PDA

View Full Version : Noob product recommendations

Rejiggered
05-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Hello all,

First time poster (be gentle). I'm a humble beginner looking for some guidance to take care of my car. I've spent months scouring the forums and reading/learning, but I thought I'd reach out for opinions, which I'm sure are many. Quick background: I just bought a 2014 silver Lexus is350. There was one previous owner who mechanically babied it (dealer oil changes every 5k, etc), but the paintwork could use some love. I think it must've lived outside. There are probably 3-5 RIDS and maybe 10-15 smaller shallower scratches (RISS ?). Otherwise the paint seems in generally good condition (at least to my noob eye). Anyway, I'd like to improve those RIDS and eliminate those shallower ones. I don't know what work was previously done on it, if any.

My current gameplan with a pretty limited budget:

- pick up a Griots 6
- Meguiar's 5" Microfiber DA kit

I'm looking to keep things as simple as possible, hence the interest in the beginner-friendly kit which generally seems positively received. But I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I'm looking to get enough cut to get rid of the scratches, but also wonder how much car I need to take with the ones that are precariously close to character lines on the various panels. I can't/don't want to experiment buying a ton of product or aspire to become a pro, just want to fix my car up.

Thanks, Steve

Setec Astronomy
05-11-2017, 11:40 AM
That's a good selection, IMO. For best results you want a small air compressor to blow out the MF pads between passes, one of those <$100 ones is fine (which you may already have, or can borrow).