PDA

View Full Version : Solution Finish??

Bicycle
05-09-2017, 10:34 PM
I need something to restore the plastic/vinyl on my vehicle that won't run. Will this product do that?
Is there another product less expensive that would have similar results?
Thanks

Photomask
05-10-2017, 12:14 AM
I have had very good luck with it. It is more expensive than some products but it is worth every penny in my experience. Much of what you ask revolves around how long you want mitigating restoration to last. If you plan on retreating every few weeks then many dressings may meet your expectations. If you want longer term improvement, (and even that is temporary), spend the money now and get the good stuff. Do the research, do the cleaning & prep work, take the appropriate safety precautions for yourself and the vehicle in question. YMMV based on the type of plastics/vinyls you are treating. It prefers substrates that are porous and there is a great diversity of materials in a car.

Jaretr1
05-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Solution Finish is a fantastic product. The key to getting great lasting results from any plastic trim restoration product is to make sure the surface is clean. Make sure to follow the instructions.

Natron
05-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Great stuff, a little goes a long way.

Bicycle
05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. Order on the way.
Should I use a sealant on top of it??

fightnews
05-10-2017, 10:40 AM
I have had very good luck with it. It is more expensive than some products but it is worth every penny in my experience. Much of what you ask revolves around how long you want mitigating restoration to last. If you plan on retreating every few weeks then many dressings may meet your expectations. If you want longer term improvement, (and even that is temporary), spend the money now and get the good stuff. Do the research, do the cleaning & prep work, take the appropriate safety precautions for yourself and the vehicle in question. YMMV based on the type of plastics/vinyls you are treating. It prefers substrates that are porous and there is a great diversity of materials in a car.

My plastic trims in good shape. If I was to use solution finish on it could I still use trim sealant on top periodically

Whitewater25
05-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Many here have said that topping it greatly increases its longevity. I like its look but without topping it,it lasted about 2 months before it started to fade. I have not had time to do it again & top it. I am going to top with Dlux when I am able to get to it.

Photomask
05-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Think of Solutions Finish in terms of restorative application. Putting it on good molding is a waste of time and product. Putting it on deteriorated molding will mitigate the appearance and make it look better. After at least a week of curing is a good time to begin a routine of protective coating to increase the longevity of your restorative efforts. DLUX is one of many good options for a protective coating.

Solutions Finish can be used on plastics that are not black. It will darken lighter colors but in some applications that is desirable. I recently used it on some light gray plastic on the front bumper of a 15 year old Dodge pickup and it darkened more than expected but looked fantastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

suttonri
09-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Don't know where to put these pictures. Not a SF review, just a couple of pictures of freshly-applied Solution Finish. I SF'd my nerf bar plastic before dinner. The steps are about 9 months old with no treatment other washing. 1st picture is SF'd on the right, prepped on the left. 2nd pic is 2 coats on the right, 1 coat on the left. The Forensic Detailing guy on YouTube says appearance and longevity really increase with 2 coats. I certainly agree about the appearance.6025960260
Longevity to be determined though the bed & rear bumper trim look better than the untreated stuff 2 months out.
Process & Materials
1. Wash with Meguiars Deep Crystal Shampoo & Chenille MF.
2. Rinse & blow dry with shop vac.
3. Clean with Solution Finish Prep at 1:4 dilution and Lake Country scrubbing sponge. Lake Country Precision Power Yellow Scrubbing Applicator (http://www.autogeek.net/yellow-precision-hand-app.html)
4, Rinse & blow dry with shop vac.
5. Apply SF with MF applicator, wait 2 minutes, wipe with cheap Harbor Freight MF towel.
6. Repeat step 5 after 15 minutes.

Took about 30 minutes to do.

Rsurfer
09-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys. Order on the way.
Should I use a sealant on top of it??

Think of Solutions Finish in terms of restorative application. Putting it on good molding is a waste of time and product. Putting it on deteriorated molding will mitigate the appearance and make it look better. After at least a week of curing is a good time to begin a routine of protective coating to increase the longevity of your restorative efforts. DLUX is one of many good options for a protective coating.

Solutions Finish can be used on plastics that are not black. It will darken lighter colors but in some applications that is desirable. I recently used it on some light gray plastic on the front bumper of a 15 year old Dodge pickup and it darkened more than expected but looked fantastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Solution Finish + Dlux = Awesome

suttonri
09-22-2017, 06:41 PM
Solution Finish + Dlux = Awesome

How do you think Dlux would coat the texture on those nerf bar steps?

Rsurfer
09-22-2017, 07:08 PM
I would continue using SF only as this is a high traffic area. Dlux doesn't like to be topped.