2017, 05:08 PM
I used their kit for the first time this past weekend and the end look is great. I applied the protectant twice because the first time it didnt look good to me but after the second application it looked good. I am gonna try to use my meguiars or mckees 37 apc then their protectant since it doesnt make them slippery to see if it gives them an equal shine compared to using their dedicated cleaner because they are a lil pricey imo.

Typerx
05-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Mine don't lighten tremendously after cleaning, but if you want them deep black I would *lightly* wipe with 303 and then wipe again with a damp towel. But, to me clean (and not dressed) mats are just fine

LittleKing24
05-11-2017, 05:16 PM
I haven't used the weathertech cleaner, so I can't speak of its cost effectiveness. However, I can say that the protectant is cost effective. I'm sure you could treat dozens of mats with one bottle. Just be sure to follow the directions for optimal(and cost effective) results. As far as a cleaner, I would follow mike Phillips advice. Find something you like, and use it often.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

FUNX650
05-11-2017, 05:34 PM
I worry about making them slippery.
That's why I use WeatherTech's
protector---it has an anti-slip finish.

Bob

PaulMys
05-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Mine don't lighten tremendously after cleaning, but if you want them deep black I would *lightly* wipe with 303 and then wipe again with a damp towel. But, to me clean (and not dressed) mats are just fine

My technique to a T.

Wash, dry, wipe with 303.

Not at all slippery either.

k20trick
05-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Trim shine works wonders on them, you can wipe off excess with a mf and it will look brand new.

Toolhead
05-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Its plastic so trim sealant should work well

LEDetailing
05-11-2017, 07:10 PM
I usually just use my left over wash water and the following brushes:

The trick to getting my Weathertechs perfect is using two brushes, first i use this brush Low Profile Tire Brush (http://www.autogeekmobile.net/low-profile-tire-brush.html)

Followed up with a second brush not sold by AG. Basically it's a generic parts washing brush with densely packed, stiff flex, soft tipped bristles.

I could never get the nooks and crannies of the Weathertechs perfectly clean until using the second brush. Edited: This brush is awesome at cleaning pedals too.

No dressing on mine. The trick to keeping the black Weathertechs looking new is frequent cleaning. Once the Weathertechs get scratched from dirt and debris they will never look new.