PDA

View Full Version : Need Quick Help to Remove Paint Blob

marchese_alexander
05-10-2017, 06:50 PM
I got my car detailed today and told the guy to fix a rock chip but I was surprise to see a blob of paint. I read online to use paint or lacquer thinner to remove the excess paint, but I went to Advance Auto Parts and a employee told me that it would damage the clear coat. The touch up paint is from automotivetouchup.com. Any help will be appreciated as I want to remove it as quickly as possible.

Is ist safe to use paint/lacquer thinner on the clear coat?
Which one is safer to use paint thinner or lacquer thinner?
Is nail polish (non-acetone) remover a good idea to use? Safe?

Buster906
05-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Do you feel comfortable wet sanding? Once you remove the paint blob, I recommend Dr Colorchip. Tape off the blob with painter tape. With the nail polish remover, use a qtip to dab a very small portion of the blob and monitor the softening process. Only my thoughts

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Crispy
05-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Why not take it back to the Detailing guy?

2black1s
05-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Acetone or lacquer thinner should work without damaging the clear coat. The fresh paint will dissolve rather quickly while it would take some period of time for the acetone or lacquer thinner to damage the clear coat. Just use a little common sense... you're not going to be bathing the clear coat in the solvent for any extended period. Just dampen a rag or q-tip and wipe away the blob. Paint thinner may not have any affect and wet sanding is a definite no unless you're experienced. I'd be going the acetone or lacquer thinner route myself... The sooner the better.

DBAILEY
05-11-2017, 03:37 AM
You could fashion your own denibber. Take a razor blade (rectangle ones not the trapezoid ones for utility knives) and wrap some masking tape around the ends of the razor leaving the middle of the razor exposed that is just wider than the blob. place masking tape on each side of the blob. Lay the razor flat on the panel and slice the blob off gliding in along the tape. Then you have less wet sanding to worry about.

Sounds crude, but it works.

Setec Astronomy
05-11-2017, 06:04 AM
Lacquer thinner will wipe that blob right out of the chip without damaging the clearcoat (presuming what you have around the blob is factory paint).

Or you can do you own "Langka" by wrapping a piece of old t-shirt around a credit card (that you don't use anymore), dampening the cloth with the lacquer thinner, and shaving the blob down.

GSKR
05-11-2017, 06:16 AM
I got my car detailed today and told the guy to fix a rock chip but I was surprise to see a blob of paint. I read online to use paint or lacquer thinner to remove the excess paint, but I went to Advance Auto Parts and a employee told me that it would damage the clear coat. The touch up paint is from automotivetouchup.com. Any help will be appreciated as I want to remove it as quickly as possible.

Is ist safe to use paint/lacquer thinner on the clear coat?
Which one is safer to use paint thinner or lacquer thinner?
Is nail polish (non-acetone) remover a good idea to use? Safe?

Won't hurt it unless single stage.

Viper1973
05-11-2017, 10:06 AM
I've used Klean-Strip Prep-All (available at autoparts stores). It'll take it off usually for about a week if you use a microfiber towel with it. It doesn't hurt paint at all. After that, you're going to need something stronger.

Natron
05-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Acetone (fingernail polish remover) and a q-tip. Nathan